Where have so many members gone

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where have so many members gone

Post by Brad »

I'm still here. I read every day but haven't posted as often. I go back to the old Tom's Cafe and Kristine's Atrium days which I know is ancient history for some of you. I also attended the Million Skirted Men March in February, 2004. Back then, there were freestylers and bravehearts, and sometimes the groups did not get along very well. How nice it is that all these years later this forum is still around and so vibrant and everyone gets along.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Brad, I still remember you - and your terrific outfit on the MSM march. Good to see you are still about.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have noted that we get occasional posts from such as Brad who are still around and don't really contribute much. For all I know there could be thousands, many of them members of long standing, who browse but don't contribute. We see them pop up occasionally. The trouble is is that they become invisible to us because the only touch we perceive is in the count on the visits on a thread. So the members may not have actually gone anywhere we just don't see them.

I hate to bring this up at this time but we have noted that some of our members have joined the skirted and dressed party in the sky over the past year or two. In the interests of camerarderie
have any of you thought of whether you would want this forum notifying in the event of your demise and who you would want to do it. I have thought occasionally that if I were to go suddenly then at the moment I have no mechanism for this and I presume that most of you may not. So a prolonged absence may not signify the worst but would have the same characteristics as some of our members that look but don't say. Just a thought.

Maybe that's why I sometimes contribute even though I don't have a right lot to say. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:I have noted that we get occasional posts from such as Brad who are still around and don't really contribute much. For all I know there could be thousands, many of them members of long standing, who browse but don't contribute. We see them pop up occasionally. The trouble is is that they become invisible to us because the only touch we perceive is in the count on the visits on a thread. So the members may not have actually gone anywhere we just don't see them.

I hate to bring this up at this time but we have noted that some of our members have joined the skirted and dressed party in the sky over the past year or two. In the interests of camerarderie
have any of you thought of whether you would want this forum notifying in the event of your demise and who you would want to do it. I have thought occasionally that if I were to go suddenly then at the moment I have no mechanism for this and I presume that most of you may not. So a prolonged absence may not signify the worst but would have the same characteristics as some of our members that look but don't say. Just a thought.

Maybe that's why I sometimes contribute even though I don't have a right lot to say. :D
Doubtless the only afterlife we will have, a remnant username in a forum.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Sinned wrote:have any of you thought of whether you would want this forum notifying in the event of your demise and who you would want to do it. I have thought occasionally that if I were to go suddenly then at the moment I have no mechanism for this and I presume that most of you may not. So a prolonged absence may not signify the worst but would have the same characteristics as some of our members that look but don't say. Just a thought.
I have a different outlook than most of you. Baring a sudden accident, my likely end of life trajectory is pretty well defined. After discussions with my Oncologist and Palliative care doctors here is what I have to expect. I have responded extremely well to the standard drug regime for my metastatic colon cancer. What was in the colon has been cut out and has not returned as of my last CT scan in July. But my liver is full of lesions (40+ on my first CT in February, now usually described as multiple or numerous) and a few scattered cysts in other places. So far everything has been stable or shrinking from scan to scan. But my Oncologist has been honest with me and said some day the cells that weren't susceptible to the drugs that I've been given will rear they ugly head. I'm going in on Monday for infusion number 11 and intend to ask her if there are other drugs that might be tried when that time comes. I will have to decide when that time comes if the side effects are worth the extension of life.

I had a session with the Palliative Care doctor the end of July to discuss end of life issues. She described continuing on with my current quality of life until it suddenly and rapidly falls off. I would then begin hospice care and my body will decline to eat and drink. The end comes fairly quickly then and without pain (at least whatever I have would be able to be controlled).

My goal now is to get my will written and the beneficiary of the other half of my retirement accounts notified of my intentions. I have a letter agreement already drawn up for the first half (done last spring when I thought the end was closer). My intentions for my will have already been well discussed with my brother who will be my executor.

