Mezcal Old-fashioned

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Mezcal Old-fashioned

Post by dillon »

As a yellow-dog Democrat, I have an excuse for drinking heavily for the next four years, assuming Trump doesn't get frustrated and quit...or get impeached...or die in office...any of which are about as likely as him completing his term, IMO. :lol: I tried this using some Hornitos Mezcal smuggled back from Texas...it's a good Mezcal, although I had only that one variety for the cocktail, and none of the other exact ingredients save the bitters. So I substituted Honey-ginger syrup instead of agave syrup...its quite good, though I still like Mezcal in shots...

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails ... -fashioned
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Mezcal Old-fashioned

Post by crfriend »

Sorry to hear of your travails, Dillon, but it's always nice that one never needs an excuse to enjoy a good drink.

In a bizarre twist, if the BBC are to be believed, U.S. liberals -- yes those pink free-thinking radicals -- are beginning to arm themselves fearing economic collapse and general incivility that requires an equal and opposite reaction.

Canada is looking better by the millisecond.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:Sorry to hear of your travails, Dillon, but it's always nice that one never needs an excuse to enjoy a good drink.

In a bizarre twist, if the BBC are to be believed, U.S. liberals -- yes those pink free-thinking radicals -- are beginning to arm themselves fearing economic collapse and general incivility that requires an equal and opposite reaction.

Canada is looking better by the millisecond.
Sorry to disillusion you Carl, but I was already armed...but I am a southerner, after all. From where I sit I can look at three rifles and two shotguns...and the third shotgun is beside my bed, upstairs... I don't need a handgun because my weapons are for sporting and defense of my home and family. Handguns are for defense of one's ego.

Still, I support gun registration and capacity limits, and many other "liberal" issues which I consider fundamental human rights: voting rights, civil rights, sexual rights, reproductive rights (with some caveats), and social welfare. I believe most of these issues are actually conservative...for true constitutional and intellectual conservatives, at least, though perhaps not recognized by theocratic ("social") conservatives.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:Sorry to disillusion you Carl, but I was already armed...but I am a southerner, after all.
I figured as much, and I say that with precisely no disrespect whatsoever. But the shift is "interesting" nonetheless.

My main worry here is that what little is left of the societal fabric is going to break down and it'll be down to the police (which already amounts in many places to an army of occupation) to keep the lid on -- entirely likely with rather intense brutality and indiscriminate killing. Recalling that our new Leader ran partly on a "Law 'n' Order" platform intensifies that worry.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

My main worry here is that what little is left of the societal fabric is going to break down and it'll be down to the police (which already amounts in many places to an army of occupation) to keep the lid on -- entirely likely with rather intense brutality and indiscriminate killing. Recalling that our new Leader ran partly on a "Law 'n' Order" platform intensifies that worry.

There is so little left of the societal fabric because it has been torn apart over the last eight years. and Its funny everybody complains about "Law n Order" until they don't have it. and of course the police are a brutal army of occupation unless you need them.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:There is so little left of the societal fabric because it has been torn apart over the last eight years. and Its funny everybody complains about "Law n Order" until they don't have it. and of course the police are a brutal army of occupation unless you need them.
On the first, civil society has been on a decline for 30+ years and the rate of decline has been increasing for the past 20. It's not just the past eight.

On the second, matters are even worse when you need the police; at that point, the odds of getting shot dead rise even higher. I needed help from the police last July and wound up getting kidnapped. When the chips are down, they are never there to help.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Oldsalt1, I'm calling you out. Tell us what, exactly, what Pres. Obama has done to increase the level of incivility in the US or take back your implicit claim that he's added to the incivility!

Then you better tell us how the things that Donald Trump has Tweeted or been recorded as saying has added to civility. If you can't, then you'd better admit what is blindingly obvious that the blustering bully who got elected thanks to the quirks of the Electoral College, the disinformation of the Russian government and the missteps, if not deliberate connivance, of the Director of the FBI is accelerating the incivility if not outright hostility amongst the identity groupings in this country.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

[Mod hat on]

Gentlemen, this is starting to get out of hand. Either stick to the ideas and the subject matter or this thread is going to become bits on the floor.

[Mod hat off]

I know that these are all touchy issues, and they are issues that can get our dander up. But they're issues that precisely none of us can do anything about beyond trying to set a good example for behaviour. Whether we like it or not, Donald Trump is the president-elect. If we don't like it, we'll have to wait four years and then vote him out of office. We also need to put our fears out of public sight, valid as they may be. Dogs can smell fear, and that empowers them; don't give the dogs the advantage.

On the topic of civility, as much as I think that the Obama years were a continuation of the Cheney/Bush regime, one must give credit to the man's style. He was eloquent and cerebral -- which are precisely the sorts of things that help set a civil tone; even if it was "just rhetoric", it was soothing compared to what we had in the early 2000s, and it'll be remembered as soothing when compared to what we're going to hear (or read on Twitter) for the next four. It's entirely probable that Obama's style may have been the swan song for civility in this land -- and I think that highly unfortunate.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

oldsalt1 wrote:

There is so little left of the societal fabric because it has been torn apart over the last eight years. and Its funny everybody complains about "Law n Order" until they don't have it. and of course the police are a brutal army of occupation unless you need them.
Only the Trumpies are complaining about law and order, as far as I know. Which is odd, since crime has decreased steadily for the last couple decades. But not surprising, since they seem to pick and choose what to accept as fact, even when it is fiction. I guess they are still running on 64 kb memory...

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/42 ... -c-w-cooke
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

As this goes forward, it's apparent to me that I'm gonna need more Mezcal...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:I guess they are still running on 64 kb memory...
Careful there, sir. Those is fightin' words in the computer-history realm. I've got single-user systems with 24 kb of mainstore and complete multi-user systems capable of supporting ten users at a time in 96 kb. We flew to the moon and back with less than 64 kb on-board (not counting the humans in the ship).

Comparing knee-jerk reactionaries to historical computers only insults the latter; the former being too dim to understand it. Ditto comparing lawmaking to sausage-making; that's simply libel on the latter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If crime is down so far I guess that brutal blue army you keep complaining about has been doing its job. and its hard to run at even 64 k when you have to spend so much time dealing with all the mis punched cards
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

How did a thread on Mezcal turn into another example of left and right talking past each other? Two other alternative dressing sites I follow (one where I am a moderator) don't suffer from this. Frankly, I may just stop reading here. :cry:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I suppose when one expresses an opinion, one should expect a rebuttal. If you get smoked by the facts, don't whine.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
dillon wrote:I guess they are still running on 64 kb memory...
Careful there, sir. Those is fightin' words in the computer-history realm. I've got single-user systems with 24 kb of mainstore and complete multi-user systems capable of supporting ten users at a time in 96 kb. We flew to the moon and back with less than 64 kb on-board (not counting the humans in the ship).

Comparing knee-jerk reactionaries to historical computers only insults the latter; the former being too dim to understand it. Ditto comparing lawmaking to sausage-making; that's simply libel on the latter.
Forgive me. I learned Fortran in high school on punch cards and wondered how it would ever amount to anything but a novelty. But when i next took up the PC, post college, it was at 256 k.