Gun control

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gun control

Post by oldsalt1 »

Question why is it that you agree to let this subject die quietly, but only after you stated you opinion on the subject
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's likely down to wishful thinking.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

As in Britain, we have an unarmed police force here and few people in the general populace possess firearms. But the bad guys and drug barons will always get and have shooters and the police must train special armed squads to deal with them.

Fortunately for the general public including me, that's just something you read about in the papers. Personally as a young man I received two years' weapons training in the volounteer Local Defence Force, but would not allow a firearm of any sort anywhere near our household, period.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Ray wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:22 am Dust, thanks for the clarification.

My only comment - if one’s reaction to one’s views being challenged in robust fashion is to shoot them... - that’s your (country’s) problem, right there.
He specifically said that he was fine with discussion and opposing ideas, but that if it came to violence, he was ready.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by oldsalt1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:18 pm

Question why is it that you agree to let this subject die quietly, but only after you stated you opinion on the subject
Dan, good question and no opinion on the subject opined from here: Perhaps the fastest route to death of this thread is to ignore it -- rather like most people do MIS! Bye bye
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Dust, your explanation does not change my observation; it confirms it.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:03 am As in Britain, we have an unarmed police force here and few people in the general populace possess firearms. But the bad guys and drug barons will always get and have shooters and the police must train special armed squads to deal with them.

Fortunately for the general public including me, that's just something you read about in the papers. Personally as a young man I received two years' weapons training in the volounteer Local Defence Force, but would not allow a firearm of any sort anywhere near our household, period.

Tom
Guns are just tools. Yes, they can be dangerous, but so can the power tools you use to build a new fence or whatever. Learn to use them safely, and keep them out of the hands of small children, and you and your family will be fine. Kids can drown in a pool or drink the chemicals under the sink, too. Keep an eye on them, don't let them play near the pool alone. Put the baby latches on the cabinet doors if you have something particularly nasty in there, chemical wise. Common sense safety, same as with guns.

Even in the US, most cops never shoot anyone. My uncle retired from the police without firing his weapon outside training. The closest he ever came was when he drew it on a guy who was going after his partner with a hammer. Just drawing his gun was enough to stop the guy without anyone getting hurt. Without the gun, his partner probably would have gotten seriously hurt.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Dust, there are two critical points you glossed over in your last post:
1) Guns are the only intentionally lethal consumer product on the market.
2) For the last 120 or more years we in the US have left it up to gun owners' discretion as to use whether or not they apply their common sense to how they use and store their firearms and we have over 30,000 gun deaths a year, every year, year in and year out. We are also the only developed nation that has mass shootings on a regular basis.

That's why the overwhelming majority of Americans, including most gunowners, are in favor of additional, national gun safety laws.

Dennis, I couldn't agree with you more; there is no excuse for ordinary citizens of the United States being allowed to own high capacity magazines, weapons with high rates of fire and virtual arsenals. At least not without special licensing, with fees high enough to support thorough background checks and regular inspections to ensure the firearms are being stored safely.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Most of the firearms legislation in the U.K. has been obstensibly to control their spread to criminals. It has been spectacularly unsuccessful in doing this. It has however penalised otherwise law abiding citizens. Giving the truth to the saying “when you outlaw guns the outlaws carry guns”
What is needed is not more gun legislation but better education in their use and respect for the rights of others. Until recently in Switzerland it was compulsory for males of military age to own a gun. I didn’t notice the streets filled with bodies. I have come across instances in UK of people being threatened with them by criminals because they are reasonably certain the victim couldn’t reply in kind. Enough of this rant now from an otherwise liberally minded member
:roll:
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

It wasn't compulsory that Swiss males of military age own a firearm; they were required to keep the firearm they were issued by the military in their home (and presumably keep it clean and in good working condition) so that if they were called to duty, they could get to where they were needed that much quicker. Because it was the property of the Swiss government and a highly dangerous piece of equipment, there were severe penalties for using it for any personal purpose whatsoever, let alone such weighty subjects as your neighbor's dog barking too frequently.

Here in the US a lot more people get shot by civilians over such trivialities than protecting oneself from criminals.

Be careful of what you wish for Shilo.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

City with some of the highest gun deaths and crimes Detroit City with the strictest gun control laws Detroit.

and I don't think the gun violence in Detroit is citizens fighting over Trivialities
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

The two states with the highest per capita rates of gun deaths are Texas and Louisiana. They have some of the most lenient gun laws, because the citizens of those two states tend to be gunowners.

In addition, it makes NO sense whatsoever to try to make a case about gun laws by cherry-picking a city for the simple reason that the Interstate Highway system and our rate of automobile ownership makes it so easy to get out of town or even one's home state and go where it's easier to get a gun.

Just putting a law on the books has rarely if ever accomplished anything. It has to be enforced and to enforce a law, it has to be enforceable. Hence, the need to institute strong enforceable gun laws on the national level.

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

{sigh} We had a chance to ignore an inflammatory thread and we lost that chance...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I agree that laws have to be enforced but who is going to do it a social worker or the defunded remains of the police department.

With all the talk and some actions towards defunding the sale of guns has increased dramatically.

How about that CR 2 hot button subjects in one post. Excuse me I have to put on my skirt so I can go to weekday mass
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

As I said cities not states with the highest rates Detroit is number 1 and as for states highest gun death rates is Alaska and Alabama and I am sure that Detroit's problem is not caused by people driving in to commit a crime.

What are we doing today , I don't know lets drive to Detroit and shoot some body?????