To get back on topic - when I feel I am on that downhill slope, I trust I will have the energy to write a final goodby post here. In the meantime, my interest in wearing my skirts has returned the last month or so and I expect to wear one to my Oncologist on Monday. I broke them in last time by wearing my kilt-like skirt. Other than a comment or two about embracing my heritage, nothing was said.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Wishing you the best, Stuart :!: :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote:Wishing you the best, Stuart :!: :D

Uncle Al
Seconded...! You wear whatever you want Stuart.

As for me, there is another member of this site (Jenn) who obviously resides with me. I would hope she would advise if something were to happen to me suddenly. Barring a freak accident, I should be around for several more decades. There are also a few here who know my legal name, so if all else fails... search the obits....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Seconded...! You wear whatever you want Stuart.
Indeed, Stuart. Know that you are thought of.
moonshadow wrote:There are also a few here who know my legal name, so if all else fails... search the obits....
It wouldn't be the first time. :(

If something happens to me, on the other hand, there's now nobody around to even necessarily know in the short term. However, if something does happen, I just hope it's quick. (I need to codify the Succession of Power at some point in case I meet with an untimely demise...)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirted_in_SF wrote:...Baring a sudden accident, my likely end of life trajectory is pretty well defined...
I, too, wish you the best.

Have as much fun as you can for as long as you can, and then go quickly and with dignity. That's as good as it gets.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Stuart,
I wish you the best of times and want you to be able to enjoy the time left wither it be months or years. My prayers are with you.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:
Uncle Al wrote:Wishing you the best, Stuart :!: :D

Uncle Al
Seconded...! You wear whatever you want Stuart.

As for me, there is another member of this site (Jenn) who obviously resides with me. I would hope she would advise if something were to happen to me suddenly. Barring a freak accident, I should be around for several more decades. There are also a few here who know my legal name, so if all else fails... search the obits....

I would let everyone know. Lets not talk about that you're not going anywhere anytime soon.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
Sinned wrote:have any of you thought of whether you would want this forum notifying in the event of your demise and who you would want to do it. I have thought occasionally that if I were to go suddenly then at the moment I have no mechanism for this and I presume that most of you may not. So a prolonged absence may not signify the worst but would have the same characteristics as some of our members that look but don't say. Just a thought.
I have a different outlook than most of you. Baring a sudden accident, my likely end of life trajectory is pretty well defined. After discussions with my Oncologist and Palliative care doctors here is what I have to expect. I have responded extremely well to the standard drug regime for my metastatic colon cancer. What was in the colon has been cut out and has not returned as of my last CT scan in July. But my liver is full of lesions (40+ on my first CT in February, now usually described as multiple or numerous) and a few scattered cysts in other places. So far everything has been stable or shrinking from scan to scan. But my Oncologist has been honest with me and said some day the cells that weren't susceptible to the drugs that I've been given will rear they ugly head. I'm going in on Monday for infusion number 11 and intend to ask her if there are other drugs that might be tried when that time comes. I will have to decide when that time comes if the side effects are worth the extension of life.

I had a session with the Palliative Care doctor the end of July to discuss end of life issues. She described continuing on with my current quality of life until it suddenly and rapidly falls off. I would then begin hospice care and my body will decline to eat and drink. The end comes fairly quickly then and without pain (at least whatever I have would be able to be controlled).

My goal now is to get my will written and the beneficiary of the other half of my retirement accounts notified of my intentions. I have a letter agreement already drawn up for the first half (done last spring when I thought the end was closer). My intentions for my will have already been well discussed with my brother who will be my executor.

To get back on topic - when I feel I am on that downhill slope, I trust I will have the energy to write a final goodby post here. In the meantime, my interest in wearing my skirts has returned the last month or so and I expect to wear one to my Oncologist on Monday. I broke them in last time by wearing my kilt-like skirt. Other than a comment or two about embracing my heritage, nothing was said.

My Prayers are with you. Live life to the fullest and keep on skirting. Enjoy your days as if you was just starting. God Bless!
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Wondering where Judah's been hiding? I rather miss his whitty post...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I second what Jenn said.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.