Irish and Baileys coffee

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Irish and Baileys coffee

Post by Since1982 »

We have a beverages and food sub-forum at the "other" site. Here's a topic I posted there. Might be some interest in it here too. :D :D :D

Did you know that Irish pubs are the most popular drinking establishments worldwide? They pop up in Tokyo, Edinburgh, London, Los Angeles they truly appeal to everybody. This may also explain the universal popularity of their signature drinks: the Irish Coffee and Baileys Coffee. Many stories abound about both drinks origins and who can claim their invention, but what remains is the undeniable fact that an Irish meal is not truly complete without one of these after-dinner treats. Follow these simple instructions to create your own special dessert coffee.

Ingredients:
-Ground coffee of choice
-Cream liqueur of choice or whisky of choice
-Brown sugar
-Cream (NOT milk)

Equipment:
-Coffee maker
-Tablespoon
-Small mixing bowl
-Whisk

-Large, clear goblet glass or vase-shaped coffee mug (for the traditionalists, but any heat-resistant glass or mug will do)

Start your coffee maker with your ground coffee of choice. You can estimate how much you will need to make the same way you estimate how much coffee you make in the morning-read the lines along the side of the coffee pot and make at least one cup of coffee per finished drink you intend to make.

While the coffee is percolating, pour about 2 cups of cream into your small mixing bowl and whisk it for about 5 minutes by hand. You do not want it to whip, just to lighten up enough to sit frothily on top of the end product.

As the coffee finishes, quickly run your chosen glasses or mugs under the hottest possible water available. This step is not necessary but does add to the luxuriousness of the presentation. Add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to each glass or mug. Keep the tablespoon handy.

Once the coffee is ready, pour 2 parts coffee to 1 part cream liqueur or 1 part whiskey while leaving enough room for 1 part cream. If you use cream liqueur, you are making a Baileys Coffee. If you use whisky, you are making an Irish Coffee. The difference in the liqueur is the only difference between these two after-dinner drinks.

Your coffee is almost ready taste-wise but here is the trickiest part of the presentation. Make sure you have the cream you have been whisking nearby. Take that handy tablespoon and start mixing together the chosen liqueur, the coffee, and the brown sugar. Mix it fast enough so that you get a whirlpool within the glass. Before the whirlpool slows, turn your spoon face downwards towards the bottom of the glass so that the bottom of the spoon faces towards you. Touch the edge of the whirling liquid with the tip of the spoon and pour the whisked cream over the back of the spoon slowly. The whirlpool you have created will grab the cream and start swirling it around the glass. Make sure you pour slowly or the cream will sink despite all your whisking and you wont get that pretty froth on top.

Ta da! You now have your own personalized Baileys Coffee or Irish Coffee. Serve with biscuits if you choose.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Irish and Baileys coffee

Post by Kirbstone »

Very well described! Irish Whiskey is spelt like that.
Irish Coffee was first invented by a waiter in Rhinanna aerodrome, (later to become Shannon Airport) to help warm the innards of cold and weary air travellers who made it across the rain & wind-swept tarmac into the primitive terminal building having flown over from Gander (Newfoundland) in the piston engined propeller aircraft of the day. That was about 1950 or thereabouts.
The (ladies') drink Baileys came along years after that.

On a visit to Prague in 1990, just after the fall of the Communist era they didn't have many places to eat there, so we visited a large exhibition hall out of town. The Czeck tradition is a schnapps with every course, and to our surprise we noticed they had Irish Coffee on the menu, and ordered it after the meal. It came in a DIY version....the coffee, the sugar, the glass, and cream in a seperate little jug. We were amused.
The dissolved sugar increases the specific gravity of the coffee, so the cream has no difficulty floating on the top.

Prague revisited in 2002 & 2009 now has shoulder to shoulder pavement restaurants & several Irish pubs....no surprise there!
Last edited by Kirbstone on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

A what it the fastest game in an Irish Pub - pass the parcel

OK I'II get me coat
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

RichardA wrote:A what it the fastest game in an Irish Pub - pass the parcel

OK I'II get me coat