Hello!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Comments

Post by Since1982 »

I've never had a comment about my kilts, one way or the other. Mainly because I don't wear kilts, only skirts/sarongs/sulus/tupenas. Now you may have noticed my name Fraser, which is Scottish. It's also a highland clan name. I simply don't like loose open skirts and kilts fit in that category in my mind. :) 99% of all comments I've had in the year and a half I've been skirting publically have been very positive. In fact I've only had ONE negative comment and that was from a very old man who "probably" didn't even realize what he said could be construed as an insult. He looked at me, looked at my denim skirt, looked again at me, decided I was a guy, and said, "What's the matter with you, why the hell are you wearing a skirt, go get some pants on"...To which I replied, I'm sorry Sir, I don't OWN any pants so I guess I'll either have to continue wearing what I am or go naked. He walked away shaking his head in disbelief. LOL
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Since1982 wrote:I've never had a comment about my kilts, one way or the other. Mainly because I don't wear kilts, only skirts/sarongs/sulus/tupenas. Now you may have noticed my name Fraser, which is Scottish. It's also a highland clan name. I simply don't like loose open skirts and kilts fit in that category in my mind.
Skip, Your surname, like mine, although of good sound Celtic origin, actually hails from Normandy in, err, dare I say it, ........... France! :duck: I would have thought you would have taken to (traditional) Kilts, as I can vouch for the fact that the high 'waist' (with its layers of fabric) is jolly useful in supporting the lower back! :old:
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Hey Skip! I really think that you need to add a Kilt to that collection of yours!:)
nitrox

Post by nitrox »

I was walking around Seattle today at about noonish time and walked from Broadway (GSB section) and then down to the financial/shopping district where I went in a few stores and bought shirts. I then went into Old Navy and looked at their skirts. I was almost ready to buy one when I realised that I was going to be late for practice if I didn't leave right then.

But as I was in Old Navy I asked this woman working there where the trousers were and she said there were some upstairs (men's dept.) and I told her that I was looking for a lighter version of the men's and then she told me that they were going to get some in 2 weeks. (if anyone needs them, wait 2 weeks!)

Then I told her it seems very liberal and open here then she said "yeh, it's very liberal in Seattle" and then after afew more bits of conversation she told me that I could go for an intreview in jeans and probably get the job. So I was happy with that, and when I get a more perm. place to stay; then I"ll be looking around and at this nice miniskirt that I found.
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Got my first "Nice skirt" jibe from a lad passing me yesterday....Of course, he was with 2 of his friends at the time.....Ah, bless his single cell, tunnel-visioned mind!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

wintermute wrote:Got my first "Nice skirt" jibe from a lad passing me yesterday....Of course, he was with 2 of his friends at the time.....Ah, bless his single cell, tunnel-visioned mind!
I had some spotty schoolkid tell me "You're wearing a skirt", hoping to embarrass me. I just said "That's right" and walked on. If you admit to what they're trying to accuse you of, it takes the wind out of their sails and they lose interest.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

wintermute wrote:Got my first "Nice skirt" jibe from a lad passing me yesterday....Of course, he was with 2 of his friends at the time.....Ah, bless his single cell, tunnel-visioned mind!
I'm not in a position to judge how this situation might have turned out, but this isn't the first time someone has posted a description of a situation that sounded mildly hostile.

I would like to suggest that sometimes we can turn a negative or even hostile situation around by how we respond to it. People often respond to us in whatever way our own behavior seems to expect.

For instance, what if you just take such comments at face value, and just say, "thank you!"?

If the intent was hostile, you don't give him the satisfaction of being put off your stride.

On the other hand, the response might have just been an unthinking response to anything he didn't otherwise know how to respond to; in that case, a friendly response might call forth an equally unthinking friendly response, the way sticking out your hand elicits the "shake hands" behavior pattern.

And, finally, it's possible he didn't mean anything unfriendly at all. Maybe he and his friends were just at a loss as to what to say to someone who was doing something so far beyond anything they could imagine.

I remember reading about how people often don't know what to do in emotionally complicated situations -- such as when a friend has a miscarriage -- and end up acting distant or unfeeling, when they don't intend that at all. It's just the anxiety, the not knowing what to do.

I think the principle may apply when people see a man looking like a man but wearing a skirt. Instead of "what do you say to a naked lady" (anyone remember that movie?), it's "what do you say to a man-in-a-skirt"?

In that case, especially if it's their first time seeing a man in a skirt, it would help our Cause(TM) to give a good impression, so they go a way thinking, "yeah, it's a little different that he's in a skirt, but he seems like a regular guy," and not "I can't stand guys in skirts -- they're so hostile."

-- AMM
Thanks for all the fish.
hiker

Post by hiker »

I always think the right response to "nice skirt" is thanks. Any other response seems defensive (eg. I'm ashamed or at least embarassed).
crfriend
Master Barista

Nice sirt!

Post by crfriend »

hiker wrote:I always think the right response to "nice skirt" is thanks. Any other response seems defensive (eg. I'm ashamed or at least embarassed).
Well, I think this is best approached by trying to judge the commentator's tone of voice. On the screen, "Nice skirt!" sounds like a fair compliment and, accordingly, would deserve a pleasant, "Thank you". But, if the comment is delivered with a sneer, or otherwise with derision clearly intended, then one is within one's rights to make a nasty comment in reply.

The above having been said, usually a polite, but clearly firm, "Thanks" is frequently enough to knock any potential aggressor off his game. For the genuine compliment, a warmly-delivered mention of thanks is warranted and will frequently lead to conversation. The points of the two, even if using the same words, varies according to need and interest in the party making the comment.

I've had only one "incident" where the comment was intended in a derisive manner, and that was the one where one bloke in a party of similarly-minded individuals straight-out asked why I was wearing a skirt. I, to this day, don't know if he was looking for a fight, but I came back with, "It's comfortable. You should try one sometime."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Wow! That last post of mine certainly got a response! You've posted some good thoughts there, guys! :clap:
I have been pretty much wearing my kilt out on a daily basis within the last week...The more I have done so, the less I have actually thought about it & the more comfortable I am with it on a whole - People out there are just going to have to deal with it! (Again, any of you out there waiting for the moment to take the plunge and get kilted for the first outing....As NIKE say: "Just Do It!" Once you settle into it, you'll be fine!)
I took a lady friend out for a meal last night (kilted, naturally!) and yes, I was greeted with glances and smiles; On the whole very positive too!
As we left the pub at closing time, there was a group of 6 sat by the exit who went very quiet as we walked by, but that didn't bother me at all....I like to think of that as a moment of silent respect!!:cool:
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

I forgot to add that that venture out was to the lovely area of Beaconsfield....Nice place if you can afford to live there.....Hence very little in the way of hassle!!

Just returned from a visit to an event in Earls Court......Some very positive responses from a couple of ladies who actually came upto me & commented on how nice the kilt was:cheer: :clap: :ninjajig: :)

That really made my day! What didn't make my day was returning home on the tube amid the "distressed" football fans once the news broke we lost........That was pretty much a signal for trouble to kick off....Thankfully, I only got a bit of verbal from a few lads. When will people start to grow up?:confused:
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

AMM wrote:"what do you say to a man-in-a-skirt"?
"Yum!" :whistle:

Quiet Mouse