Bad neighbour

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Re: Bad neighbour

Post by Uncle Al »

Dillon - Love that story. :D

Ingenuity at its finest. :twisted:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think we're going to be okay.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I think we're going to be okay.
OK, that's good. Did something happen, or was this a case of instantaneous overreaction?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

stevelous is in England. As far as I know we don't have skunks and racoons over here.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:I think we're going to be okay.
OK, that's good. Did something happen, or was this a case of instantaneous overreaction?
A little or both. I apologize, I didn't write more because the jury was still out at the time of writing.

Now I'm reasonably sure it's going to be okay.

Basically, thanks to Mother Nature, and her snow storm she dumped on us. I had parked the car at the edge of our driveway. The man who lives in the yellow house came down to our trailer and invited us to use a little spot next to his house. This gave him room to back out (he apparently uses the edge of my driveway) and it also gives me a flat place to launch my vehicle as well, so it's a win-win for when the snow falls.

The conversation was going well, so I mentioned the RV that the other man was living in in his backyard. I explained to him my wife felt awful for calling the authorities out but as she's home alone during the day, and doesn't know people around here that well she didn't know what to do. Thankfully nothing drastic happened as a result of it, and to this day, the RV man keeps it down respectfully. He told me if it happens again just to knock on the guys door and tell him to quit it. I obliged.

The conversation then shifted to your typical "meet your new neighbor" banter, where we exchanged names, work places, previous residence, etc. I learned some very interesting facts about our new neighbors.
His daughter is going to be 17 years old and is a F2M transgender boy.

I grinned and after he finished explaining to me how sometimes he has trouble wrapping his mind around it, I assured him that we were "trans-friendly", and told him that I myself dabble in the feminine side of things, and that for the sake of labels, I consider myself gender fluid. He seemed pleased. I thought that was pretty cool. My old neighbors at Damascus, while friendly, always seemed to keep me at an arms distance, I was the "odd" one after all.

Now we're living next to an LGBT family. (another member is bi). I'm considering this one a win!

The next day I walked over the the man who was living in the RV and cleared everything up with him. He came down to our trailer and met Jenn, so now they're not strangers any more.

For the kindness of him allowing me to park beside his house at the top of the hill, today, in my mouseworks skirt, black sweater, rainbow socks, and beanie I shoveled a path in the snow to where my car was parked and cleared out a little area for both of us, including shoveling a place for his car to get out too.

All is well in the Moon world today....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

This sounds entirely good, and points up that actually getting to know folks has value. Isolation kills; engagement sometimes can, but that's a fairly rare occurrence.

Personally, I prefer to be engaged with those living and dwelling around me; an interesting takeaway from that is when I was looking for a place to live following the entirely-unanticipated detonation of a 26-year relationship I refused to move back into a standard apartment-block. I lived in one for many years earlier-on in life, and found it unbelievably isolating. This annoyed the daylights out of my aunt who I was staying with at the time, but friends intervened and I found a splendid situation where I get along with everyone in my immediate vicinity and things are just good.

The bit of doing a bit of extra shovelling is precisely the sort of grace-note that we should all endeavour to do for those around us. The trivial bit of extra effort makes everybody a little bit happier. Like politeness, it takes no effort, is free, and generally speaking yields benefit for everybody. Unlike in the economy and on Wall Street, this is not a zero-sum game -- and it really is possible for everybody to come out ahead.

I'm gladdened to also know that introductions have been made all the way 'round, and that a knock on the door if things are getting too loud won't be met with a shotgun-blast. (I have always been of the opinion that if the party is loud enough to hear that anybody hearing it is invited -- and have treated things so.)
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Looking on Ebay for a cheap ships hooter. Tried to get some skunks from Whipsnade zoo but decided it would be too cruel for the skunks!

Still if it carries on we will be giving them a taste of their own medicine by placing our speaker system against the party wall and playing Toccata and fugue at full base on a repeat loop before going out for the day! But i guess that would make me the bad neighbour.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Well it finally happened, gave the guy a taste of his own medicine, not only the JS Bach but some Daft Punk as well. Since then peace has reigned in our house, we can hear the Television at low volume and enjoy our dinner (roast Beef) without the unwelcome accompaniment of gangster rap. Result!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Why am I now curious about "Daft Punk"?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

@moonshadow, I'm glad your problem is solved more or less. As a Dutch saying goes:"Better a good neighbor than a far away friend."
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:Why am I now curious about "Daft Punk"?
A French "electronic music" duo; they've been around for 20+ years this side of the pond, info from Wiki and Daft Punk here.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:A French "electronic music" duo; they've been around for 20+ years this side of the pond [...]
Interesting. The initial listen reminded me powerfully of Genesis although Genesis to my knowledge never used a vocoder in their work. More research may be required...