Intro

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Matt

Intro

Post by Matt »

Been browsing this site off and on for a couple of months. Decided I would start frequenting it more regularly. I guess an intro is in order. My name is Matt. I'm 30, straight, and single. I started, again, learning more about my Scottish heritage last year. Glad to see that kilts for everyday wear are much more prevalent than I've seen in the past. I have 2 Triumph motorcycles - both from the modern factory. One is a black and white Bonneville T100 (hence my SN) and the other is a yellow Thruxton cafe racer. Since I live far from my family, I do a lot of driving and fined that a skirt is much more comfortable to wear in the truck than pants. I still have yet to go out in public - mostly because I'm rather self conscious and shy. Hopefully you fine folks will inspire me to finally overcome that shyness.
DanR

Welcome, Matt

Post by DanR »

I think everyone goes through that period where the thought of being in public while skirted / kilted is intimidating. Take it at your own pace and you'll be fine...as long as you keep making progress.

I ride a '95 Suzuki Intruder 1400 myself. But that requires pants, as I'm keenly averse to road rash. ;)
Dan Richardson
The CitySkirt Company
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Suzuki with pants

Post by Since1982 »

Dan, I think that falls under the original reason for wearing pants/trousers..anything that requires a sitting position with your legs split over something. Motorcycles, horses, bucking brahma bulls etc. etc.
I used to have a BMW S-500 in 1965 and I definitely couldn't have worn a skirt to drive it even if I was wearing skirts in public then as I am now. I loved my BMW but I had to get rid of it on a monday following an interesting experience on a Sunday afternoon... I lived in Fort Lauderdale Florida then, (where I was raised) and was headed out to a pool bar to shoot some pool with the locals. I went west on state road 84 and turned right on red after stop and pulled onto state road 441(this highway, back then was known as "Death Alley"). I hit a large grease spot on the road and laid my bike over....the next sound I heard was a long protracted screeeeeech of tires coming (hopefully) to a stop. The front tire of a very large 18 wheeler with a cargo of ammonia finally stopped 6 inches before running over my head. I looked up when it stopped and all I could see was an 8 foot wide, 3 foot high very reflective chrome bumper...That convinced me that maybe I might think about selling my bike and getting a car...I did. I'm alive today, the guy who bought my BMW isn't. He was run off the road into a deep ditch by someone who hated bikers. This was in the pre-mandatory helmet days, so the guy didn't survive crashing headfirst into a rock about the size of a basketball. I regress...sorry..I've thought many times since to buy another big motorcycle. I just haven't got around to it, and at this age and health I probably won't..I do like them tho.. :):shake: :think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I also ride a motorcycle, a 1988 Suzuki Savage, 650cc, 1 cylinder [link to MC pic below... hopefully!]. Definitely not in a kilt or skirt! :) Nice to see other riders here who also enjoy kilts and skirts.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/J ... /Road4.jpg

Welcome Matt! I agree with Dan... go at your own pace and you'll be fine. Just be confident about yourself and you shouldn't have any problems.

Skip... sorry to hear about your motorcycle mis-fortunate. I can see why you'd give up riding. At least you're hear to tell us about it! :)

--Rick
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Welcome to the club, Matt! That Thruxton is on my short list of bikes to own someday. Right now I'm on a Valkyrie, like this one:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/honda_valkyrie_1500_f6/
.... only in pants :)

Though a few years ago I did venture out for a brief neighborhood ride on my Ducati Monster, while wearing a Utilikilt (I had been working on the bike & needed to test ride it).

I too am very shy, very self conscious. I think the motorcycle is an enabling behaviour -- being able to draw attention to oneself, yet hide underneath the protective clothing and especially the helmet.

If your at all like me, you will find wearing the kilt or skirt to provide the same benefit. While you may draw attention to yourself, it's really attention to your attire. Folks rarely notice, even more rarely say anything, but when they do .... it gives you a fine opportunity to overcome the shyness and talk about a readily-available conversation piece.

Isn't it just weird .... you have enough whatever it is to get out on the road on a motorcycle, travel high speeds basically protected by nothing, but the thought of not having an inseam is nearly too much?

Been there .... when you get over it, be sure to let us know how it goes!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Welcome, Matt. No I don't ride motorcycles but I do something equally high speed and what some would call dangerous - I fly a light aircraft.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
talon2mech

Post by talon2mech »

Welcome Matt! I ride a 2005 Victory V92TC while wearing a kilt/skirt. I find that it won't blow over my head if properly tucked beneath my rear. Like cessna152, I am a skirted pilot as well!

Welocme to the ever evolving and interesting world of skirting!
-Matt