Internet troubleshooting

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Internet troubleshooting

Post by moonshadow »

All better!

Gotta get to work now, will flickr up tonight!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

OK, what got done to bring the thing back into spec?

Did you do it, or did TPC [0]?

In any event, let's hope it holds. Lucky me, I get to deal with a 6 Mb/s link that usually nets about 4, and if my machines push hard enough I can throttle the traffic for my house-mates which I don't like doing. Hence, I tend to rate-limit what my subnet can do vis-a-vis the outside world.

[0] The 'Phone Company ("We don't care. We don't have to.")
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

crfriend wrote:OK, what got done to bring the thing back into spec?

Did you do it, or did TPC [0]?

In any event, let's hope it holds. Lucky me, I get to deal with a 6 Mb/s link that usually nets about 4, and if my machines push hard enough I can throttle the traffic for my house-mates which I don't like doing. Hence, I tend to rate-limit what my subnet can do vis-a-vis the outside world.

[0] The 'Phone Company ("We don't care. We don't have to.")

We went with Comcast and got right of Centurylink . Got cable High Speed Internet now 75mbps or higher.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hummmm, the jury is still out.

Jenn reported tonight that her computer was back down to 0.19. How odd, and speaking of odds, what are the odds? An entirely different network infrastructure. However all that being said, I haven't experienced it personally as it seems to be working normally as of when I got home. Then again, I got home at 1230 am.

We'll see what it's like tomorrow. I had a pretty good feeling I was going to have to pay for a modem/phone repairs so I just opted to upgrade to cable net (if I'm going to spend the money anyway). If we still have the same problem, well, that's just downright bizarre.

Now with this, I'm just going to wait and see. I'm starting to wonder if this place is haunted.

I do know cable is a bit of a moving target as you share bandwidth with neighbors in a "node", so I don't really expect a solid 75 downlink 24/7, however 0.19 is literally back where we started from. We shall see.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gheesh! I just uploaded 35 megabytes of photos in about 10 seconds..... ! :D

In the past, I had plenty of time to name and organize all of the files while they were uploading, and go eat lunch. Then come back an hour later and they might be finished...

Comcast must have a direct link to the yahoo servers! :alien:
-Andrea