An odd, yet cxompelling, paring

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

An odd, yet cxompelling, paring

Post by crfriend »

As those who have read me over the years know, I am powerfully musical, and resonant with the "Old World" just to the West of mainland Europe -- and along came today a musical treat that brought me to tears with its beauty: The Winter's End by Liam O'Flynn which features a most unlikely pairing of instruments -- Uillean pipes and the oboe, both of which are long-time favourites. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I'm not sure if it's lingering cookies or what, but the top vid in the right-hand frame was An Droichead (the Bridge) featuring Liam O'Flynn on pipes and Mark Knopfler on guitar. Wow.

I think it's going to be an interesting night of music as I dive down this rabbit-hole.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: An odd, yet cxompelling, paring

Post by wsherman »

crfriend wrote:As those who have read me over the years know, I am powerfully musical, and resonant with the "Old World" just to the West of mainland Europe -- and along came today a musical treat that brought me to tears with its beauty: The Winter's End by Liam O'Flynn which features a most unlikely pairing of instruments -- Uillean pipes and the oboe, both of which are long-time favourites. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I'm not sure if it's lingering cookies or what, but the top vid in the right-hand frame was An Droichead (the Bridge) featuring Liam O'Flynn on pipes and Mark Knopfler on guitar. Wow.

I think it's going to be an interesting night of music as I dive down this rabbit-hole.

Carl! Thank you for that bind!
I'll be driving down that same rabbit hole tonight!
I love the pipes and practically any form they take.
May I recommend Bonnie Rideout album Scotland's Fiddle Piobroach" it is a wonderful tour deforce and A Supurb listen! It is in a two volume set.

Take care!
Bill
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

wsherman wrote:I love the pipes and practically any form they take.
As do I.

Another piece I heard for the first time this evening after diving head-first into the rabbit-hole was "A Piper to the End" by Knopfler, the key phrase being, "If there are no pipes in heaven // then it's down below I'll go."

I learnt to play the oboe in secondary school, building on my clarinet skills, and still adore the instrument. I wouldn't know what to do with a set of pipes -- either Scottish or Irish -- if a set were handed to me. But another pairing I'd love to hear is Irish pipes and hammered dulcimer.

How in the world does one pitch-bend a set of pipes? (!!)
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

crfriend wrote:
wsherman wrote:I love the pipes and practically any form they take.
As do I.

Another piece I heard for the first time this evening after diving head-first into the rabbit-hole was "A Piper to the End" by Knopfler, the key phrase being, "If there are no pipes in heaven // then it's down below I'll go."

I learnt to play the oboe in secondary school, building on my clarinet skills, and still adore the instrument. I wouldn't know what to do with a set of pipes -- either Scottish or Irish -- if a set were handed to me. But another pairing I'd love to hear is Irish pipes and hammered dulcimer.

How in the world does one pitch-bend a set of pipes? (!!)

Carl, you might look into the practice chanter that is the first step in learning the pipes. It has a bit of fun hobo wish sound to it and with your background I'm sure you'll find it easy to pick up. It's played not with the tips of the fingers but rather with the pad nearest to the hand if you pick up a practice chanter and book you we'll see how the thing green is done. By the way if you're wearing rings you might need to lose them while playing the chanter.
I'm a want to be piper but not getting very far down that road. . I can however do and halfway decent job with the 10 whistle. LOL!
But don't ask my cat about that!

There is a piece "Bonnie Portmore" that is done by the rogues on their album "made in Texas" that pairs the pipes with a French horn absolutely beautiful .
AnyWho sir I'll let you go for now I hope this hasn't been too hard to follow you never know how series going to corrupt thangs!

Slainte'
Bill
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Pipes paired with anything are better than pipes alone. Except maybe fingernails on a chalkboard. :lol: ~Shudders, certain that the soundtrack of hell is bagpipes and gypsy violin. Or maybe Ted Nugent.~
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Bagpipes are either a love or hate type of instrument. For me it is pure love of the sound of a single piper on a hill side serenading the the sunrise or the combined sound of 100 pipers playing Amazing Grace at a tattoo. I have loved the pipes ever since I was a small lad. I marched with a pipe and drum corp as a color guard when in middle school. I tried to learn to play them but I can't carry a tune in a Mack Truck!! :wall: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

CRFriend, thanks for posting those links. I liked it immensely.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Somehow, I suspect that if I ever took up the instrument the only thing I'd be able to do would be Serenade for Bagpipes and Basset Hound. However, that might be fun until it got me kicked out of the neighbourhood.