T.V. & Politics

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

T.V. & Politics

Post by Uncle Al »

This cartoon should bring a smile to anyone :D

Quite a bit of truth in these words by Edward R. Murrow.
The former CBS News anchor has been the pinnacle of
broadcasting excellence for many years. Some of our
local broadcasters have received the "Edward R. Murrow
Award" for excellence in news broadcasting.
Second best, to me that is, would be Walter Cronkite.

Another great quote is . . . . . . "To be persuasive we must be believable;
to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful."

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: T.V. & Politics

Post by crfriend »

That didn't bring a smile -- that provoked an outright outburst of laughter! Thank you for that.

Also Ernie Kovacs: "Television is a medium, so called because it is neither rare nor well-done. " or the entire content of Newton Minnow's "Vast Wasteland" speech (which is an amazing read/listen) from none other than the head of the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) in 1961.

I miss the old-school "news readers" from the BBC back before "News" became the on-air op-ed page and more opinion/editorialising than actual news. I neither need nor request opinion: I can form my own. What I need are facts, not opinions masquerading as facts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:I miss the old-school "news readers" from the BBC back before "News" became the on-air op-ed page and more opinion/editorializing than actual news. I neither need nor request opinion: I can form my own. What I need are facts, not opinions masquerading as facts.
I must agree with you on your last statement. BUT all you can find on the glass teat is nothing near the facts of a story or the truth. You are supposed to swallow the glib statements made by the talking head as the truth. But so many times (in fact 99% of the time) it is not anywhere near the truth. It is their own idea of the truth as they and they only see it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

This is why I liked reading the paper. Opinions and commentary were reserved for the "OPINION" page, most everything else was straight up news articles. The detail of the articles were more in depth than what you see on the television or hear on radio news. You could really break the story down and study it. There are no sound bytes, no quick one liners... just the story as the reporter reports it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The obvious difference was that in those days, politicians were ASHAMED to be caught in a LIE...they didn't respond by DOUBLING DOWN on the flagrant lie. And voters were not so jaded that neither lies not truth mattered to them...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Al,
I'll go back to Carl's statement, I too laughed out loud at that.

I too am a big admirer of Edward R. Murrow. In Costco one time I found a collection of DVD's of his most famous broadcasts.

Moon,
Up to a point I'll agree with you. The point where I get off is NPR and on TV the PBS Newshour.

Fred,
You might like the suggestions I made to Moon as well.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Dave NPR really take a look at the Mark Twain quote listed by Dillon on the Your own reality blog
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bias exists in all media today. It's up to the "consumer" of it to use multiple sources, sort things out, and arrive at a conclusion. Use of a single source sets one up for abject failure. This, of course, takes time and effort, and most are not willing to take that time nor expend the effort to gain a broad picture -- and that's one of the reasons we're in the mess we're we've got now.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, what you say is true of this site as well. There's an awful lot of factual information on here on a variety of subjects - fashion, gender, guns, kilts, philosophy, politics, religion, skirts and so on but there's an awful lot of opinion too and advice. We disagree even on some very basic subjects and that's not a bad thing as long as it is controlled in a mature and adult way. But it does mean that even though we are all intelligent, well-informed and erudite we still have to search through the posts and the contents and often take the consensus before we resolve things in our own minds. :wink:

BTW please there is no sense of irony or sarcasm in what I have said although I could have added question marks against a few items to highlight the possible sources of such. I'll let you do the mechanics and I am sure that you are capable of seeing the humour. :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Carl, what you say is true of this site as well.
Indeed, and I've never hinted otherwise. Disagreement is a fact of life, and it's down to how we handle it -- and usually we do a pretty good job on the latter facet. The better we learn how to handle the inevitable disagreements the better people we become; the reverse is also true. Opinion is extraordinarily difficult to exclude from conversation, and the smarter the audience usually means a wider variance in same. Unfortunately, that wider variance means that the thin-skinned will perceive insult and feel wounded and those who hold unpopular views better have rhinoceros-grade skins.

The above having been said, however, I am very seriously reinstating the outright ban on politics and religion as topics because there are a few characters who do not seem to be able to control their passions in a genteel manner, and I find the resulting rancour distressing. I'm a great proponent of robust debate, but when it comes to thin skins, "calling out", and name-calling I get disgusted, and I rather suspect that others do, too, including folks who are "looking in from outside". Are the above behaviours likely to make the place look congenial and welcoming?
BTW please there is no sense of irony or sarcasm in what I have said although I could have added question marks against a few items to highlight the possible sources of such. I'll let you do the mechanics and I am sure that you are capable of seeing the humour. :)
No need. I'm reasonably good with the language, but thanks for the heads-up. It's been a bad day in Moderatorville.
Last edited by crfriend on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swapped a word for better effect
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Carl, you have become a calm voice in the wilderness of the muck and mire of politics. I for one applaud the measures you are taking to stop the bickering.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, it must be irksome monitoring the political and religious input but I would be sad to see it go. I have learned a lot about how the government works in the USA but till don't fully understand it. I know I could google or wiki it but that isn't as much fun. I don't get the sort of detail that is provided here. You have shown an inordinate amount of skill and tolerance in steering through some tough sessions. But you are as a country going to be going through some interesting times with the Donald Presidency as is Great Britainshire or the disUnited Kingdom or whatever it is called with Brexit, Scottish Independence and other issues. Not being able to discuss these would be a sad loss.

So those of you out there remember that not everyone agrees with you, everyone has a right to their own opinion and it's the facts, the news that we wamt, particularly in political comment, not opinion. I am not interested in whether you are really for the Donald or against and whatever he does his supporters are NOT and I repeat NOT your enemies as someone recently said. I am interested in how what happens affects you and if there is anything you can do to alleviate the effects. Think hard before you post in case what you can say can upset someone. It's in your hands - if you want to topics banned as opposed to monitored then continue as you are.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote:
The above having been said, however, I am very seriously reinstating the outright ban on politics and religion as topics .
Is the word "considering" missing there?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote:
crfriend wrote:The above having been said, however, I am very seriously reinstating the outright ban on politics and religion as topics.
Good catch. It is, indeed, missing -- and I'm not sure what happened to it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:
partlyscot wrote:
crfriend wrote:The above having been said, however, I am very seriously reinstating the outright ban on politics and religion as topics.
Good catch. It is, indeed, missing -- and I'm not sure what happened to it.
It went "Walk About" :lol: