What's a smart wrapper?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What's a smart wrapper?

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

In truth,speed doesn't kill or injure; rapid change in speed, such as coming to an abrupt halt, does!

Completely agree that there's a certain feeling of solidity when travelling in a larger vehicle; however, I have seen the strength of some small cars.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

crfriend wrote: That said, I'm vastly more worried about the distracted soccer-mom in her hulking SUV than I am about a professional over-the-road driver. A 6,000 pound testosterone-truck is more than capable of demolishing much in its path whilst the soccer-mom supposedly piloting loses track of the text she was trying to send to little Ignatz that she'll be a few moments late because of the fact that somebody else did something stupid up ahead (which likely involved a cell' 'phone).

It's not the relative masses involved, it's the relative competence of the drivers involved.
There are accidents involving "professional" truck and bus drivers that result in fatalities, and I have seen firsthand how unruly truck and bus drivers can get. And regarding texting on mobile phones while driving, there is a reason why it is discouraged and banned in some jurisdictions.
らき☆
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
dillon wrote:The legal weight of an 18 wheeler (US highway truck) is 80,000 lbs. Running over a Smart Car is about like running over a beer can.
That's the stated maximum legal weight, which, as anybody that has spent any time on major motorways in the USA knows is a convenient fiction.

That said, I'm vastly more worried about the distracted soccer-mom in her hulking SUV than I am about a professional over-the-road driver. A 6,000 pound testosterone-truck is more than capable of demolishing much in its path whilst the soccer-mom supposedly piloting loses track of the text she was trying to send to little Ignatz that she'll be a few moments late because of the fact that somebody else did something stupid up ahead (which likely involved a cell' 'phone).

It's not the relative masses involved, it's the relative competence of the drivers involved.

The demo of the Smart Car was quite interesting in just how solid the passenger compartment is -- very impressive. Another one that's said to be in the same class is the "new" Volkswagen 'Beetle' -- and, like the Smart Car is mainly down to its shape.
Well, legal weight is legal weight...what trucks actually weigh is the failure of enforcement.

For a 6 axle truck at 96000 lbs and a 5 axle truck at 80000 lbs, what's the difference in terms of highway damage? But here in the US, trucks run just as fast as cars.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...