A moment in history

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

A moment in history

Post by crfriend »

My good friend and sailing buddy sent me an interesting link to a newspaper article describing a rather tragic and fatal trolley accident from election day in November, 1916. I enjoyed the read, and I thought others might, too. The world is about more than the petty BS of what passes as modern politics.

I know the location where the incident happened almost a century ago, having walked and motored across it innumerable times spanning almost two decades.

I responded and thanked him with this observation:
Wow. Thanks for that; it was a good read and a nice diversion from domestic chores.

It's got a few factual errors in it, but that's to be expected; for instance, the original bridge no longer spans the Fort Point Channel, but instead a some-time replica that retains some of the characteristics of the original which are only cosmetic and the span cannot open the way it once did. You and I recall the replacement being built during our time at SWEC [Stone & Webster Engineering Company].

The entire locale is only vaguely recognisable today from what it was like just a couple of decades ago. Gone now is one of the most amazing displays of various moveable-span bridges ever assembled over such a short waterway, as are the street-car tracks, although every once in a while enough tarmac would spall off the tracks on the old bridge to be seen by motorists and pedestrians.

We call it progress.
It's amazing how the world changes around us, especially when we're not watching, but sometimes even if we are. Sometimes the changes are welcome -- I get to wear skirts, for instance -- and sometimes they're not. Sometimes it's a mixed bag. However, for the most part, we're pretty powerless to stop it, so we have to learn to roll with the punches and surf the good waves.

The interesting thing above is that the "new" bridge was an attempt to keep the flavour of the original. Few folks would have thought of that, and a simple deck-girder bridge constructed in place on the old one. But this was an interesting part of the world at the time, and happily someone did. In the span of a few football pitches, once could see almost every type of moveable bridge known to man save for a vertical-lift. The inventory was a center-swing bridge, one highway bascule bridge, a linear "slide" bridge (the one in the article above, and three massive rolling bascule bridges that carried three railway tracks apiece into South Station Terminal. Positioned properly along the channel, one could observe, compare, and contrast all the different designs visually by just turning his head.

The railway bridges are gone now, being replaced by concrete box trestles; the swing bridge is still there, but permanently opened as the mechanical bits haven't worked in 20 years; a new prestressed concrete-box bridge has been thrown across it in another location which by definition cannot move, and the highway bascule bridge is slowly corroding away to dust.

"Progress".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A moment in history

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:My good friend and sailing buddy sent me an interesting link to a newspaper article describing a rather tragic and fatal trolley accident
What a coincidence - look at what I was riding in yesterday...
CBAT01_5225s.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Oh, my. A double-decker tram. How wonderful.

I've never seen one here, nor am I ever likely to, as most of ours tend to spend a certain amount of time in tunnels where headroom is viciously expensive.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm noticing that a lot of local towns and cities around here are starting to purchase what I call "imitation trolley's" to their public transit fleet.

They are actually street vehicles (small buses), that do not run on rails, but rather have four wheels, a driver, steering wheel, brake and acceleration, they are still built to resemble the classic "trolley car" that used to be quite common in many cities decades ago.

Pulaski Virginia obtained one a few years ago, and I see Abingdon VA has a few as well. They are very attractive vehicles and fun to ride. The fact that they are not tethered to a rail, while making it not quite authentic, also means you can enjoy taking the "trolley" virtually anywhere a motor car can go.

In fact... I do believe I've photographed Pulaski VA's during this years Pulaski Fest... lets see...

ahhh. here it is....

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:Oh, my. A double-decker tram. How wonderful.

I've never seen one here, nor am I ever likely to, as most of ours tend to spend a certain amount of time in tunnels where headroom is viciously expensive.
We have the opposite problem: crowded roads and very little unused land space. Double-deckers take up less road space per passenger, they need shorter loading places (in highly congested city centres) and less acreage for storage and repair (which needs to be near the centre of the network to avoid long 'dead' mileage at the beginning and end of each working day). You would therefore think that all new UK tramways would use double-deckers - not a bit of it, they have all ordered long articulated single-decker continental sets. Most of the hard-won knowledge of the earlier tramways has been lost, not because it wasn't written down but because the latest generation of UK tramway designers can't be bothered to track it down and read it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:Most of the hard-won knowledge of the earlier tramways has been lost, not because it wasn't written down but because the latest generation of UK tramway designers can't be bothered to track it down and read it.
It'll likely re-emerge in another generation as "new" ideas try to solve the problems fostered by "old" ideas.

