Would Wearing A Skirt Or Dress Be Considered Contempt

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Would Wearing A Skirt Or Dress Be Considered Contempt

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Yesterday an acquaintance of mine was jailed for contempt of court
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RlcT-3niV ... keene.com/

This reminded me that there have been judges who have deemed if folk not wearing a suit or conventionally dressed as being in contempt.

Now I have appeared in court but long ago when I was dumb & young, a time I didn’t wear a dress as I do now. Now I hope to never ever have to go near a court ever again but such is life & well I thought it was an interesting question.

Of course some might cheekily say that as a judge wears a dress how could he & in Britain they also wear wigs.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Would Wearing A Skirt Or Dress Be Considered Contempt

Post by imadube »

As for Judges wearing whatever, it would be easily argued by the courts or others that wearing a skirt/dress as everyday wear and as "uniform of office" are two different things. Besides, know any judges that would admit or even prove that they do not have pants on under the "gown/robe"?....
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes
Two options to purchase;
Red Dragon Electronic Cigarettes
http://imadube.web.officelive.com
Green Smoke Electronic Cigarettes
http://greensmoke.com/5520.html
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

There have been judges here who have ordered people that they are 'inappropriately dressed' for courts & either held them in contempt or fined them.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:This reminded me that there have been judges who have deemed if folk not wearing a suit or conventionally dressed as being in contempt.
I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but there is wide latitude here considering what judges can define as "contempt of court". It pretty much boils down to the various courtroom "participants" not meeting the expectations of any given judge for demeanour or appearance. The intent both is to keep what's supposed to be a spectacle of gravitas from turning into a circus.

Without knowing a-priori what a given judge's stance is on "alternative attire", it's generally considered best to dress as anonymously as possible -- e.g. suits and ties for men and either skirts or dress-slacks for women.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Without knowing a-priori what a given judge's stance is on "alternative attire", it's generally considered best to dress as anonymously as possible -- e.g. suits and ties for men and either skirts or dress-slacks for women.
The point I'd make its okay if both men & women have a choice in wearing skirt or trouser suits otherwised its unfair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:The point I'd make its okay if both men & women have a choice in wearing skirt or trouser suits otherwised its unfair
I concur completely, but there are "better times" to make a fashion statement then when one's bacon is sizzling. It's all a matter of priority.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

There was an episode of Law & order that actually puts this point in fact out there.
It was when the Assistant DA (female) was told by the judge to wear a skirt, it's presumed by the viewer that the judge likes to check out the ladies, or be in comtempt.
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes
Two options to purchase;
Red Dragon Electronic Cigarettes
http://imadube.web.officelive.com
Green Smoke Electronic Cigarettes
http://greensmoke.com/5520.html
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Part of the problem here in the UK is that Judges (& even Magistrates) tend to make up their own 'rules' when it comes to participants' apparel. All I can say is if you really want to wear a skirt to court, better make it a Kilt! No, I'm deadly serious. No judge is going to risk his/her career on making an issue over a Kilt........
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

From what I could tell, the judge told all to take a
seat/sit down. The 'defendant' did not sit down right
away, and tried-to me-to address the 'bench'. The
"Judge" yelled at him like he was a yard dog, and
the bailiff was circling around to 'cuff' him-as soon
as the judge told all to sit down. I smell a very long
dead fish in this.......... :?

This 'sounds like' a scene out of 'The Old West', where
the 'Judge' was also the Jury and Exacutioner-all wrapped
up into one. A Very Bad Thing!

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I was asked to go change my clothes the first time I appeared for Jury Duty here. My skirt was deemed "inappropriate" by the female Judge who herself wasn't wearing a robe but was wearing trousers. I went out to the antechamber, called a friend who is a lawyer, he called the court, spoke to the judge who sent her bailiff out to the payphone to ask me to come in. My lawyer had asked me to ask the judge one question. "If my skirt is inappropriate, why aren't your trousers the same?" She turned red...but, allowed me to stay and do my civil duty without changing clothes. It made it easier for her when I told her I didn't OWN any trousers. (c:P
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I was in court the other day, providing transportation for someone rightfully charged with her second OUI.

EVERYONE was wearing trousers (me included). I thinks folks would have had seizures if ANYONE was in a skirt
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

I think the main thing that judges are concerned about when deciding whether you are "inappropriately dressed" in their courtrooms is whether they think it is a form of disrespect. Particularly in the lower courts, which is where you will find jury trials, judges are often in a position like that of a high-school teacher in the bad part of town -- they have to make it clear to everyone there who is in charge, or they will get run over. I think that most judges would be OK with a male juror in a skirt if you can convince them that there is absolutely no element of disrespect in it and that it is not likely to be disruptive.

I also have the impression that how strict the judge is will depend on your role there. I would expect that jurors get the most latitude, and attorneys the least, since the attorneys are assumed to be familiar with what the judge expects. Also, attorneys are considered officers of the court and are expected to uphold the dignity of The Law. So if you are a male attorney, you'd have a much harder time getting the judge to go along with you wearing a skirt.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

AMM, there's no required "uniform" for a man in a courtroom, be he juror, witness, lawyer or court watcher. The judge can't just go against one's civil rights in a courtroom because he/she feels like it. He/she must have some precedent under the law for making a juror leave and change clothes. MUST have. Unlike the "old west" there are no more "Judge Roy Beans" with that kind of "I AM the law" powers. At least no place I've lived in the last 40 years. Prior to that, I ran into some "I am the law" cops in Fort Lauderdale Florida, but the judges kept the cops after court for a spanking after apologising to and releasing me for being arrested for having hair over the top of my ears. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.