Trumps media

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trumps media

Post by Ray »

Ian, I think we have to disagree. I get offended and wound up if someone continually and deliberately refers to the UK as England. That infers that I am English. My country had to go, cap in hand to England in 1707, after fighting for centuries to maintain independence from the expansionist and aggressive English neighbours. To have my country's identity subsumed into a larger neighbours is something you simply cannot understand. Being called English is absolutely unacceptable to me for that reason. It's just wrong. Maps, governments, passports all correctly refer to the country. Is it too much to ask people to get it right?

As I said, a mistake made in innocence is okay. Continual misuse is not on. As I say, just try it in Glasgow and see if I am being over-sensitive. Hopefully my contextual comments give some insight to my feelings on the matter.

Cheers

Ray

Ps Beachlion - the use of Holland might be promoted but it's wrong. Ask someone in Eindhoven. Holland represents 2 of the (I believe) 13 provinces of the Netherlands. It's not THE Netherlands.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Indeed I was forgotten his name. And in the Netherlands we have Wilders. He is anti Islam, stronger justice and all what people want to hear. And he has changed one law. We can drive 130 km an hour instead of 120. Yes we are happy. We can drive faster. That is what we are waiting for.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Ray wrote:..... Ps Beachlion - the use of Holland might be promoted but it's wrong. Ask someone in Eindhoven. Holland represents 2 of the (I believe) 13 provinces of the Netherlands. It's not THE Netherlands.
What is right or wrong is not important as long as it is making money. Born in the Hague (where the government is seated) 72 year ago I know some of the history of the Netherlands. All over the world, the name Holland is more recognized than the Netherlands. The Netherlands are also producing high quality goods and services like dredging, electronics (Philips), food (Unilever), ships and so on. And we are proud of it. "Made in Holland" means something.
https://www.google.com/search?q=made+in ... 20&bih=950

BTW, somebody from Eindhoven would call anybody living north of the big rivers a Hollander.

Have a nice day.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Ray wrote:Ian, I think we have to disagree.
Not at all. Like you, I get irritated by folks not bothering to get the name of a country right when they are definitely referring to the country. However, in the post to which you reacted the reference may have been to the country, the region, a county or even a city. It really did not matter and in circumstances like that, there is no value in giving oneself ulcers over a name.

Have fun (it is at least part of why we are here and is far less work than being grumpy :D ),

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ray, I have to disagree with you once again. I live in England, part of the UK and I am not Ukish but English as opposed to Scottish etc and proud of it. Come to that I live in Yorkshire, not any of the North, South Westminster-created boundaries. That you are irritated is your affair but not everyone shares your feelings.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Your passport says British. There is no sovereign state called England. Call yourself what you want. My beef is with those who refer to the UK as England. That's wrong, can be offensive and needs to be called out and stopped. You may not take offence at that but you're English. You are unaffected by the slur.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

...An' de top o' de mornin' to yiz both! I'm Irish and I live in Ireland. When I lived for almost a quarter of a Century in England I was still Irish.

Having been born before 1947, when the Irish Free State became a republic I am still entitled to a British Passport if I so wish, but I've never bothered.

That is why prominent Irishmen like Tony O'Reilly and Terry Wogan could accept knighthoods from Her Majesty, because they both were born before 1947 and could claim British citizenship. It never in any way altered their irishness, though.

So dere yiz are, now.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Where's a "like" button when you need one? :-)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote:Where's a "like" button when you need one? :-)
This is not Farcebook, but I'll second the notion of greatly enjoying Mr. Kirbstone's missive above.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

You might have a knighthood awaiting, Tom, if for no other reason than being an Irishman daring to don the orange... :shock:... :lol:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Then be offended Ray. On yhis subject I really couldn't give a toss, to quote a phrase. English, British, Ukish. What's in a name.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

What's in a name? Hmm. Quite a lot.

Call someone with dark skin a negro, and then ask him/her what's in a name.

When someone shouts "tranny!" or similar at you, I'm sure you'll be wondering what's in a name.

I don't think I have any more to say on this topic. It has, for me, run its course. You are of course free to continue your dialogue.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I look at this issue through the dual lenses of accuracy (can't use "correctness" any longer) and courtesy. Courtesy, recall, costs one precisely nothing and can bring rewards. Accuracy does take some effort, though, and that's the time it takes to learn the proper terms for things and to remember to use them.

Use of local terms -- by locals -- is always entirely appropriate and gives a conversant an immediate and reasonably precise idea where somebody is from. If one of the individuals engaged doesn't recognise the region, he's free to ask. However, it doesn't necessarily work the other way 'round and more sensitive folks can get offended (and recall that a gentleman is never offensive unintentionally) so it's simply polite to use the proper term for a country.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

No Carl, a gentleman is never intentionally offensive and takes pains to never be unintentionally offensive. In this world one can do absolutely everything right by generally accepted standards and still manage to offend someone.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:In this world one can do absolutely everything right by generally accepted standards and still manage to offend someone.
In a world seemingly filled with the very-easily offended or those with a chip on their shoulder, the above is largely correct. Part of the point is to not be one of the very-easily offended yourself. The old adage used to describe a "well-behaved" computer on the Internet, "Be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you send." (both old school meanings, just to be perfectly clear) might be a good metaphor.