Sad to say it, but history really holds little sway in the field of technology. And we are poorer for it.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

pelmut wrote: We have the opposite problem: crowded roads and very little unused land space. Double-deckers take up less road space per passenger, they need shorter loading places (in highly congested city centres) and less acreage for storage and repair (which needs to be near the centre of the network to avoid long 'dead' mileage at the beginning and end of each working day). You would therefore think that all new UK tramways would use double-deckers - not a bit of it, they have all ordered long articulated single-decker continental sets. Most of the hard-won knowledge of the earlier tramways has been lost, not because it wasn't written down but because the latest generation of UK tramway designers can't be bothered to track it down and read it.
I think the reason why they use single-deck trams is that long single-decker trams will allow passengers to get on and off much easier than on a double decker tram. A good idea to further increase capacity is to make the trams run on a viaduct segregated from other traffic. For example, the LRT-1 in Manila is one of the highest capacity light rail systems in the world and runs its trams on a viaduct for the entire route.
Manila used to have a tram system on its streets before World War II but trams only returned in the 1980's when LRT-1 opened, initially running Belgian-made trams, later supplamented by Korean and Japanese light rail vehicles. MRT-3, which is also fully segregated from road traffic, uses Czech-made trams.
らき☆
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

NEW Dallas Street Car ~ ~ Click on the picture for the full story.
Cost to ride the Street Car = FREE
More Dallas Street Car photos can be found HERE
The rest of DART(Dallas Area Rapid Transit) will cost depending on where you're going.

MATA is the historical, non-profit, trolley in Dallas.
Opening Day ~ ~ Click on the picture for the full story.
McKinney Avenue Transit Authority offers free training on operating and restoring Trolleys(street cars).
More M-Line photos can be found HERE

I guess it's true, what's old is new again :!:
Enjoy :!: :D:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Judah14 wrote: I think the reason why they use single-deck trams is that long single-decker trams will allow passengers to get on and off much easier than on a double decker tram.

That is true, although there were multiple-entrance double-deckers on many of the UK systems. The real limitation on speed of loading is often the fare-collecting system.
A good idea to further increase capacity is to make the trams run on a viaduct segregated from other traffic. ...
There are two problems with overhead systems:

1) Getting the passengers to the vehicle. For longer journeys the walk to the boarding point is only a small proportion of the whole journey, but for short journeys the difficulty of access will deter potential passengers. "Light rail" can benefit from segregated and overhead alignments, but trams [streetcars] benefit from running on the streets, especially if they are given priority at junctions.

2) The overhead structure is difficult to install in a congested city and often creates 'blight' in the streets below. In the UK many of our cities have historic centres and an overhead structure would be ruled out on conservation grounds, whereas trams have far less visual impact.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Judah14 wrote:I think the reason why they use single-deck trams is that long single-decker trams will allow passengers to get on and off much easier than on a double decker tram. A good idea to further increase capacity is to make the trams run on a viaduct segregated from other traffic.
Classic trams (streetcars) are getting rarer in the US as the standards of the general public's driving behaviour falls and the incidence of collisions between trams and automobiles increases. Most major urban areas that have mass transit (or metros) run the inner-city stuff in tunnels (although there are exceptions) or on dedicated rights-of-way on the surface. Elevated systems, while in use in some cities, are growing more rare.

The main issues we have here are (1) insufficient financial resources being applied as the level of available money dries up, (2) ancient infrastructure that doesn't allow for tight headways (e.g. signalling systems and human-in-the-loop control, see, in part, 1), (3) failure in civil behaviour at stations which would allow shorter dwell times ("let 'em off before getting on"), and (4) a perpetual fight against mass transit waged by the automobile manufacturers and the oil companies.

Item 2 above is also why the US has no high-speed rail (save for a short section in Rhode Island where the Acela is allowed to kick up her heels for a few miles); the signalling systems can't cope with it on lines that host both passenger and freight operations, and there is no money for rail-bed realignment and proper geometry maintenance. (Also "NIMBYs" (for "Not In My Backyard") in Connecticut managed to scuttle improvements that Amtrak wanted to make in that little state that leaves our racehorse to trot through Connecticut at about 50 MPH instead of over 100. Grade (level) crossings and high-speed trains do not mix.)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gotta love those NIMBY people....

The very definition of American hypocrisy. Oh how they love to live the modern American dream life.... just don't let them see any exposed wires that make it possible. :roll:

They complain about poor cell reception, yet block any effort to build towers because if the "eye sore".

They want power to run their modern lives, yet block efforts to build power plants.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote:NEW Dallas Street Car [...]
Now that's interesting. The thing looks like it's a hybrid capable of running both from overhead power (catenary) or, I'm guessing, infernal combustion of some sort (diesel? CNG?).
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

moonshadow wrote:I'm noticing that a lot of local towns and cities around here are starting to purchase what I call "imitation trolley's" to their public transit fleet.

They are actually street vehicles (small buses), that do not run on rails, but rather have four wheels, a driver, steering wheel, brake and acceleration, they are still built to resemble the classic "trolley car" that used to be quite common in many cities decades ago.

Pulaski Virginia obtained one a few years ago, and I see Abingdon VA has a few as well. They are very attractive vehicles and fun to ride. The fact that they are not tethered to a rail, while making it not quite authentic, also means you can enjoy taking the "trolley" virtually anywhere a motor car can go.
Here is a much more futuristic-looking "imitation trolley", the Van Hool Exqui.City:
It has a modular design, available with diesel, CNG, hybrid diesel, trolley (overhead wires) and battery-electric propulsion systems, and in 18 m and 24 m lengths.
pelmut wrote: That is true, although there were multiple-entrance double-deckers on many of the UK systems. The real limitation on speed of loading is often the fare-collecting system.
A good solution to speed up fare collection is to use a smartcard for fare payment, like what double-decker buses in several cities accept. You just tap the card on the reader to pay your fare.
らき☆
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Judah14 wrote:
pelmut wrote: That is true, although there were multiple-entrance double-deckers on many of the UK systems. The real limitation on speed of loading is often the fare-collecting system.
A good solution to speed up fare collection is to use a smartcard for fare payment, like what double-decker buses in several cities accept. You just tap the card on the reader to pay your fare.
That's fine if you have one, but there still has to be provision for the casual user to pay in cash.

Midlands Metro started life with high-tech ticket machines at each stop, they were complex and slowed things down to the point where people queuing to pay were in danger of missing their tram. The machines had to be emptied frequently to discourage robbery - and they broke down frequently, so passengers were often allowed to travel free of charge. Eventually common-sense prevailed and they put conductors on the trams; fare evasion went down and passenger numbers went up because people felt a lot safer. The overall result was an increase in income which more than paid for the extra wages.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

pelmut wrote: That's fine if you have one, but there still has to be provision for the casual user to pay in cash.

Midlands Metro started life with high-tech ticket machines at each stop, they were complex and slowed things down to the point where people queuing to pay were in danger of missing their tram. The machines had to be emptied frequently to discourage robbery - and they broke down frequently, so passengers were often allowed to travel free of charge. Eventually common-sense prevailed and they put conductors on the trams; fare evasion went down and passenger numbers went up because people felt a lot safer. The overall result was an increase in income which more than paid for the extra wages.
Even with smartcards conductors must be needed for customer assistance (like for example, when the card reader is defective), and as you said, to collect fares manually for those without cards. City buses in Metro Manila that have card readers have conductors on them to allow people without cards to pay their fare.
らき☆