USA Addresses

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

USA Addresses

Post by trainspotter48 »

I know that this is right off topic, but can any of the members on the other side of the 'pond' provide a list of the states and the abbreviations (to my eyes, MI would be Mississippi, but I believe it's actually Michigan). Also, does this extend to Canada as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: USA Addresses

Post by crfriend »

trainspotter48 wrote:[... C]an any of the members on the other side of the 'pond' provide a list of the states and the abbreviations [...]
Here you are: http://www.stateabbreviations.us/

That link has both graphical and tabular representations.

A similar one for Canada is here: http://www.comeexplorecanada.com/abbreviations.php
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

AL = Alabama
AK = Alaska
AR = Arkansas
CA = California
CO = Colorado
CT = Connecticuit
DE = Delaware
FL = Florida
GA = Georgia
HI = Hawaii
IA = Iowa
ID = Idaho
IL = Illinois
IN = Indiana
KS = Kansas
KY = Kentucky
LA = Louisiana
MA = Massachusetts
MD = Maryland
ME = Maine
MI = Michigan
MN = Minnesota
MO = Missouri
MS = Mississippi
MT = Montana
NC = North Carolina
ND = North Dakota
NE = Nebraska
NH = New Hampshire
NJ = New Jersey
NM = New Mexico
NV = Nevada
NY = New York
OH = Ohio
OK = Oklahoma
OR = Oregon
PA = Pennsylvania
RI = Rhode Island
SC = South Carolina
SD = South Dakota
TN = Tennessee
TX = Texas
UT = Utah
VA = Virginia
VT = Vermont
WA = Washington
WI = Wisconsin
WV = West Virginia
WY = Wyoming

For Canada:

AB = Alberta
BC = British Columbia
MB = Manitoba
NB = New Brunswick
NL = Newfoundland Labrador
NS = Nova Scotia
NT = Northwest Territories
NU = Nunavut
ON = Ontario
PE = Prince Edward Island
QC = Quebec (I think for a while it may've been PQ)
YT = Yukon Territories
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Trainspotter, the US Postal Service established those 2-letter state abbreviations several decades ago to facilitate automating mail sorting.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Thanks to all of you. I can now get a better picture of where you are in the States/Canada.

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

John et al, knowing the states is one thing but placing the state within the continent is another. Realistically, you live in the north of England but if you were shown a map of England, Scotland and Wales without the counties being named could you place the names to the counties with certainty? I surely couldn't. Doing that with America is just as problematic. It's probably some of the smaller eastern states that I would be uncertain of. Can many of you Americans do so with your own continent?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Map of GB to a Londoner has the M1 stretching North towards two vague rabbit ears, one called 'Scotland', the other called 'Yorkshire', but the permafrost starts at Watford and Civilisation as they know it fails totally when a line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash is crossed going North.

Also on their map is the M4 going West, with two vague terminal appendages, one called 'Cornwall', the other called 'Wales'.

Way over to the left, unconnected is a potato-shaped blob with a question mark on it.....probably Ireland. I'm just filling in some missing information. :cheese:

Were they confronted with all your American MIs, CAs &c. they'd just dismiss it as Morse code.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Were they confronted with all your American MIs, CAs &c. they'd just dismiss it as Morse code.
Well, us Yanks aren't much better. What would anyone make of this smattering of modern postcodes when confronted with them:

SW1P 1RL
V23 WD27
01583-1402
A0K 4S0

Bonus points if anybody can correctly ID where those three are from. They look like line-noise to me.

The USA is, of course, just as bad. First it was the two-alpha state-code, then the ZIP code (Zoning Improvement Plan), and finally ZIP+four which is what's used now.

Of course they'd be all obsolete now since nobody writes letters any more, but along came another use -- shipping-endpoints for on-line merchandise orders... At least when I type my address into a computer the goods usually show up in a week or two.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:Were they confronted with all your American MIs, CAs &c. they'd just dismiss it as Morse code.
Well, us Yanks aren't much better. What would anyone make of this smattering of modern postcodes when confronted with them:

SW1P 1RL
V23 WD27
01583-1402
A0K 4S0

Bonus points if anybody can correctly ID where those three are from. They look like line-noise to me.

The USA is, of course, just as bad. First it was the two-alpha state-code, then the ZIP code (Zoning Improvement Plan), and finally ZIP+four which is what's used now.

Of course they'd be all obsolete now since nobody writes letters any more, but along came another use -- shipping-endpoints for on-line merchandise orders... At least when I type my address into a computer the goods usually show up in a week or two.
Now I know what ZIP means! :D

The codes are:
SW1P 1RL - United Kingdom
V23 WD27 - Eire (Republic of Ireland)???
01583-1402 - USA
A0K 4S0 - Canada
if I'm not mistaken.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Very good indeed, DC.

Even around here, very few folks know that "ZIP", when it comes to the Postal Service (sometimes sarcastically referred to as the "Post-hole Service") is actually an acronym.

The choices used weren't entirely random, either.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
The codes are:
01583-1402 - USA
A0K 4S0 - Canada
if I'm not mistaken.
Confirm the first one is in Westminster London, last one is fairly large chunk of Newfoundland, (I assume it's such a big chunk because there isn't much in the way of actual houses there) didn't find anything for the others.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

partlyscot wrote:
Disaffected.citizen wrote:
The codes are:
01583-1402 - USA
A0K 4S0 - Canada
if I'm not mistaken.
Confirm the first one is in Westminster London, last one is fairly large chunk of Newfoundland, (I assume it's such a big chunk because there isn't much in the way of actual houses there) didn't find anything for the others.
I'm not absolutely certain which were random and which were not, or why those that are not random hold significance for the original writer; but I think I could undertake sufficient research within a few minutes to make a reasonably accurate educated guess :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

US, German, Swiss and French postcodes are just a number pertaining to that town or village, the names, house numbers & streets still playing a role.
British postcodes are specific to a small group of houses or buildings and are a faultless guide to navigation systems and delivery firms.

Recently introduced 'eircodes' here in Ireland refer to every single property in the State, for instance, where I live we have a 'studio' dwelling a couple of hundred yards SW of our house and this has been given a separate seven character code, the first three characters being the same. No nav. system has yet adopted these codes, the postal system still doesn't use them and the cops tell me that people may opt out and not have one at all

This could only happen in Ireland ! :cyclops:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !