Here we go again - -

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Here we go again - -

Post by crfriend »

I suppose that's better than no pairs of pajama [sic] pants...

Blech.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Kilted_John wrote:Been unusually cool up here in the Seattle area, too...<snip>...Anyway,
Thursday afternoon, I went outside to one of our cars on the driveway.
Apparently got onto a patch of black ice. For the first time in 27 years
or so, wound up on my rear-end. Unplanned banana split. Was wearing
the flared denim knee-length skirt that I own. Kinda glad I did. If I'd
been wearing the other denim skirt I frequently wear, I might've messed
myself up even more than I did. As it stands, I twisted my right knee a bit
and also cut it up on the former snow. So, it's a little sore, but not terribly so.

-J
Glad to know you survived the encounter with the ground.
Never a good thing to mess up your joints. They can take forever to
heal, IF they ever do as sometimes, the healing is never complete.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:Look Darryl we expect the truth in your postings.. There is no way that you went to White Castle and only bought 1 double cheeseburger. :lol:
<sigh> Aye, indeed it was the standard double cheeseburger combo: 2 double cheeseburgers, small fry, small Diet Coke. :tongue: Sounds like you know the menu well.... :)

Sipping on a cup of fresh-ground and brewed Gevalia pounding out some PowerShell code...... :ugeek:
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

crfriend wrote:I suppose that's better than no pairs of pajama [sic] pants...

Blech.
Of course....some of us don't wear pants. :shock:
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Last night did not go below 28C, a very hot and uncomfortable night. The change has just come through, now about 24C and tonight 14C.

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well... it is now in the single digits, and both outside doors are frozen shut. There's a good layer of frost on many of the windows, you could chill a can of beer next to many of them! 8) In my experience, this is about as bad (cold) as it gets in this region. On rare occasions it may dip down to zero or slightly below, but those patterns are so rare, we can actually go several years before we experience it, and even this it's only for a night or two.

I've got a good dribble going in the sink to hopefully keep the water pipes from freezing.

But it's not so bad, in fact, it really makes one feel quite human, to really experience the elements. Why, it wasn't too long ago that it was quite common for folks to live in sync with nature. To have a solitary fireplace burning in a drafty mountain cabin. We'd be roasting if I could burn my kerosene. Still, the furnace doesn't struggle to do it's job. It's only running about 15 minutes per hour and it's set to 65, or course it is being helped by an oil radiator in the living room. I'm sure the back bedroom is in the low 60's, high 50's.

Yes Jenn and I sleep close together! :D

Here's to the water... may it continue to flow tomorrow morning! *clink*

By the way, for those of you who live outside of the U.S.... the temp here converts to negative 12 degrees (-12) C.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

It is 6:30 AM and the temperature outside is now 15 degrees F. The gas furnace is running and the tank level is doing down. Thank goodness they just filled it. I hate the cold, and I hate having a cold when it is cold. :evil: Thanks to the shingles my immune system has been compromised and the first cold bug :alien: that came around landed and took hold. I normally don't have colds and now I am chasing my nose all over the house. :sick:

The warm South my freezing butt!!! :puker: :censored:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

8.2 degrees F (-13.2 C) and somewhere around 10" of white sh!t on the ground outside, seemingly mostly in the driveway. Winter effing wonderland indeed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It didn't break 28F here today, though we dodged the snow and ice that most of the rest of NC got.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Snippets from Europe;

Ten people have died in Poland as bitterly cold weather sweeps across Europe,
bringing the country’s death toll from hypothermia to 65 since November.

Temperatures in Poland have plunged to below -26C (-4F) in some regions and
police have asked people to help those at risk of hypothermia, especially the homeless.

The cold wave across Europe has left at least 33 dead since the weekend, many of
them migrants or homeless people.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Icy temperatures across Europe have left more than 20 people dead and blanketed
even the Greek islands and southern Italy in snow.
Italy saw ferries and flights cancelled and schools in the south are expected to
close on Monday.
Turkey has also been badly affected. The Bosphorus was closed to shipping as a
heavy snowstorm hit Istanbul.
At least 10 people died of cold in Poland. Night temperatures in Russia plunged
to minus 30C.
Normally milder Greece has witnessed temperatures of minus 15C in the north
where an Afghan migrant died of cold last week and roads were closed.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Darryl wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:Look Darryl we expect the truth in your postings.. There is no way that you went to White Castle and only bought 1 double cheeseburger. :lol:
<sigh> Aye, indeed it was the standard double cheeseburger combo: 2 double cheeseburgers, small fry, small Diet Coke. :tongue: Sounds like you know the menu well.... :)
The combo package around here is 3 cheese burgers fries and a drink for $5 . I don't want to date myself but the first burgers I bought there were 11 cents. :lol:
Last edited by crfriend on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the quoting.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Gregg, I don't know if you have seen some of the press coverage, but there have been surreal scenes of snow on the Parthenon in Athens, and in Turkey. It has been a bitterly cold spell. In that sense, we in the UK are lucky with our maritime climate which moderates the temperatures. The coldest temperature I have experienced was -17C, and that was in 1984....
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:The combo package around here is 3 cheese burgers fries and a drink for $5 . I don't want to date myself but the first burgers I bought there were 11 cents. :lol:
8) I spent 6 years walking out the front door, up the street, across Eastern Parkway and then striding past, and many a time stopping briefly at, the White Castle on the corner on my way to Church and Parochial School. And then, of course, many a time I had to go back along the same route even if there was a shorter way by going to the western corner across Norris and then up a couple houses to my home.

I recall seeing 10-cent prices. My mom had some photos of that same White Castle on the corner with 5-cent prices.

And of course, back then I was wearing a cassock and surplice - UNBIFURCATED! (Though with my street clothes worn under. :lol: )
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just curious Eastern Parkway where
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just curious Eastern Parkway where
Louisville KY

https://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx? ... )+454-0330

This map shows the short route from the school to where I grew up. Going up to Bardstown Road, crossing Eastern Parkway had the White Castle, and IIRC Murphy's Camera and a Musician's Local and finally St. James Catholic church all to the left.

My mom's parents bought that house in the 20s and lived there, then my mom and I lived there, then I moved to a littler place finally, for various reasons. 48 years. Now...if I can make it to 48 years at this address..... 8)