Guy in a Dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Saw a guy in a DRESS today! :cheer: And he was at work! :cheer: :cheer: And he told me where he got it from!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Although I'm not going to buy one myself.

I was in Leeds city centre and I called in at a tanning salon/beauticians to buy some exotic "herbal tanning moisturiser" for Mette (my wife) that we can't buy in my home. She uses it for her lilly-white legs every Spring because she is allergic to the popular, chemical-based brands. I have visited this salon before for the same purpose, and I know a young man who works in there who I found out is called Keith. He is in his early to mid-twenties and speaks in a rather effeminate way - an architypal gay young man - or perhaps he isn't but he gives that impression.

I was actually served by a girl who I haven't seen before, but Keith was talking to a female customer about "streaking" (something that is a risk with certain tanning products, I believe).

I looked hard at him. He is! No, he can't be. Yes, he IS!!! He was wearing a white dress - identical to the one the girl who was serving me was wearing!! After paying for the moisturiser, I told the girl I wanted to have a word with Keith, and I hung around until he was finished - trying to think of what I would say to him. "Are you alright, there?" he said as soon as his customer had left. Although I've spoken to him before, I doubted he would recognise me. "Yes. I'm a regular contributor to a website that aims to encourage more men to consider options other than trousers - things like kilts and skirts. I was impressed that you have now chosen to wear the same garb as the other staff here rather than sticking to the the tunic and trousers." His rather camp response was to say out loud to the girl who had served me something like, "Well at least there's somebody here who likes my frock, Claire!" At first he took my interest as a joke, but as I began talking to him he realised I was genuine and serious. He told me that it was hot in the tanning studio and the other staff wore a uniform that was "cool", so why shouldn't he? I coyly asked him where he had got it from and he said he had been given that particular garment by the manageress, but she had ordered him a couple of new ones from "Alexandra workwear, but they don't have a branch in Leeds so I should go to Alexandra.co.uk for their phone number. He wrongly assumed I wanted one for myself and told me I should phone them up and ask for "item code D333".

It was basically a white beautician's dress and he, being of small stature and slim, looked surprisingly "appropriate" in that garment. That was all he was wearing on the outside, apart from a pair of white clog-type shoes.

That's the first time in my life I have ever seen a man wearing a dress to work. Amazing!

Stu
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Frankie - not even if your employer provided it for you? BTW - I found a pic of it:

https://www.alexandra-shop.co.uk/images ... medium.jpg

Stu
Cams

Post by Cams »

On a somewhat dreary day, this has put a smile on my face. Good on him.
Have a nice Skirted Day :)
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Good luck to him. Not what I would choose to wear but it looks like a garment with a modest length and no frilly bits, so wouldn't look too fem for menswear.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

That's just great!
I really like dresses of the 'sheath' and 'jumper' variety.
Lot's of room, basically just a tube of fabric much like the dress pictured above but with more leg room.

Nice story... Thanks!
WSmac
Tripp49

Dress!!!!!!!!!

Post by Tripp49 »

:cheer: I love it, I wish I had a job where I could wear one. I would love to be able to wear a dress like that or a jumper all the time.:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Tripp49
Tripp49
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Stu

Post by Since1982 »

Was that a picture of Keith?? Or just a girl model for the company? The makeup means nothing depending on a persons choices. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

I think this is just simply great!

I want to meet this man. Clearly more man than myself even though you describe him as small and effiminate.

Gosh what guts -- I sure wish I had 'em.
boca

Post by boca »

Since1982 wrote:Was that a picture of Keith?? Or just a girl model for the company? The makeup means nothing depending on a persons choices. :)
looking at the link above it, I would say it is a model from the clothing company:
https://www.alexandra-shop.co.uk/images ... medium.jpg
me012247

Post by me012247 »

Wondering what is underneath that dress ;)
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It is Snowing Down South[/FONT] :ninjajig: :cheer:
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

The picture I provided is a link to the clothing company, Alexandra - it's not Keith (LOL).

I've no idea what he had underneath it - presumably just a pair of underpants. I didn't think of asking him.

I'm not saying I'd want to wear that item even if I was doing his job, but his appearance didn't scream out "THIS IS A GUY IN A DRESS!!". I actually had to look quite hard before the incongruity of it really struck me. I could imagine that the novelty of his appearance would wear off in about three seconds. He was just a member of staff in a tanning shop dressed the same in workwear just like the other staff. If anything, I would say he looked smart and professional.

Stu
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

I do make it a rule only to be treated by female beauticians, but how refreshing to see someone has taken fashion freedom a stage further.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Only curious

Post by ChrisM »

Skirtron you said "I make it a rule only to be treated by female beauticians..."

May I ask why?

I'm only curious. To the best of my knowledge I have never been treated by any sort of beautician, so I'm only asking as way of getting a peek into a (to me) foreign culture.

Thanks!

Chris
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

I find women have gentler hands, and, to be truthful, as a straight guy I feel more comfortable being massaged, etc, by a woman. I have had the following salon treatments at one time or another:

Manicure, including invisible nail varnish (enamel)
Pedicure
Deep moisturising facial
Eyebrow trim
Aromatherapy

I find most salon treatments a relaxing experience, and yes, a bit of a girly kind of experience I admit.

I only go to salons whose sign says they have treatments for men as well as women.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Thanks!

Post by ChrisM »

Thanks, that makes sense! Rather just as I, as a hetero male, would rather see a male MD. (Sorta the other side of the coin, as it were.)

Thanks for that reply. I wasn't familiar with what services beauticians provide but from your list I can clearly see how it would be more pleasant to be attended to by a woman.

Chris