In Marks and Sparks sale today

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
stevelous

In Marks and Sparks sale today

Post by stevelous »

Took my wife to our Local shopping centre today and we went into Marks and Spencer to browse the selection of clothing available to buy on their New Year sale.

There were racks and racks of Trousers, racks and racks of tops but only about 3 types of Skirt and the same number of dresses. Looking at the other customers around us the only women in Skirts were the older generation/ pensioners.

Even my wife now refuses to wear a Skirt, does not like the look of her legs!

I really do have to wonder where all this is going, the worst is the 'chav' fashion of a tatty track suit, baseball cap and fake jewlery. Even the young girls dress like that, swear and are generally nasty. This has happened, in large, since the universal adoption of Trousers.

I wish we could turn the clock back a few years and remove this blot on the history of the world but we cannot.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Re: In Marks and Sparks sale today

Post by cessna152towser »

The only good thing to come of women all going into trousers is that men in skirts are no longer laughed at.
Women in skirts are almost as rare as men in skirts around here nowadays, particularly during the winter months.
Ten years ago I would only ever wear a kilt as costume for a special event.
Now I wear a kilt or skirt almost daily and I own more than forty kilts/skirts and just two pairs of trousers.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

stevelous wrote:I really do have to wonder where all this is going, the worst is the 'chav' fashion of a tatty track suit, baseball cap and fake jewlery. Even the young girls dress like that, swear and are generally nasty. This has happened, in large, since the universal adoption of Trousers.

I wish we could turn the clock back a few years and remove this blot on the history of the world but we cannot.
Blot? You mean the time when girls were judged differently for cursing than boys were? Yep, we are still stuck there but going back in time sure wouldn't help any. I think the blot actually is the persistence of people wishing to tell others how to live. I'm all for people dressing to please themselves, particularly young people who are still maturing and forming an identity apart from what a world of office work would require of them. My guess is your clothing style doesn't win high marks with them either but you might want to ask them for fun and see what they have to say.

The comparison of women wearing trousers to other behavior changes reminds me of my mother's take on what parents sometimes call the "terrible twos". She explained to me it isn't that the developing child is misbehaving so much as beginning to have opinions of their own so not as complacent as in infancy. Not all parents are ready for that transition.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

When I was a youngster very few people used bad language and we judged anyone who used that sort of language as being nasty, did not matter whether male or female.

Since then things have changed for the worst, foul and abusive language is now the norm, especially among the under 25's. Yes you see other older people curse but not to anything like the way these do.

I described the CHAV generation in my first post, Wikipedia has an article on them. They choose to wear illegal copies of famous brand names, Burbury being one example. They can and do criticise my choice of attire. But I would not want to stop their choice but I ask them to accept my choices in a free and democratic country.

Sadly the UK, where I am based, has been in moral decline since 1979 and the Thatcher years of only looking out for ones self and ignore the rest. Being brought up in the 1960's and being taught the difference between right and wrong, be helpful to those around you and remember to use the words Thank You and actually mean it, I do pine for simpler days when all Children where special not just the girls.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Thanks for clarifying that it is the poor behavior of anybody that is the problem, stevelous. Before that your original post seemed to say the world was better when women wore skirts. It is very heartening to read you aren't aiming to pry me from my jeans. :D

From the British shows seen in America I have a mental picture of the typical chav and the behavior. I didn't know about their pride in knockoff brands though. Intellectual property, trademarks, and copyrights are a strong interest of mine so it is sad to learn people are cherishing their identity of patronizing thieves. On a lighter note though, I'm wondering if an expensive skirt design for men would ever sweep the chav market. Not likely, but you never know.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Sadly the UK, where I am based, has been in moral decline since 1979 and the Thatcher years of only looking out for ones self and ignore the rest.
The way in which traditional family values were destroyed by the Thatcher culture was heartily sickening and now we are paying the price as today's young adults don't have the bond with their parents which we had with ours. Having fathered a daughter in 1981 I speak from experience.
I like to believe though that the twenty first century androgyny of men and women has gone some way to redress this, with men now having more opportunity to participate in their children's upbringing. Nowadays, I often see men taking young children out and about without needing the mother or another woman to accompany them.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/