Soup of the Day

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Soup of the Day

Post by Uncle Al »

:mrgreen: :pint: Soup of the Day :pint: :mrgreen:
Soup of the Day 2016-07-12.jpg
:pint: :hide: :pint:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Soup of the Day

Post by Caultron »

Uncle Al wrote:...Soup of the Day...
Sure, I'll try a bowl...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

is that a lunch special? Or breakfast? :D
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is probably one of those cold soups, be a great lunch in summer.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm enjoying a double (maybe triple) glass of "soup" now, having stumbled upon one of the "joys of summer" here in the south. I discovered, via the hard way as usual, that I have a nest of yellowjackets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket for you Brits) in my back yard; they gave me a "Rebel yell" greeting while I was mowing the lawn today; I remain convinced that the original Rebel yell was simply the cry of pain after inadvertently discovering a nest of the buggers. :P Two stings on one ankle and one on the other, and I was suddenly a "dancing fool". I can recall as a boy having fled a still-running Farmall tractor after plowing up a nest; waiting until nightfall to return with five gallons of gasoline; the tractor, by then, having run out of fuel. Oh well, it gave me an excuse to stop work for a while. And after my "refreshment" it seems unlikely that I will resume it today...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have had the unpleasant visit from them several times. :( Once I got stung on the ear lobe by about 20 of the buggers, left me with a knot inside my ear that lasted for over 8 years. :censored:
It would get infected and swell up until at last all of the stingers were gone. :hooray:

Fred :kiltdance:
Last edited by Fred in Skirts on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We've had such a miserable sunless 'Summer' to date that I haven't seen a single wasp anywhere.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:I discovered, via the hard way as usual, that I have a nest of yellowjackets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket for you Brits) in my back yard; they gave me a "Rebel yell" greeting while I was mowing the lawn today; I remain convinced that the original Rebel yell was simply the cry of pain after inadvertently discovering a nest of the buggers.
We have them up here in New England, too. Yellow jackets are one of the very few things that I will kill immediately and on sight. If I find a nest of the things -- and over the years have found several -- I'll wait 'til dusk and apply insect-killer in large quantities to the entrance/exit to the underground nest, and reapply it the next day to make sure.

I suspect my hatred of the things dates back into childhood, but I haven't been able to nail it down.

Honeybees, on the other hand, I have an affection for. However, those rarely sting unless really provoked. Yellow jackets, I suspect, sting for the fun of it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
dillon wrote:I discovered, via the hard way as usual, that I have a nest of yellowjackets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket for you Brits) in my back yard; they gave me a "Rebel yell" greeting while I was mowing the lawn today; I remain convinced that the original Rebel yell was simply the cry of pain after inadvertently discovering a nest of the buggers.
We have them up here in New England, too. Yellow jackets are one of the very few things that I will kill immediately and on sight. If I find a nest of the things -- and over the years have found several -- I'll wait 'til dusk and apply insect-killer in large quantities to the entrance/exit to the underground nest, and reapply it the next day to make sure.

I suspect my hatred of the things dates back into childhood, but I haven't been able to nail it down.

Honeybees, on the other hand, I have an affection for. However, those rarely sting unless really provoked. Yellow jackets, I suspect, sting for the fun of it.
I was able to determine the nest location this morning after they had calmed down. I still have a partial jug of Asana left over from when I used to raise sweet corn; tonight those suckers are going down... :twisted:
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

dillon wrote:I was able to determine the nest location this morning after they had calmed down. I still have a partial jug of Asana left over from when I used to raise sweet corn; tonight those suckers are going down... :twisted:
Highly toxic to bees according to the label, should do the trick. Of course, this is an off label use of the product.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
dillon wrote:I was able to determine the nest location this morning after they had calmed down. I still have a partial jug of Asana left over from when I used to raise sweet corn; tonight those suckers are going down... :twisted:
Highly toxic to bees according to the label, should do the trick. Of course, this is an off label use of the product.
If the EPA wants to come and move that nest, they can be my guest. I'll hold the garden gate open for them.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I found another Asana jug that had only wash-out rinsate in it, which I had probably saved to use on fire ants. I used the dilute gallon to douse the yellow jacket nest the other evening. They are gone now; I am not losing sleep over it. I mowed my lawns today without incident.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We found a wasps nest in an internal eaves that we opened out. It was empty as our wasps build a new nest every year. We may have noticed a few more wasps about one year but thought no more about it so don't know how long it had been there. Stung a few times when a youngster by bees, hornets and wasps and have never shown any allergic reactions. If I found a wasps nest I would leave it unless it was going to pose a problem for us - after all when the summer ends the occupants would move on. Not sure if we have any really dangerous ants or wasps over here.

Just come back from Jamaica and discovered Amoretto and coke while there and sank more than a few each day. Quite a refreshing almondy flavoured drink.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.