Life's too short

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Topsy

Life's too short

Post by Topsy »

I was sat on a boat this evening returning from work with three of my colleagues, two female (one I've known for 15 years, the other I barely know) and one male (known for over 15 years).

I recounted to them the happenings on Tuesday morning (see thread One Small Step). None had heard about it via the grapevine but the ladies were supportive.

The highlight comment was by the other male - 'Life is too short'. He was implying that I shouldn't waste my time trying to get male rights sorted out.

Of course, I have to use the same comment another way - life is too short to play by other people's rules all the time. If I have a valid point to make - make it.
Topsy

Mostly Harmless
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Topsy wrote:life is too short to play by other people's rules all the time. If I have a valid point to make - make it.
There it is, in its essence.

I found it interesting that your women colleagues found your argument compelling but your male one did not -- quite interesting indeed. Did you challenge him on the matter? (By "challenge"I did not mean in an hostile way, but rather one of polite questioning.)

As I mentioned before -- persevere. If you have backing that is willing to see you through to the end, then all the better. After all, you are "fighting the good fight".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
bcmtnbka

Post by bcmtnbka »

Life is definitely too short for not wearing kilts!!!
Raphael

Chinese Blood, Kilted Heart, One United!

Join my Yahoo Kilts Night Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KiltsNight/

My Photo ALbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fangfamily

My Blog: http://xingtheline.blogspot.com/
The Satirist

Post by The Satirist »

Topsy wrote:...life is too short to play by other people's rules all the time...
Life is too short, and in most cases, when it's over, you'll regret more what you did not do, than what you did. As my signature on IMFF says, ..."live it like you mean it".
Freedom since July 3, 2004.

Genius can be recreated - Stupidity is irreplaceable. -The Satirist 2004-
me012247

Life is too short

Post by me012247 »

oohh yes, I agree on that one 100% when it comes to follow other peoples rules.
I decided for myself not to follow anybody's rules anymore. Like some others here I started to experiment with other female things, which I like to see on myself w/o trying to be female or look like a female. I just want to be myself. :ninjajig: :cheer:
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It is Snowing Down South[/FONT] :ninjajig: :cheer:
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

me012247 wrote:Like some others here I started to experiment with other female things, which I like to see on myself w/o trying to be female or look like a female. I just want to be myself. :ninjajig: :cheer:
Same here. The trick, and the challenge (which makes it interesting) is to adapt the female thing without looking like a female. I see nothing wrong in taking something that is in daily use by the women and adapting it for my own use.

For example, I bought a bag with a shoulder strap the other day. Some would call it a handbag. It's not at all 'girly' and is proving to be extremely useful to carry all the junk I like to cart around, even including the hand-me-down mobile phone from one of my children :D

Sometime I wear nylon knee-highs because they are more comfortable than socks. Knee-highs are not labelled as gender-specific i.e. there is no picture of a woman wearing them, but happen to be in with the tights and stockings which are perceived as being for women only (except we know better ;) ).

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

My opinion is that life is too short.

that's all.. no caveats or riders.. it's just TOO SHORT and that's all!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
jcal6067

Post by jcal6067 »

Life indeed is way too short and that is why we are here giving support to those of us with like interest. I, like a number of members here, have gone through many changes in the progression of wearing a skirt or kilt. And as Charlie said about items in differant departments, the tights etc, some items really do need to be labled as unisex. The bag or like organizer that is found through out Europe with differant compartments for differant currancey and passport etc, are carried by both male and female persons and in Europe nobody thinks a thing of it when a male is carring such a bag. However when you put the two together (bag, skirt) it has a strong tendicy of appearing fem. Just as wearing a skirt and tights or skirt and heels, so really the more we can get items into the unisex catagory the better. Of course females don't care what catagory an item is in if they want to wear it they will under the title of Fashion.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

iain

Post by Since1982 »

I'm sure a Redwood or Sequoia tree thinks the same thing. I once saw a parable that fits here.

An ant, who lives 6 days thinks an Anteater is immortal, an Anteater, who lives 6 years thinks a Rhino is immortal, a Rhino who lives 30 years thinks an Elephant is immortal, an Elephant who lives 50 years thinks a human is immortal, a human who averages 70 years, thinks the mountains are immortal.....They are all wrong.:think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

"The bag or like organizer that is found through out Europe with differant compartments for differant currancey and passport etc, are carried by both male and female persons and in Europe nobody thinks a thing of it when a male is carring such a bag."

I think that's were I need to live.
Lar
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Bravehearts.us wrote: I think that's were I need to live.
Lar
I often think the same thing.