What do you do?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

What do you do?

I.T.
21%
Finance & Legal
15%
Healthcare
5%
Engineering & Construction
10%
Education or Science
3%
Sales & Marketing
3%
Services
5%
Arts, Music & Drama
8%
Other
8%
Retired
23%

Total votes: 39

melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do you do?

Post by melsav »

I am a motor mechanic by trade, but for the last 25 years worked in the panel beating industry (auto body shop in the states) as an estimator. Not sure what category to mark in the survey :)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Self-employed computer tech. I've also sometimes done event photography, but not often enough.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Tax!!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Electronics engineer with a qualification in electrical engineering; started in military radio design then went into biological instrumentation. Obtained a degree in biology then went into chemical engineering for a short while. Designed an analogue computer for de-clicking old records, so became a sub-contractor for sound archives. Moved into the CD business and started a small recording company, then became an audio equipment designer, consultant and general problem solver for the recording and transcription business. Along the way learned Algol, Basic, machine code and taught myself web design and PHP. Although officially retired I still run several websites, continue to do transcription, recording, equipment design and occasional broadcasting. Recently I have been talked into repairing industrial machinery and running canal restoration work parties.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Background in electronics (hated it!) Moved into Quality Assurance and applications work in companies starting with test gear (for aviation, nuclear and military) then moved to vending machines, telecomms test equipment, security print (manufacture of government secure documents,(passports, ID, voter registration systems, driver licences etc) and currency printing. Now working for a company that sells "high intensity sunshine"*.

Nice thing about quality is it allows me to move around industries with ease.

Have fun,

Ian.

* High intensity sunshine? UV light systems for highly accellerated curing. Intensities can be up to 10,000,000 times that of sunshine. Trust me; that stuff REALLY burns!
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Hard to fit in one box, the story of my life I guess. I checked music as it is a big part of what I do that I consider living. Income is a different facet. You need a box for skilled crafts. I do industrial electrical/mechanical repairs and maintenance. Not exactly service, which I equate with hotel and restaurant.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey Fred, Homer Simpson is a Nuclear Engineer, any similarity? I started with 10 years in Structural Engineering with steel framed buildings and metal cladding then 3 years at University then spent 20 years in IT - Analyst/Programmer, mainframe support, network support and finally gave that up as too much with being on call all the time. The stress gave me diabetes and the diabetes ruined my hearing so my health was more important than the high salary. Worked in administration at various places and am currently employed in retail and enjoying it although not the comparatively low pay. But little stress and I can virtually walk to work. Nearing retirement if it ever happens.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:Hey Fred, Homer Simpson is a Nuclear Engineer, any similarity?

As a matter of fact...... No, I was a lot more responsible for what happed in the reactor and not like Homer who sleeps at the switch. I must admit the job was extremely tense at times and at other times so boring that it was hard to remain awake. But I pretty much enjoyed it and eventually ended up training new operators to run the reactor.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I worked in Accounting for a variety of companies and industries for 40+ years. Retired last Monday after spending three weeks of accumulated vacation.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Okay, I'm not just a tax consultant. I also co-own and run a wine retail company. Both are fun to do!