Fashion freedom, through my wife's eyes

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

skirts4me wrote:[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]This is a classic case of letting a bad experience from her past dictate how she feels and reacts now, and will do in the future. Not much opportunity there for an enjoyable life ahead.[/FONT]
actually, this isn't the case at all--amazing how someone can judge a person they never met. she's one of the happiest people I know--she just doesn't like skirts, which shows that it's not a gender thing, it's a personality thing.

i think good and bad experiences from our past are how we all shape our personalities.. otherwise, we'd all be putting our hands into flames and running in front of cars throughout our lives. this girl is actually a wonderful friend of mine and has always supported me. so i do the same now.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
sterlin6

Post by sterlin6 »

iain wrote:actually, this isn't the case at all--amazing how someone can judge a person they never met. she's one of the happiest people I know--she just doesn't like skirts, which shows that it's not a gender thing, it's a personality thing.

i think good and bad experiences from our past are how we all shape our personalities.. otherwise, we'd all be putting our hands into flames and running in front of cars throughout our lives. this girl is actually a wonderful friend of mine and has always supported me. so i do the same now.
Iain.....How right you are. My own experience of why Im here ie wearing kilts as a preference started when I was 8 because the accepeted thing was that you got a kilt outfit around that age. I dont remember a lot about wearing it then but certainly in my teens( a long time ago) I do recall liking it a lot and thats where it started however some young lads were put off kilts because they were forced to wear them.
Regards...Ian

Regards...Ian
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

thanks, glad someone agrees!

here's some other comments from girls who recently gave me their opinions on the subject.. "I never wear short skirts: I don't want people in the street who I don't even know to fantasise about me."

"I don't have the legs for them and I prefer jeans."

"I know men like me to wear skirts, but they're not as practical as trousers. sometimes I envy men because their clothes are so useful."

"You want me to wear a short skirt and let everyone in the street see my legs? what if I don't want them to look at me?"

"I hate skirts, they're silly, and the wind is always blowing them, and in the winter it's cold, and in the summer you can't run or do somersaults on the trampoline like the boys can!"

(a wide range of ages there, from 8 to 33)

skirts are just not everyone's cup of tea. we men are going crazy with curiosity and we like being unique and for sure the attention is great, as well as the novelty. it feels fantastic. but a long way down the line some of us will probably end up saying much the same thing as some women do now, if feel forced to wear them when young, or forced to wear them to please someone else when we're older. some of us, though, will still be loving it! and that, my friend, is the beauty of it all!
sterlin6

Post by sterlin6 »

Thanks Iain....Yes your right also. My wife is a case in point.
When we go out socially and Im wearing my kilt she always comments on the fact that my "skirt" is shorter than hers, in fact she sometimes tells me my kilt is too short. But thats just her cautious view because like your friend she wears longer skirts mainly and sometimes trousers. My kilts are all to the top of the knee because thats the way they were tailored for me. It gives a good swing when you walk and the right feel.

I too have heard many men say the wouldnt wear a kilt under any circumstances and some men definitely dont have the legs for it. You need a decent pair of hips, legs and a kilt at the right length to carry it off.

But the overriding point is that its a matter of choice and what you are comfortable with.

As Im new here, what do you wear?

Regards...Ian
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

iain wrote:here's some other comments from girls who recently gave me their opinions on the subject.. "I never wear short skirts: I don't want people in the street who I don't even know to fantasise about me."

"I don't have the legs for them and I prefer jeans."

"I know men like me to wear skirts, but they're not as practical as trousers. sometimes I envy men because their clothes are so useful."

"You want me to wear a short skirt and let everyone in the street see my legs? what if I don't want them to look at me?"

"I hate skirts, they're silly, and the wind is always blowing them, and in the winter it's cold, and in the summer you can't run or do somersaults on the trampoline like the boys can!"
The old saw of, "Argue your limitations and, sure enough, they are yours" (usually attributed to Richard Bach) comes to mind here. It's being used as a crutch in most cases. I'll agree that crutches are sometimes handy things, but it's unwise to get too dependent on them.

For the most part, it seems, women have abandoned the skirt -- for many reasons, including the ones above and legions more. So, why are men now "discovering" skirts? I have two reasons: comfort and freedom; and I'm cherry-picking the best of both worlds instead of shunting from one to the other. I like the freedom of movement that skirts offer me; I like the comfort of not having fabric running to tightly in some places and uncomfortably loose in others (pants bought off the rack just never fit right unless one is very lucky); and boy do I enjoy the feel of a gentle breeze!

The above notwithstanding, wearing a skirt can be a royal pain in the kiester sometimes. I don't even want to contemplate how much of a hassle it would have been to change out a flat tire on my car the other day with about 6 inches of working room between the car and the travel lane if I was wearing one of my long skirts! But -- how often does that happen? Rarely (unless you drive real beaters like I used to), and I've only had to change two or three flats in the past 30 years. Worried about the skirt "lifting" in the wind? Be aware of your situation and manage your attire accordingly; it's not all that difficult (and remember that the infamous "Marilyn moment" was very deliberately staged -- to the dismay of her husband at the time). "But I'll flash when I sit down!" -- well don't act like Sharon Stone :D and learn how to sit; if you're that worried about it, your skirt is probably too short anyway, and sit with your knees together. That last one is a bit of a challenge for most blokes 'cause they've never had to (nor. increasingly have the girls), but it can be learned.
iain wrote:skirts are just not everyone's cup of tea. we men are going crazy with curiosity and we like being unique and for sure the attention is great, as well as the novelty. it feels fantastic. but a long way down the line some of us will probably end up saying much the same thing as some women do now, if feel forced to wear them when young, or forced to wear them to please someone else when we're older.
This is true, but the apparent speed with which skirt-wearing is being embraced by men and discarded by women is interesting in and of itself. One of the reasons I find skirts charming is that they're largely obsolete items of apparel. Since everybody, both males and females, wear the uniform of denim pants donning a garment from another time has a certain charm to it. I also happen to believe that the human form (both male and female) looks better in skirted garments; they're vastly more "forgiving" than tight tr*users, can run the gamut between very discreet and modest to outright racy, and can be as functional or as fanciful as the wearer's imagination.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sterlin6

Post by sterlin6 »

Crfriend.....Your point is very true. Having worn kilts on a daily basis for a while now here in Scotland Ive found that as you said ll aspects can be coped with. On a windy day wear a jacket onto the hips to stop it lifting too high. If you cant take the wind blowing a kilt up dont wear one is what I say.Its quite a thrill sometimes.
As for sitting without flashing, that too comes with practise and is now second nature to me. Thats not to say that on occasion I wont get a bit careless and let someone see my undies but its all part of the game.

Im a great advocate of wearing underpants of some kind, whatever suits you and you shouldnt worry about anyone seeing whats under your kilt. Its the first thing most women especially will home in on when you do sit down so if you dont like that side of it then wear trousers.

Just my opinion from my own point of view and experience.

Ian
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

skirts are just not everyone's cup of tea. we men are going crazy with curiosity and we like being unique and for sure the attention is great, as well as the novelty. it feels fantastic. but a long way down the line some of us will probably end up saying much the same thing as some women do now, if feel forced to wear them when young, or forced to wear them to please someone else when we're older.
Intriguing viewpoint! The "forced to wear them" attitude seems to have stemmed from the impact the "feminazis" have clearly had on womankind. No wonder women are so insecure these days! It is sad that (some) women of my acquaintance have had to justify their preference for wearing skirts in the face of 'pressure' from some voluble members of their gender. I remember my mother bowing to such bullying (for that's what it is) & purchasing an example of bifurcated clothing. Worn once, in the confines of her home, for about one hour before being consigned to the jumble sale. My wife suffered the same 'pressure', during the time we were living apart. She hates having to wear tr*users for work. After shoes, they're the next thing to remove, upon returning home. "So uncomfortable & restricting - oh, and horrible to wear when it's raining!" were her comments, only yesterday!
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

so it all boils down to: choice.

as for me, I usually wear light kilts, nothing longer than 17", hipster types. sarongs in the summer, and khaki multi pocket minis on the beach or holiday.