Gordon Kaye R I P

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Gordon Kaye R I P

Post by Gregg1100 »

2017 seems to have carried on from the lousy 2016 for celeb passings.
Gordon Kaye, who played Renee Atois in Allo, Allo died suddenly today, aged 75.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gorden Kaye R I P

Post by Sinned »

Gorden Kaye is another of those comedy actors that will be sorely missed. As I regularly say to my customers before midday, "As they would say on 'Allo, 'Allo Good moaning."

BTW I saw an episode of NCIS LA last night and noticed an epitaph at the end "Miguel Ferrer 1955-2017" Lately playing Owen Granger in NCIS LA but also appeared in Robocop. Hey I have just realised that he was the same age as I am now. :shock:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gordon Kaye R I P

Post by Gregg1100 »

Good moaning---how that fella ever kept a straight face, or any of them. Officer Crabtree
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Nobody seems to have bothered with Allo Allo then ??
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gorden Kaye R I P

Post by Sinned »

How do you mean Gregg? Gorden was a natural for the part. Episodes of Allo Allo are being aired on satellite and I have watched them when I can.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I am a proud owner of the box set, it's very big! I used to love watching it with my parents. It started out as a brilliant farce but after a break away when I went back to it and Herr Flick was being played by a different actor, the Italian had joined and a few other caste changes I thought it lost the plot. I have started watching through the box set but the curse of the Sky box takes too much of my time just trying to keep up!
Still, sorry to see Gordon Kaye has passed, it seems like every week another one goes!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Sinned- for such a good comedy actor, I thought there may have been more comments, that's all. I have the whole series on 9 sets of dvd-- worth every penny. Kim Hartman as Helga, Kirsten Cooke as Michelle Dubois and Vicki Michelle as Yvette were great looking ladies.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

It was also very popular in the Netherlands. That type of humor is so different (in a positive way) from what I see on the US screens, even with the uber-stereotyping of the actors.
I visited Nouvion in France during one of my bike tours but René's cafe was nowhere to be found. :(
P6080069q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:[Allo, allo] was also very popular in the Netherlands. That type of humor is so different (in a positive way) from what I see on the US screens, even with the uber-stereotyping of the actors.
I am tangentially aware of the series but never got a chance to see an episode.

Very sadly, yes, US humour is vastly more crass and lacking in subtlety than "Brit" humour -- and I vastly prefer the latter style, especially when it involves dead-panning an entirely preposterous situation. I'm sorry to have missed that one, but one cannot be everywhere at once.

As far as 2017 getting off to a roaring start, the US lost Mary Tyler Moore this past week. She had a long and storied career on both the small screen and the large, and also as an advocate and activist to try to stomp out childhood diabetes.

We're only four weeks in. Who's next?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

On the subtlety of British humour I recall the following joke:

A man says to his comrade, "I passed your house yesterday."
And the other guy said, "Thank you."

As for Allo Allo the way the characters were stereotyped was so much of the fun. Even the French and Germans accents and the British airmen trying to get home. Absolutely priceless. I wonder if the French and Germans found it as funny. The introduction of the painting of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies was classic.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

One of my favorite shows, Rene always ledva charmed life. Brilliantly played by Gorden Kaye. Supported by a whole host of other brilliant actors.

Such a sad end to a brilliant mind, dementia the living death. Happily a large legacy of his work remains. R.I.P.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:On the subtlety of British humour I recall the following joke:

A man says to his comrade, "I passed your house yesterday."
And the other guy said, "Thank you."
That is beautiful!

I've always preferred that style of humour because sometimes what's not said is vastly funnier than what is. Real world example: A number of years ago, I visited a local liquor-store, picked up a 12-pack of Bass Ale (which, even now, remains my "home" brew) and a jar of dry-roasted peanuts and took them to the checkout. The proprietor rang the purchase up and entirely innocently and helpfully asked, "Would you like a bag for your nuts?" Now, as one would immediately imagine there are any number of wise responses possible to that query; I dead-panned it, paused slightly and simply asked, "Pardon?" It took a couple of seconds for it to sink in, but to this day he and I can still laugh about it; for weeks it was impossible for me to walk into the place without chucking erupting at some point. Peanut sales, have sadly been discontinued in favour of crisps and pretzels. [0]

Thank you for the video clip; the characters do seem familiar, and the lines even more-so.

[0] Note to self. Ask the good man what happened to the peanuts...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote: ... Note to self. Ask the good man what happened to the peanuts...
Better than asking "What happened to your nuts :?: "

:hide:
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

(Where's that ladder at - - I need to climb out of the gutter ;) )
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There are several interpretations as to the meaning of the joke and that's the cleverness of the humour.