Terrible Winter

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Terrible Winter

Post by Kilted_John »

There are also different types of snow. The stuff we get in the Pacific NW is a very slushy wet snow. The stuff found in the midwest and in the rocky mountains, etc, is a dry powder. Very easy to drive in compared to the stuff we get. Those on the eastern seaboard frequently get the same stuff that we do, but get it more often, so they have better practice with driving around in it.

They also aren't afraid to use salt on the roads, whereas Portland was terrified of the stuff, as was Seattle 9 years prior. In other words, Portland didn't learn from Seattle's mistakes and repeated things almost exactly, except for the plastic-tipped snowplow blades that Seattle used in 2008, and, therefore having two tourist buses almost land on I-5 after breaking through a guardrail, due to the ice that had been packed on the roads. In 2009, Seattle started using salt and also switched back to metal-tipped blades. The interesting thing was that other cities and WSDOT had no problems with ice and snow in 2008, unlike Seattle. They were willing to use salt and other deicers on the roads.

A couple weeks ago, when the Seattle area got their snow event, I decided to apply some salt to our driveway after the issues we had in January (including my torquing my knee when I slid on a patch of ice while walking out toward one of our cars). Shoveling the drive was very easy, compared to how it was the previous month. Stuff came right off.

But, that said, I'd rather not see it in the lowlands anymore. I'm only 41, but I do have arthritis. Cold and wet is not good for my joints.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Winter here has taken a turn for the worse!

The temperatures the past several days has been in the upper 60's
and trees are starting to bud. Worse, the apple trees may loose their
buds and destroy this year's apple crop.

Today, we are supposed to have the highest temperature ever recorded
in February for Wisconsin (68 degrees F.)

Not good! Not good at all - ski resorts are loosing all their snow cover
and we are in serious trouble for agriculture.

Global warming? Sounds like it to me and it is not good news at all.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I admit a few concerns about this unseasonably warm winter. As much as I am enjoying it, I do expect some serious agricultural problems this year, perhaps some food shortages. Adequate snow cover is important for the local ecosystem here as well as recharging the aquifer. I have seen milder winters in years past (never THIS mild), and it seems they were always followed by severe water shortages later in the summer as local reservoirs would drop dangerously low.

I remember one story many years ago where one towns water supply dropped to nothing and a 6 inch temporary water line draped across the country side feeding the reservoir from a neighboring community. That was back when I lived in Bedford County, and stories of wells drying up dominated local news.

I addition, we have a new threat to contend with, one that will certainly be VERY bad this summer due to the unseasonably warm winter we've had... those damn Asian stink bugs! I expect we'll be completely infested with them this summer and fall. What might save us there is if the bugs can get a good mating in now, then we'll have a good hard freeze in March to kill them off, of course that would also kill everything else that's blossomed too.

I also expect a bad year of mosquitoes and gnats.

A little lyric from a song popular when I was a teenager comes to mind today:

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now, wait till you get older
But the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture
The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire, how about yours?
That's the way I like it and I never get bored
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Today was a tad cooler than yesterday - about 42 for a high rather than 68.
42 is still way above normal for us, but there is cold returning and a chance
of 2 to 6 inches of fresh snow by Saturday.

I did take advantage of the warmth and cleaned up the yard from broken
limbs, downed pine needles and pine cones. It is the first time that I raked
my yard in February! I backed all the debris and set it out and behold - the
city crews who were removing trees near power lines picked it up and took
it away for me. Believe me - this is a series of firsts for me living in Wisconsin.

There will be damage to many tree buds as they were starting to break open,
and I fear that many farmers will see large declines in their harvests.

On the positive side - the winter heating costs will be lower than usual and I
won't complain about that.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

We woke up to about a quarter inch of frozen rain/sleet this morning.
I applied about 20 lbs. of icemelt to the sidewalk, more rain, sleet, and
snow expected later today.

This is a little more like winter, but I do hate ice.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Today in Massachusetts it's flirting with 70 (F, obviously) which is anomalously warm for February. Traditionally, I don't let my guard down until late April, but I'll certainly not pass up nice days like this.

The problem is that the buds are going to come out soon if it doesn't cool back off, and some very confused wildlife is starting to stagger from burrows and whatnot only to wind up as road-kill. :(
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

We have had a lot of road kill here as well -
skunks and possums are (were?) out and
about rather groggy and now other animals
who feed on road kill are getting hit themselves.

Fortunately - the weather cooled off enough
to give us 2 inches of snow cover. It will slow
down the buds and animals, but who knows
how much damage was done by the warmth.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It is 23 degrees currently, cold and dry, and we've combined with the a blustery March wind, sustained at 10-20MPH, gusting at 40MPH.

I cussed my way across every parking lot I visited today.

We need it though, need to set Nature back in line, too many plants were budding, this cold snap should put things back to normal.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Today I visited my eldest bro.+ wifie in Howth, an isthmus suburb of Dublin-by-the-Sea. Apart from the Daffs everywhere gracing the central reserve of the roads, the early blossom trees were out in force and my car recorded 16,5 deg. Centipede. Wall-to-wall Sun and Lunch + Vinho Verde out on their terrace overlooking the Baily Lighthouse.

Best Spring day yet, but rain forecast for St Patrick's Day here, so our parades will be soggy affairs, alas. I'm amused at the Met Eireann weather outlook for next week....'Mixed' !!, which means plenty of wind & rain, but sunny intervals, too. Best not to blink, or you'll miss those..... :cheese:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yesterday was warm enough to be out and about in just long shorts and a T-shirt. It was my day off and MOH was with me which is why no skirt. The daffs are well out in force and look gorgeous. York has daffs everywhere - bar walls, road verges, village greens - everywhere.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The state of the art road de-icing is now treating the surface with a liquid brine several hours in advance of the anticipated precipitation.
Uses less chemicals and it becomes activated with the first few flakes of snow falling and then picked up and tracked by all the vehicle traffic spreading
it further and further down the road - When the weather is anticipated to freeze then all that is necessary is to spread sand on top for traction.
Yet there will be those that make a circus out of driving in conditions not fit human adventure.

But in any event it is tragic to have the stuff washed into the rivers and streams damaging the environment to no end.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !