Men wearing skirts and religion?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
talon2mech

Post by talon2mech »

Stu wrote:And Buddhism!
Buddha taught his followers to wear 2 sheets of cloth. This was done for simplicity and a detachment from worldly wants and desires. A simple robe does not denote status.

I am a bad Buddhist because I chase my desire to wear skirts.
-Matt
crfriend
Master Barista

Blimey! Again today.

Post by crfriend »

OK, I have to do something, 'cause it looks like I'm confusing the locals.

I stopped in today at the local liquor store to pick up some beer and had a (really rather pleasant) woman ask if I was Amish. Well, I'm not. Yes, Amish menfolk wear dark clothes and have beards, but your typical Amish bloke doesn't have waist-length hair, nor does he wear a skirt! Amish women wear long dark skirts, sometimes have long hair (usually covered by a bonnet so you can't tell), but don't typically have beards. Where did I goof up in life????? :)

I think I need to do something about the beard.... That or dress in brighter colours (which has its own problems).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

More color

Post by Since1982 »

Definitely more colorful clothes. Just being a man does not require dull, dark, somber or boring colored clothes. Unless of course, you aspire to lemminglooking. The red vest over a white shirt, with maybe a tiger striped batik skirt like the one I made for myself a few days ago would definitely never again get you a "Are you Amish?" question. To show off my (as I lose weight) new sense of colorful fashion for myself nearly ankle length broom type tiger striped batik skirt I'll be taking a fresh picture of me with my longer hair and smaller (54 in. instead of the 66 in. I had 4 months ago) waist tomorrow.:):cool: By the way, that batik print material with full color on both sides was picked up on ebay for $3.94 and it's 60 in. wide and 8 yards long. Lots of various shaped tiger striped skirts in my future. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Men in Black

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:Definitely more colorful clothes. Just being a man does not require dull, dark, somber or boring colored clothes. Unless of course, you aspire to lemminglooking.
I've worn mostly black since my previous gig as a computer field engneer as one of the things I was expected to work on were electrostatic plotters. Think a three-gallon bath of liquid ink (kerosene based) with pumps, fountains, and altogether too any places to get the "stuff" all over you. Black camouflages the inevitible splatter. I'm also a bit of a slob, and dark clothes hide spills, slobbers, and the like....

That said, some of my best comments and complments have come when I've worn my cranberry-coloured skirt with a light shirt and my red vest.... Maybe I'll play with colour some more.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

crfriend wrote:I stopped in today at the local liquor store to pick up some beer and had a (really rather pleasant) woman ask if I was Amish. Well, I'm not. Yes, Amish menfolk wear dark clothes and have beards, but your typical Amish bloke doesn't have waist-length hair, nor does he wear a skirt! Amish women wear long dark skirts, sometimes have long hair (usually covered by a bonnet so you can't tell), but don't typically have beards. Where did I goof up in life????? :)
So they think you are an Amish cross dresser? :p I guess they really aren't thinking. Natural edged beards tend to be scarce and I guess most people chalk them up to religion or bikers and your clothes don't say biker to most people. It is probably just as much the clothing though, when I wear long simple dresses, no jewelry, and my hair in a bun (or loose with untrimmed ends visible) I get the religion question too. Popular culture doesn't seem to do 'modest' styles.

Quiet Mouse
Mary Jane Boy

Amish cross dressers

Post by Mary Jane Boy »

More than one was confused by my poodle skirt and red & white saddle shoes last fall!
Mary Jane Boy

http://www.mary-janeshoes.com

"Mary Jane's - not just for girls anymore!"
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Poodle skirt

Post by Since1982 »

Nice poodle skirt, MJB, but you remember when you were lots younger and lots of girls wore those (in the 50's) and a Poodle skirt just doesn't look right without at least one fluffy petticoat under it to give it fullness. That one's hanging between your legs and the poodle can hardly be seen. With a petticoat the poodle would be barking at the world and be easily seen. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/