wearing slips.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
johnny

wearing slips.

Post by johnny »

I have been wearing kilts every day now for 5 years, except when going to see my doc, when I put on pants. I therefore wear a kilt even when its blowing high wind. I am interested in the anwsers given, that to stop you showing too much when your kilt/skirt blows up, you should wear a slip. If the wind blows up a kilt/skirt, then howcome it does not blow up the slip, which is usually made of a lighter material. johnny
johnny
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

johnny wrote:I have been wearing kilts every day now for 5 years, except when going to see my doc, when I put on pants. I therefore wear a kilt even when its blowing high wind. I am interested in the anwsers given, that to stop you showing too much when your kilt/skirt blows up, you should wear a slip. If the wind blows up a kilt/skirt, then howcome it does not blow up the slip, which is usually made of a lighter material. johnny
Whilst slips tend to be of a lighter fabric than the garments worn over them, they're also usually a bit tighter-fitting. The tightness of the cut is what keeps them from blowing up. At least that's the way it seems to work with me....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
G.Shaw

Post by G.Shaw »

I think a slip is actually made of just enough material to give a reasonable amount of freedom of movement. They do not have enough material for the wind to pick up one side or another, fill the skirt and blow it up or move it in a revealing manner in any way. The Kilt and many skirts however have extra fabric that if you spread it out would make a perfect ring around the waist at waist level. I prefer the skirt that has more fabric for a number of reasons but when it's windy there has to be a slip or else you have a flashing incident.

Greg
sterlin6

Post by sterlin6 »

johnny wrote:I have been wearing kilts every day now for 5 years, except when going to see my doc, when I put on pants. I therefore wear a kilt even when its blowing high wind. I am interested in the anwsers given, that to stop you showing too much when your kilt/skirt blows up, you should wear a slip. If the wind blows up a kilt/skirt, then howcome it does not blow up the slip, which is usually made of a lighter material. johnny
Johnny...I wear my kilts as often as possible too and strangely I was planning a trip to Gretna next week to have alook at the shopping place there because I think they stock a lot of kilt related stuff. Is that right?

I also experience the wind blowing the kilt up but thats just the way its always been. Do you wear something underneath? If so your not exposing yourself and in my experience in Scotland here nobody cares if they see a pair of navy knickers. If you go without then its a different story. Ive done both but as per other posts here tend to play safe and hav the peace of mind with my preferred underwear. I think where the pleat opens is crucial as if its just at the bottom of your hips it gives a good swing but if the kilt does blow up then its only going to that height. I quite like the feeling when it blows up anyway because our sporrans keep the fromt in place dont they.
johnny

wearing slips

Post by johnny »

Hi stirin6. OK on your trip to gretna next week, but the new "village outlet"
range of shops are no use for kilts etc, only to hire one for a gretna wedding.
You will need to go to gretna green, and the TARTAN SHOP. There you can buy anything from complete kilt outfits to a kilt pin. Ok on wearing slips etc and the answers given etc. I do already wear slips with my kilts, but can never understand why the slip did not blow uo too. My wife laughs when my kilt blows up in the wind, but assures me my slip does not. Thank heaven for slips!! Many thanks all. johnny
johnny
sterlin6

Post by sterlin6 »

Thanks Johnny I will make a point of going to The Tartan Shop at Gretna Green in that case.
My wife laughs too when I get caught out but then shes usually wearing trousers.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Interesting thread. I made a white cotton slip for my kilts by cutting off the lower part of an old tee-shirt below the arms and sewing it onto an old jockey y-fronts waistband. My wife is always encouraging me to start wearing it but so far I never have. I've tried it on indoors and it feels more comfortable than having the scratchy wool of a kilt rubbing my legs but somehow the idea of flashing acres of white slip when I swing round in the kilt or when the wind catches it seems to spoil the mystique of keeping people guessing what's under the kilt. My wife and I go to Gretna Gateway quite often - now that I know I wouldn't be the only man wearing a slip under a kilt in Gretna maybe I'll give it a try out.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
me012247

Wearing Slips

Post by me012247 »

cessna152towser wrote:My wife is always encouraging me to start wearing it .......
Well, same here. She said, if you wear a kilt/skirt you got to wear a slip. I thought THAT is funny, because of the lace and such, but I admit it feels good on your skin, especially under a kilt ..Now I like it :):ninjajig:
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It is Snowing Down South[/FONT] :ninjajig: :cheer:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

on the skin

Post by Since1982 »

Slips definitely feel good on the skin under rougher materials like khaki, denim or corduroy and some others I can't think of now. I have several different style slips, in white, black, beige and red. Some are straight, some wider, as I wear nearly all straight skirts, it doesn't really matter how wide the slip is, nothing can blow up no matter how windy it is. I have microfiber, nylon and cotton slips. My microfiber ones are short to wear with skirts that have vents or slits in the back and therefore can't be seen at the vent. On skirts I have that have no vent the slips all come to within a couple of inches of the skirt hem. :):dance: :whiteflag
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/