SpaceX RTF

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: SpaceX RTF

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote:Will the Cape need to build a heavier duty launch pad? I'm not sure the existing launch facilities could handle the "Pressure" from the rocket blast.
Actually, all modern launch facilities divert all the vertical thrust sideways beneath the vehicle because if they didn't the reflected shock-wave of the ignition would destroy the vehicle. Watch any modern launch and you'll see the flame and exhaust diverted out from under the pad before the vehicle is released.

The water-dousing at ignition and launch is a noise-suppression mechanism that helps keep the vehicle from being damaged by the acoustic energy.

Launches are spectacular things, and involve a whole bunch of moving parts. To crib the line from Rush's Countdown [0], "It's a magic day when super-science meets the bright stuff of dreams", for without dreams -- and those who dream them -- nothing is possible.

[0] Watch the video very closely for the non-band action. The exhaust plume from under the pad is clearly visible, and I love that late-60s tech in the launch control room -- CRTs and Nixie tubes. For the win! The slow-motion sequence of Main Engine Start shows why the vehicle is held captive until the thrust is stable; that's what caused most of the early launch failures before we learned to do it right. It's a pity that "Shuttle" was quite probably the most dangerous vehicle ever designed, but what a show!

The video resonates heavily with me as the footage was of Columbia's maiden launch. I personally witnessed her last from a vantage-point a couple of miles away -- and then watched on the telly as the pieces fell back to Earth a couple of weeks later. Sometimes dreams go horribly wrong; but we cannot stop dreaming. Ever onward!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

"No announcements have made concerning where to buy tickets, but they are talking about a price of $200,000 to Mars." One-way or return?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:"No announcements have made concerning where to buy tickets, but they are talking about a price of $200,000 to Mars." One-way or return?
I do believe that is a one way ticket, but it will be an "E" ride for sure.

For those of you who don't understand the "E" ride comment. Look up Walt Disney parks history.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I do believe that $200,000 is the estimate for a one way ticket, but they are planning on offering a return if wanted.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

partlyscot wrote:I do believe that $200,000 is the estimate for a one way ticket, but they are planning on offering a return if wanted.
Rental of space suit highly recommend and there will be THAT FEE
Don't forget if you have baggage personal belongings there will be THAT FEE
You want meals there will be THAT FEE
Liquids 3-3-1 TSA Check OK FREE
You must bring along your own Oxygen Generator or pay THAT FEE
Use of the Blue (restroom) there will be THAT FEE
Frequent flyer points miles etc. not applicable unless you are one of our premier astronauts
Pre-Check early boarding is FREE - boarding commences 1 year before lift off
If you weigh more than 150 # 68 kg there will be THAT FEE for overweight * therefore the
1 year early boarding to reduce weight to a manageable level
Insurance not offered you would not be able to collect in space anyway

but they are planning on offering a return if wanted
Emergency escape jet-pod offered at 200 % of the one-way trip - only offered in the ionosphere
Includes FREE AAA tow back to launch platform

*Optional Companion Pass rider - you may take MacGyver along for the unexpected space fix

Still interested - need brochure - contact our reservation office in 10 years for further data
Eligibility terms subject to change also time course speed direction subject to solar streaming data

Now showing at a theatre near you "Star Wars the Force visits Mars" XXXVIII
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I take it that Ryanair will be the carrier for the journey. Do you need a passport and/or Visa for the trip? What happens if you lose your passport on Mars, how do you get a replacement? Is your credit/debit card valid on Mars? Will there be a McDonalds on Mars? :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

There won't be a McDonalds, but there will be a Walmart Super-Store.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ryanair might get you there, perhaps 45 minutes ahead of schedule, but you'll have to walk several miles in your spacesuit to the terminal building from the stand. Beware, though, Mr. O'Leary might in the meantime have a row with the Martian airport authorities and decide not to use their airport any more, preferring to use Mars-Phobos instead.
For those interested, Phobos is a Martian moon, not really very far from the planet!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Expensive taxi ride from Phobos.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too right! However there are cheaper ones, but they are significantly slower as they call by Diemos (Mars's other moon) on the way.

Btw. On one of the last Mars Rover pictures, the golden arms of a local McDonald's were clearly visible in the background, so no problem there for our adventurers.....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Just now the SpaceX CRS-10 Dragon spacecraft has just launched from Launch Complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center on a Falcon 9 Full Thrust rocket. CRS-10 is the first launch from Kennedy Space Center since the launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis in 2011.
らき☆
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Brilliant!

It's wonderful to see things work to perfection.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Did you see this marvellous drone's eye view of the landing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEvogjdEVY
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Judah14 wrote:Just now the SpaceX CRS-10 Dragon spacecraft has just launched from Launch Complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center on a Falcon 9 Full Thrust rocket. CRS-10 is the first launch from Kennedy Space Center since the launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis in 2011.
And now it's been announced that the SpaceX Dragon capsule has successfully docked with the ISS. A new era in space travel/exploration with a private enterprise entering the realm!