Any one as bummed as I?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Any one as bummed as I?

Post by imadube »

"I wear skirts all the time but I don't go where those "types" live, drink or frequent. I'm civilized, but I'm not stupid"

Well, that may be good, but in my own yard?? - I guess being surrounded by them 24 hours.................
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well [bearing in mind one's locale], that may be good, but in my own yard?? - I guess being surrounded by them 24 hours.................
The point to be taken here is that what was going on was a profoundly cowardly act by the idiots in the SUV; had they been anything like curious or brave they would have dismounted and asked what was up, at which point conversation might have ensued. As it happened, the cowards stayed in the (virtually) absolute safety of their truck and heaped abuse from a distance. I have no way of knowing whether they were locals or not, but if they were, they were being stupid; lots of folks have long memories and are not afraid of using them. After all, you might be a juror at one of their future DUI trials....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

Yeah, in fact... exactly what crfriend said. That was what I meant.

I had no idea you lived next to these jerks 24/7, imadube, I thought you meant that they were just passing through; it must be living h*ll for you. Nor was I meaning to imply that a sense of one's own lack-of-jerkiness would help, if one were getting beaten up by jerks; but getting beaten up by the jerks in question wasn't the stated case I was replying to. I simply meant what I said: that idiots who go around mocking people different from themselves are suffering from huge insecurity, and are proving that they have no guts. Sorry if I put anyone's nose out of joint; didn't mean to. <extends peace offering of lattes all 'round>

Inertia
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Agree. Frankly, anyone driving an SUV has a surfeit of moral turpitude and is patently worthy of derision (note - I'm fine with people using 4x4s for their abilities - that is, towing, offroading etc. Sadly I believe that such users are in the minority...).

As skirt wearers, we have more reason to laugh at them than vice versa; of course, being a polite lot, we don't! :D
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Imadube,
Sorry to hear about your accident. If you spend a lot of your life on the road, it's going to happen sooner or later. I'm thankful you were not injured or worse, and will keep my fingers crossed that things will work out as far as your job goes. That 2000 IH 9500 must have had about 800,000 miles on it by now - maybe you'll get a new rig, if not with this company, maybe another. It looks like we all might know the meaning of hard times over the next couple years. Anyway, today you have a right to be depressed, so wallow in it for a while, but don't let it become a way of life for you.

All things shall pass.

Sasq

PS Take it easy on the highways. My recommendation is to drag ass so even the Food Lions and JB Hunts are passing you! :)
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Steve

Post by Steve »

Since1982 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks saying a long line of rhetoric against the other guy and ending it with I'm so and so and I approve this message is weird? Duh, we KNOW you approved this message, you just told us the message. To me, it only makes sense to say "I'm so and so and I approve this message" IF so and so is NOT the one delivering it. That's it, Rant over. :hide:
This may answer your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_approve_this_message

Cliff's notes version: the phrase is required by law on campaign-sponsored advertising to discourage 'anonymous' bogus attack ads along the lines of "Candidate X eats babies for breakfast - after slathering them in ketchup - and refuses to use a napkin." and to generally encourage candidates to fully stand behind their advertisements.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

Thanks all - on both points of interest.

The SUV, No trouble about what was said - I didn't expect all of you to understand the "Middle TN - Mini-Town" mentality.
I call it a mini town cause the only reason it's still a town is that there is a post office. Otherwise it lost it's township in the 1920's after the Tobacco wars and Business dealings moved to Springfield. Now the families left and living here now feel that ALL others are outsiders. So, we "outsiders" are ridiculed anyway. Oddly enough the lady that sold us the house lead us to feel the opposite, small southern town friendly - ha ha. Well these "oldtimer" folks HATE change and differance. Have even killed over it in the recent past - U.S. History 101. We moved here out of need mostly, but to get away from "city growth" and really liked the house. (Early 1900's with hand hewn wood trimmings). Enough about that, just will be cautuious about what I do in a skirt outside.

The driving thing - the truck actually has over 1 million miles. With this company a new truck is already 5+ years old. With the fuel prices the boss has been unable to repair his latest buys to make them road ready. If we have to leave them I'll never get a driving job, no one will hire me after wreck like that. Which is not so bad except the income with us both on the truck can not be replaced locally, we will hardly get more then half as much.
As for driving slow then those others guys - all most always we run late due to shippers as is and the truck (we found only one of few in company) is set for 70 MPH. This alone sets us up to be called in the early morning asking "Where are you? - the people are looking for your load" As turns out we are doing what we can and they expect things faster. If we deliver "late" we loose the monthly bonus, so we can't win for loosing. Just another bit of U.S. Trucking History.
It would be cool if someone would recall that I wrote the Drivers Training Program being used on Ft. Campbell today and called me up for a Civilian job related to it. But I was trashed out on a medical and forgotten about.
So, anybody want to buy some Iraqi Dinars? Stupid idea to buy them I quess.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

imadube wrote:God I wish .............................. It was easy to disappear.
Please hang in there, you'd be missed. If you have access to a local university with a counselor training program they may have reduced cost assistance or sliding scale fees.