Worlds Smallest Model Train

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Worlds Smallest Model Train

Post by Uncle Al »

For all the model train enthusiasts....

I've found the worlds smallest train set. It can operate with an
A/C adapter or off of AA batteries.

This is the website where the trains can be ordered from www.trainaidsa.com
which I happened to find on eBay. Can you imagine - the scale is 1:450 ?
(That's 1 foot equals 450 feet.)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Worlds Smallest Model Train

Post by AMM »

To get a better idea of how small this is (the website is really terrible for this), the track gauge (space between the rails) is 3mm. For you metric-phobes, that's 1/8 inch. Standard North American equipment (10' wide by 70-80 feet) would be about 1/4 inch wide and about 2 inches long in T scale.

I haven't actually seen any of this stuff, but it seems to me that you'd need watchmakers' tools just to get the train on the tracks. And imagine if you had a pet cat. A box car is about the size of a cockroach or cricket; in other words, a perfect kitty snack!

For comparison:

HO gauge is 1:87, track gauge is 16.5 mm (about 5/8 inch), and cars are roughly 1-3/8 inch wide. Still pretty small, but a bit too large for a cat to swallow whole.

I notice that the train sets on sale all model Japanese equipment. I'm guessing that their target market is Japanese families in small apartments who want an entire layout that can fit on a coffee table.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

If you are not a fan of small train sets you might like to take a look at this video of a model railway at the other end of the size range. I have to confess that, despite having little interest in toy trains, I'm impressed.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

During my work period in Germany I lived in a town (Nordenham, near Bremerhaven) only a hundred-odd miles from Hamburg and I visited the model 'Wunderland' once. It's been extended a lot since my time there, and it is very interesting to see how it has been developed since I saw it. Thanks for that.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !