A New type of Electric--Electric/Hybrid Car--Up to 340 MPG

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

A New type of Electric--Electric/Hybrid Car--Up to 340 MPG

Post by Uncle Al »

Hey all!

Check this out....

http://www.aptera.com

These people are going for the X-Prize for Fuel Efficiency.
Once the Hybrid is available, it should get up towards
340MPG. Currently the draw-back is once the car has
reached 120-150 miles, the MPG comes down to 130 MPG.
Still, that beats a wrinkle in any sheet! I'ld settle for
130 MPG any day of the week!

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A New type of Electric--Electric/Hybrid Car--Up to 340 MPG

Post by Ray »

Looks fabulous, although I have reservations on them meeting the costs quoted.

I was really impressed until I read in the FAQ, "does it have cup holders?" - I nearly fell off my chair laughing!

Aerodynamic body? check. Super efficient rolling radius tyres? Check? Cup holders? Check. Flock wallpaper and beige curtains? Check. Dishwasher?....
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I like the design of that vehicle -- a lot. There are just a few things that bother me about it:
  • It's positively tiny. True, the manufacturer states that they're going head-over-heels to boost the safety of the machine, but what happens when some clown in a Ford Excursion doesn't see you and makes a lane change? The reason it gets such great mileage is because its mass is so low; the SUV "wins", likely every time.
  • Cup holders. I may be showing my curmudgenonly side here, but I think that anything in the cockpit that distracts the driver from his primary task is a very poor idea. Driving is, almost certainly, the most risky undertaking that we do regularly; adding distractions to that is, in my opinion, an unacceptable risk.
  • Weight. This is related to mass, and will have a profound effect on how the vehicle works in inclement weather. Motorcycles, especially those with narrow tires do OK in rain. How will this machine do in snow, sleet, and freezing rain. Now, I'll admit I have a northeast US slant on the notion, but I doubt I'd want to be on a motorcycle (heck, include a car in that!) on ice-slicked roads with more ice coming from the skies. Is the single propulsive wheel susceptible to hydroplaning? If so, with only one rear wheel, things could get dicy really fast.
  • Visibility. Is the clown on his cell'-'phone drinking his coffee going to see you from six feet up when he wants to make a manoeuvre in his SUV? Likely not -- even if the vehicle was day-glo yellow it'd likely go un-noticed to a monster-truck driver. I drive a moderately small car -- a Nissan 240SX -- and am utterly convinced that many drivers of monster-trucks and SUVs just don't see my car; needless to say, this is rather disturbing.
The above having been said, I think that this is a fabulous design; it's big enough to carry the groceries back from the store and would work exceptionally well in tight urban surroundings -- possibly only needing to light off its internal-combustion engine on occasion. I think this may represent a win. I hope they pull it off!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

vw has also announced that they are introducing a single-person model in a couple of years that can get 200+ mpg, and has a rollcage construction similar in function to the smartcar fortwo passenger compartment.

there is also a VERY high dollar-sign competition for the first production vehicle to break the 100mpg barrier.

that's why so many little guys like aptera are trying like hell to be able to start a production line. the rumors i've heard say the gold ring is worth $100m. if true, this would take any small guy company into being a major contender.

this is sounding a lot like the air-car craze that produced the likes of the moller skycar. a lot of little guys all trying to produce something that the big companies cant/wont create.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

OK----

The X-Prize for this is $10,000,000.00 and you can
'Read All About It' at the following link....

http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/

and find out about all of the X-Prizes at...

http://www.xprize.org/

Just in case anyone has any ideas to put forth for the competition.

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX

Carl--Aptera ( Greek for "wingless flight" ) has tested the vehicle,
and the question,

"What happens when an 18-wheeler passes the Aptera?"

The aerodynamic shape allows air to slip seamlessly over the vehicle body,
such that there is no effect when a large vehicle passes by.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote:Carl--Aptera ( Greek for "wingless flight" ) has tested the vehicle, and the question,
Aptera wrote:"What happens when an 18-wheeler passes the Aptera?"

The aerodynamic shape allows air to slip seamlessly over the vehicle body, such that there is no effect when a large vehicle passes by.
My concern has nothing to do with aerodynamics -- it has everything to do with physical impact. What happens when the monster-truck driver next to you decides to change into your lane and can't be bothered to see you?

Aerodynamical problems can be solved by good design and mitigated by driver awareness; collision problems lie in the realm of forensic analysis and the legal system, and by then it's too late for the driver of the little car.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I have one word for the Aptera....."cute"....I DO think it would be the loser in a head on collision with a Harley Pan Head. Of course a Harley uses more gas. I get a kick out of "seating for two" two what, young elastic Kung Fu trained rubber jointed Asians? They "might" get one and a half average caucasians in there, I doubt more. Lots of luggage space too, for at least ONE fannypack. Could probably stick a spare tire on the roof if it didn't cut down on mpg. :hide: my :hide: smilie fits this subject...that Aptera "might" :hide: in the tools closet and cut down on the need for a garage. hehehe Now, if we could get it to run on pure corn cobs and cut out the need for "any" gas..........mebbe they could fit 2 smooth lycra clad catsuited Pythos's in there...mebbe.. :hooray:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The Aptera type 1e is totally electric. The type 1h will
be the hybrid version. The videos show 2 full size adults
in the 'cabin' whooshing around on the roads. It gets a
full charge in 2-4 hours. The videos also show how one
gets into the vehicle. You just sit down, and turn in the
seat, placing your legs on the floor. For heat and A/C,
it uses a heat pump, powered by the solar cell pannel
on the roof. It keeps the vehicle cool, even when you're
not in it. A great commuter car, or around town shopping.

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I'd be careful not to equate size with strength. I'd rather be in a Smart Car (under 9 feet long) than in a Ford pickup truck. The former has a very rigid cell - it's easier to make small things more rigid - and good crumple zones. The latter has a primitive chassis.

I take the point about bring flattened by big fat trucks, SUVS (same thing really) and the like, but the reality is that this doesnt happen that much compared to other causes of accidents. Furthermore, lithe agile cars have great active safety (as well as passive safety) - they can avoid many accidents by virtue of their superior braking and maneuverability.

Frankly, if there were that many accidents with monster trucks, I'd want to see them banned for being a danger to other road users. I'm not sure there are.

I don't think the makers envisioned this car being used in brutal winter conditions; if you have bad snow problems, a Subaru Impreza or the like should do the job nicely. If you have REALLY BAD snow problems, it's probably time to consider (a) moving to a more temperate climate :mrgreen: or (b) buying a John Deere. Or a Sno-Kat!
Gus

Post by Gus »

All it it needs is bolt on wings - looks like they've got the whole fuselage design figured already.
That would be something - and prettier than a moller. Of course that would be the end of that amazing fuel economy... :roll:
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been set up a statue in honor of a critic."
-Jean Sibelius
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'd be careful not to equate size with strength. I'd rather be in a Smart Car (under 9 feet long) than in a Ford pickup truck. The former has a very rigid cell - it's easier to make small things more rigid - and good crumple zones. The latter has a primitive chassis.
I don't equate the two at all, but simple physics dictates that a very lightweight vehicle will fare poorer in a lopsided crash with a larger vehicle -- even if the passengers are fine. I noted the proposed cost of the machine was in the upper 20k to lower 30k range -- that 's a lot of coin for something that's going to be pretty fragile when it comes to the knocks that US driving styles are likely to inflict. Even with all the passengers walking away from a sideswipe by a Hummer the tiny hybrid is likely to be a total loss.
I take the point about bring flattened by big fat trucks, SUVS (same thing really) and the like, but the reality is that this doesnt happen that much compared to other causes of accidents. Furthermore, lithe agile cars have great active safety (as well as passive safety) - they can avoid many accidents by virtue of their superior braking and maneuverability.
One of the most vexing things about "driving culture" here in the US seems to be that it's becoming normal, and worse -- accepted -- to be "distracted" whilst driving. I've seen folks doing all manner of things whilst driving that they had no conceiveable business doing when they should have been paying attention to the road. Drinking one's morning coffee is positively nothing -- I've seen drivers shaving, putting on mascara, reading the morning paper, and that's not even bothering to bring up the all-too-ubiquitous cell' 'phone! This can be a lethal business; one would hope that folks would at least pay attention whilst engaging in it.
Frankly, if there were that many accidents with monster trucks, I'd want to see them banned for being a danger to other road users. I'm not sure there are.
It may not be being tracked, but from personal observation I get very nervous around SUVs with distracted drivers at the wheel.
I don't think the makers envisioned this car being used in brutal winter conditions; if you have bad snow problems, a Subaru Impreza or the like should do the job nicely. If you have REALLY BAD snow problems, it's probably time to consider (a) moving to a more temperate climate :mrgreen: or (b) buying a John Deere. Or a Sno-Kat!
To bring in a name from another world, that's known as the "Dave McGuire response" -- "Nuts, the computer room is full again. Time to move!". :D One afternoon early last December things here got so bad I had to abandon my normal 45 minute commute after five hours and nip into a hotel about halfway home -- and had to fight with the car and the traffic all that time. Details are posted under another thread, and I still appreciate the good thoughts and wishes that were being "beamed at me" by the good folks here.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Of course, when someone sees you driving one of these, they'll probably be expecting you to be wearing a skirt when you get out. :lol: But that's fine with me...anything to get this planet off oil. Now if they can make an eighteen-wheeler model that will haul 20 tons of freight.

sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

DEleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

The TDI can be easily modified to run on bio-diesel or even straight vegetable oil. I know people who make their own fuel by de-watering and cleaning up used cooking oil from restaurants. Not a complicated process once you understand it- which I don't fully so don't ask me for details. It requires "washing" the oil and some methanol to get the water out; that's about all I can tell you, but the details are available on various websites. Veg oil is a much cleaner fuel than petroleum diesel. Plus, you are nearly carbon neutral using it.

I'd like to find an old diesel VW Rabbit to modify. They got well over 40 mpg highway.

sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia