Trumps media

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trumps media

Post by Darryl »

Perhaps the ideal for the media should be: if the story pisses off EVERYBODY equally, then it's likely a pretty fair, accurate and objective story that is treating all parties involved equally.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Darryl wrote:Perhaps the ideal for the media should be: if the story pisses off EVERYBODY equally, then it's likely a pretty fair, accurate and objective story that is treating all parties involved equally.
Actually, that might not be an entirely bad idea, because at the moment virtually everybody in the US has just, good, and even righteous reason to be entirely p!ssed off. The rest of the planet needs only to be afraid.

The US went though this in 1980, and the rest of the world had plenty of reason to be afraid. In 1981, the operative question was whether war was going to be declared on the planet or on the USA. History proved it to be the latter; my suspicion is that the upcoming situation will be the 1980s all over again -- with the same disastrous results, from which there will likely be no recovery. At least for the common citizen.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Carl,

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. In particular, thank you for saying what you've been promoting is an hypothesis. However, you have been stating it and treating it as fact, not as a starting hypothesis that needs development and specific proof.

Now let me clarify. I did not say that every law currently on the books is in the best interests of the public. Anything but. I have agreed with you quite clearly that the repeal of Glass-Steagall was a huge mistake. I also share your concern that too much of the power of the Dodd-Frank Act is being lost in the rules writing process, but it is far from effectively repealed.

You doubt that the ordinary person has no power. Really? Look at how Net Neutrality became the guiding principle. The folks who follow the FCC said sending those emailed missives in support of net neutrality was a quixotic waste of time. And then the FCC adopted it and the Chairman said that was the deciding factor despite industry opposition.

Similarly Trump's election, a sufficient number of truly disaffected working class folks voted for that bozo that he got elected. And by the way, a friend of mine now puts her faith in CNBC rather than CNN because CNBC was NOT blind-sided by the election results.

You say the mainstream media isn't doing it's job because it's not reporting on everything. That doesn't prove much more than the fact that the New York Times slogan, "All the news that's fit to print," is not a practical proposition. That the slogan of my high school's paper is closer to the realities of journalism, "All the news that fits."
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.