Importance

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Importance

Post by crfriend »

I like Dave's list; it seems to hit many of the high points. I'd be tempted to lightly re-order it a bit and drop at least one ("unrepresentative government") because I do not want to even contemplate what this current pack of scoundrels and scallywags will come up with.

As far as Trump goes, "Get over it. He won." He can also be controlled, insofar as mega-issues like tripping a nuclear war go. We could, and should have, done better, but, as we (as a nation) did in 1980, we went to the polls mad and picked a loser. Lather, rinse, repeat -- and this will go on until the population starts paying attention to what's important instead of paying attention to what they're told to pay attention to.

There's a great front-yard sign in Framingham, MA says, "Not my president!" (This lightly mirrors my sentiment of, "Not my country any more." from the early 1980s.) That's actually a sad phenomenon, but indicative of how disenfranchised folks have become.

As someone else mentioned, the keynote point now is income and wealth inequality. If that can be fixed, everybody will once again have a stake in the well-being of the country, not just those at the very top -- and that will, in turn, solve a good many of the other problems listed. Desperation, frustration, and apathy are all corrosive elements, and really why should anyone in the bottom 99.99% of the population care one whit about a system geared to further enrich the elites? I might place that above climate change, at least in the very short term. Fixing the economy would entirely likely help get more traction on the climate matter, which remains urgent.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think Dave"S list is pretty good well 7 out of 8 ain't bad. 8 is a political comment. No political comment except give him a chance
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

"Treat others as you would wish to be treated" is what I go by.

And oldsalt- I didn't discuss the subject, I just mentioned it after someone brought it up. Religion has caused more hate, death, greed than anything else in history (with oil coming a close 2nd)

I will go back to totally ignoring any mention of religion and politics on this forum. I thought these subjects were taboo here anyway. If not, they should be. They just cause grief because of differing views.

Just as an aside; astronomers have found a new galaxy- 4.5 billion light years away. A light year is 5.88 trillion miles. What made heaven and earth in 6 days ?? You do the maths.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gregg1100 wrote:Just as an aside; astronomers have found a new galaxy- 4.5 billion light years away. A light year is 5.88 trillion miles. What made heaven and earth in 6 days ?? You do the maths.
Good stuff. If I'm not mistaken, we're now looking back far enough in time that we're starting to see the edge where first light occurred when the thing cooled off enough where things became transparent to light. Before that, the current reasoning is, it was light-opaque (and possibly microwave-opaque as well).

Where I last worked, one time the brass brought in a cosmologist who was using our tools in his research to talk about it and the talk was utterly riveting -- part of it being about the "far ago frontier" and when it cooled off enough to "let the light shine".
jc.33

Post by jc.33 »

My priorities.

1) Compromise. Government is broken. Stop politicizing every issue for the benefit of some special interest's agenda.

2) Affordable education. I'm not promoting free education for everyone as I realize that education is not for everyone and the world needs workers with a variety of different skills. However, those who do choose to go to school shouldn't be saddled with debt that approaches first time home mortgage levels.

3) Health care reform. I believe that Idea that health care is a privilege and not a basic right is fundamentally wrong. Health care tied to employment is wrong and limits people's freedom try different opportunities. I believe private insurance is a race to the bottom and that all it does is funnel money to the shareholders of those insurance companies.

4) Environmental protection. I believe we should protect the environment, national resources, and work on ways of reducing our environmental impact. National forests/lands should not be opened up for exploitation of natural resources (oil and coal) that benefit only a select few people. It's extremely shortsighted to ruin these places in the name of profits.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Yes Carl-- the figures are mind blowing. I watch a fair bit of Discovery and related progs. Prof Brian Cox is interesting too.

Now going back to sleep. Talk amongst yourselves- I won't look.
:D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would go to even more basic things that are really important to me:

1. my health. No matter how many assets you accumulate in life without health they become difficult to appreciate. As a diabetic I am always on the knife-edge of maintaining a balanced blood glucose level and fending off all the bad things that can happen.
2. my family. As much as MOH is a PITA at times I love her and wouldn't want to be without her for one second. My kids and grandkids are generally good and well-adjusted.
3. financial security. At the moment I have that and I can see the finish line of retirement in the distance. I am not rich but sufficiently comfortable that if a big bill came in I wouldn't have to worry about where the money would come from.
4. physical comfort and safety. I live in a relatively low crime neighbourhood and, the town centre nightclub area on a weekend night aside, I feel comfortable and safe walking out a night and walking around in a skirt without fear of attack.
I suppose Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is applicable here. All the things about nuclear war, the climate etc are things that are beyond my ability to influence so whilst they are worrying I won't lose any sleep over them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:I suppose Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is applicable here. All the things about nuclear war, the climate etc are things that are beyond my ability to influence so whilst they are worrying I won't lose any sleep over them.
Indeed they are, which is one of the reasons I fear societal collapse in the US because that will definitely impose on the needs hierarchy here in ways that can only happen in a police-state. Similarly, the concentration of wealth directly impinges on those needs as well because as personal wealth inexorably drains away maintaining those needs becomes very difficult, or even impossible. Contrary to what the Wizards of Wall Street say, it is a zero-sum game.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

What I think is most important? Climate change.

Why? It is not yet certain exactly what is going to be the result of the rising temperatures, but there is a lot of evidence that it could well be catastrophic for society as it now exists. May not be quite that bad, but I for one, do not wish to take that risk. Some of the other problems are connected to it, but if we do hit a tipping point, the rest of it won't matter a hill of beans. What does the rest matter if there is no food coming in to your town or city? What matters more than the fact you have no water and the temperature is 10 degrees higher than you find tolerable? Or too much water, the dams have broken and you can't get away? Or the rain won't stop, and the hillside is going to come down, and the road is already closed? You think the refugee problem is bad now? Millions are displaced already, can we cope when it gets to 100's of millions?

I. Can't. Stop. It. Not alone, nobody can. All I can do is to try and do my bit, and maybe a bit more, and to be conscious about my actions and the impact they have. Meanwhile, I have to eat, and pay rent, all those good things, but I'm always thinking about what might be coming and if I'm doing the right things with that in mind.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have to agree with Dave's list. He seems to nail the biggies.

I'd really like to see a national health care system.

Aside from that, I'd like to see a populous of love and compassion for one another regardless of what god you bend your knee to (if any at all).
what god?
Why Diana of course! That's what we meant... right?? :wink: Or maybe it's Gaia.... you know the one true God...? *ain't dogma fun!* :roll:

Of course I'm being sarcastic, I'd never try to legislate my beliefs on others... that's a good way for me to loose my job or get a bloody lip... funny some people don't have to worry about such things though... :twisted:

Sorry, I know we didn't want the thread going here, but I can't help it.... mandatory faith really grinds my gears... It's a maximum hot button of mine.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Vote for Dave!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I have read with interest the posts so far in the thread. I have noticed a couple of what I consider very important issue that have been overlooked and for me go at the top of the list. First id the protection of and support of the food supply. Which includes protecting the farmers and farmlands that produce the food we consume. After all without food and a supply of it nothing else that has been listed is even possible. Secondly I would state the same issue about our water supply system which in many cases supplies water to our homes which is more contaminated than the water that is drawn from the local rivers and lakes that it comes from. Lastly a very important issue is the proper sheltering of our fellow man, too many are out on the streets simply because they cannot afford the ridiculously high rates that the landlords want.

While I do appreciate all the thoughts and concerns it is my own opinion that we should first and foremost address the basic requirements that we all have and then look at the overall picture.

I will continue to read what is discussed and I hope that this can continue to be a friendly dialogue and that we can remain civilized in its discourse.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The one, and, frankly, only thing of importance to me is my family. And the politics of the recently elected Congress and President are an obvious NEGATIVE for them, and to me, that is UNFORGIVEABLE. So you Trumpies can expect to be regarded as ENEMIES.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

The question was about prime concerns in relation to the USA.

I'm not from that country but for what it's worth, here are my comments.

1. Climate change. The consequences of getting this wrong are manifestly scary for the world at large. Not dealing with the issue will cost hundreds of billions of dollars (there are some well researched estimates out there - wide variations, but all estimates are of very large sums). It makes complete sense to address this issue as soon as possible, although I appreciate that there will be some pain on the way, for example the coal industry. Where is serious pain for one industry, there will be opportunities for others, for example solar and wind industries.

2. Social inequality. From an external viewpoint, it seems to me that the USA has deep issues in relation to the concentration of wealth in the hands of the few. This cannot be right. Additionally, there seem to be deep rooted race based inequality, although I lack the detailed knowledge to expand on this further.

3. The pressing need for a national healthcare system. This is the hallmark of a civilised nation, and while most of the G8 countries have some form of basic free healthcare, open to all, the USA lacks this. The ACA was a step towards this although I understand that it was flawed. Still, the idea was a good one - but make it free. This again helps with social inequality.

4. Find some middle ground in relation to the ownership of weapons. There has to be some common sense which will allow for the personal ownership of firearms yet for there to be responsibility and accountability in the provision, use and type of these firearms. That's all I'll say on the subject.

5. Remove or reduce the influence of religion on the state. When you can have a non religious president, that's a sign of progress. Religion should play no part in politics, but instead should be a right of all citizens to possess and to follow, whatever that religion may be.

That's from my non-USA perspective. I'm not saying my views are right or wrong; they are just my views. I hope also that I have struck as neutral a tone as possible on what are frequently contentious areas. It may therefore be a good idea not to debate any of these points, but instead just to note them and respond with your own list if you have not already done so.

There's much to love and admire about the USA, yet like all countries, there are issues too. We in the UK have our own big lists too!

Ray
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Ray,

I like your list and your discussion of each issue.

I feel compelled to address the inherent fallacy of your item 4. No group working of any standing or importance that advocates for additional gun controls supports banning private ownership of firearms. None.

The slippery slope theories promoted by the NRA have no basis in fact. It is the mainstay of their propaganda for the sole practical purpose of ensuring lifetime employment for their Executive Director, Wayne LaPierre.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.