Symbols of power!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
aavisual

Re: Symbols of power!

Post by aavisual »

It might appear as though the tables have turned and the women have taken the seat of power in most homes, I blame that on the evolution of feminism, not on an article of clothing. I actually feel empowered in a skirt, able to go further than where most common men draw the line out of fear of humiliation from anticipated perceptions of others. It takes sheer bravery to dress beyond the norm, this equates to power. Any intelligent person male or female could clearly see this hurdle is behind the man brave enough to break from the herd mentality and celebrate his own individuality choices in spite of social pressures. My experience is that many skirt wearing men are highly intelligent, brave, over-achievers, and people of authority.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I'm not sure empowerment of women takes anything away from men. In the right situation, a certain degree of independence for both partners can be liberating for both.

I agree that wearing a skirt in public requires a good dose of independence and self-confidence, and those can be quite satisfying.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:I'm not sure empowerment of women takes anything away from men. In the right situation, a certain degree of independence for both partners can be liberating for both.
In an ideal world, that'd be the case. Unfortunately, it's more often played as a zero-sum game and that which the woman takes the man loses.

During the years I was attached, both of us observed very large degrees of freedom all the while remaining faithful and committed to one another. She wasn't going to give any of that up, either, as when we met she socially "ranked" me by pulling down a fatter paycheck and having considerable corporate rank (well deserved, mind), and I wasn't about to ask her to for to do so would have been entirely silly and pointless. Recall that I find competence an aphrodisiac. It was a damned good run, but like most good things it came to an end..
I agree that wearing a skirt in public requires a good dose of independence and self-confidence, and those can be quite satisfying.
That's not quite axiomatic, but close. To be sure, defying a social norm whilst remaining functional in society take chutzpah, and a fair dose of it -- and some women find that very attractive in a guy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:
Caultron wrote:I'm not sure empowerment of women takes anything away from men. In the right situation, a certain degree of independence for both partners can be liberating for both.
In an ideal world, that'd be the case. Unfortunately, it's more often played as a zero-sum game and that which the woman takes the man loses.
The right situation, a perfect world, whatever. Nobody ever gets there but there's nobility in trying.
crfriend wrote:
Caultron wrote:I agree that wearing a skirt in public requires a good dose of independence and self-confidence, and those can be quite satisfying.
That's not quite axiomatic, but close. To be sure, defying a social norm whilst remaining functional in society take chutzpah, and a fair dose of it -- and some women find that very attractive in a guy.
And you. (not quite axiomatic, but close.)
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

No less an authority on equality than Martin Luther King said, "No one is free until everyone is free."

I have found, as I think most of us have found, that to be true in my own life. We had to reject the confines of the male stereotype to put on our first skirt, no matter what it was made of. In doing so we compromised our superior social position, but we gained a personal sense of freedom. Clearly, conforming to the social norms, including the male stereotype and the presumed social superiority had oppressed us as surely as it had women.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In terms of symbolism, I would say that robes have been a partial exception. But robes have generally been associated with religious orders.

And kilts are a special case.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:[... R]obes have generally been associated with religious orders.
Or judges.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

And academics and monarchs.

Interestingly, the French word for dress is "robe" and the modern iteration of a monarch's robe is more of a cloak to show off a male monarch's pants.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

...or choirs.

Take care all and have a good day!
Bill and Sir Brinkley the exuberant!
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote: To be sure, defying a social norm whilst remaining functional in society take chutzpah, and a fair dose of it -- and some women find that very attractive in a guy.
I still find it amazing that I had the nerve to do this, particularly that first day at work. My current level of comfort has definitely given me an extra appeal I didn't have before with the ladies. It's not one sided of course, some are turned off by it, even so, as you have said before I think, good bozo filter.

It may be that this year I find out how far that appeal goes, My current relationship is.....under review, shall we say? Not much to do with skirt wearing, except on the edges. I hope it can be worked out, but I may have to call time in an amicable way before it all goes kablooie. As someone who found a relationship very late in life, I am finding it will be surprisingly difficult to be without.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I recall comments to kilting forums...regarding the reactions of women to kilted men-they either love it, or hate it. It seems that some women appreciate the (perceived) chutzpah. On the other hand, some women-including some wives-can't accept a man in one pipe, feel threatened by it, and don't want to be seen in public with such a man.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Grok wrote:I recall comments to kilting forums...regarding the reactions of women to kilted men-they either love it, or hate it. It seems that some women appreciate the (perceived) chutzpah. On the other hand, some women-including some wives-can't accept a man in one pipe, feel threatened by it, and don't want to be seen in public with such a man.
I do wonder how many wives object to THEIR man wearing a skirt but are completely fine with other men wearing a skirt!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I do wonder how many wives object to THEIR man wearing a skirt but are completely fine with other men wearing a skirt!
My wife was one of those and still is somewhat. She doesn't want to be seen with me if I'm wearing anything "too feminine ".
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH discussed my wearing a skirt and men in general wearing skirts with my daughter and the wives of my sons. They weren't exactly comfortable with me in a skirt and wouldn't condemn me BUT they all said, basically, that they are not against men wearing skirts but they would be horrified if THEIR man was to try and wear one. See what I am up against. Hypocrites. :!:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote: they all said, basically, that they are not against men wearing skirts but they would be horrified if THEIR man was to try and wear one. :!:
Going from the theoretical to the personal, and when you get to personal it becomes an emotional argument.