Locked thread

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Locked thread

Post by dillon »

I really didnt see a reason for the thread "Thank You President Obama" to be locked. It had been relatively civil, unless the referee could not control his own feelings about the matter. Regardless, a comment on the reason would have been polite and appropriate.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Locked thread

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

I was wondering the same.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I was the one who shut that thread down, simply for the reason that I felt it was unlikely to generate any light that could be shed on the subject. It did, however, show all manner of probability of generating more heat and I felt that wasn't needed. Of note is that I've been not-so-quietly hinting that protracted threads on politics and firearms -- and especially threads combining the two -- are not particularly welcome in an international community.

The sad fact is that some things are intractable -- at least until the entire system and public mentality changes (and I am going to hold my breath waiting for either of those). So, put rather crassly, there's no real point in "discussing" them here because we are simply powerless to do anything about the matter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Thank you Carl; I can certainly follow your reasoned logic.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

The opening post did not help the tone at all. Fair points though, Carl.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Carl, I have to question one of your points and dispute another. You say that discussions of American gun rights is not only uninteresting to our international brothers but downright distressing. Do you know that as a fact or are you surmising? If you have gotten negative feedback is it from many or just a few? And if it is only a few, why can't they simply ignore the threads they don't care for?

You also said there is nothing any of us can do about gun laws in this country. Not true. Twenty years ago I helped organize a group to promote laws that would reduce gun violence and since then Oregon's legislature first closed the gun show loophole and then in the last regular legislative session, the private sales loophole.

So there is plenty the average citizen can do. It takes time, consistency and persistence, like most things, but the average citizen standing up for and working on issues still makes a difference.

So please stop peddling this nihilistic notion that we shouldn't bother talking about political issues because we can't change anything.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dave, I think that Carl has a point in guns being less interesting to non-Americans but I do read the threads just in case I learn something new that would add to my understanding of the American viewpoint. Offensive, no, only the one time where I was verbally abused in a thread and it wasn't the gun talk that I found offensive but the post, as it was utterly uncalled for. Otherwise as I have said elsewhere I am really neutral about the topic. I can see why some would like to shoot for recreational or competitive purposes but some people just take things too far. As far as I am concerned you can continue the dialogue on guns as long as it is informative and doesn't deteriorate into profanity and name-calling.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.