Kilts/skirts in Ireland

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Deedee_tv

Kilts/skirts in Ireland

Post by Deedee_tv »

I am taking a 2 week trip to Ireland this summer with friends. Although I am normally more of a femme male (wearing mostly womens jeans, shorts, cropped pants, etc), I wonder if it is at all appropriate to have and wear a kilt while in south west Ireland - County Kerry, near the coast.

Any help is appreciated Deedee
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I visited there, didn't see any kilts. But hey, kilts are appropriate everywhere!
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

My wife & I vacation there in 2004 and I wore a kilt (traditional wool, as well as a canvas Amerikilt) most days and got only positive feedback.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

I regularly used to travel throughout the length & breadth of Ireland between 1989 & 2000. I saw Kilts only on (extremely) rare occasions, invariably worn by a piper in a formal setting (more likely in Northern Ireland). The only others were on Scottish Football (or Rugby) fans, when an International was being played - don't recall seeing any "Irish" Kilts at these events, though. The connection between the above examples is that in Ireland, they're only worn to/at/from special events. (Things may be changing, nowadays, as (casual) Kilt-wearing seems to be gaining momentum throughout the British Isles!)

The Irish people, as a whole, are much less judgmental of other folk, more open in fact, than in many other countries. I cannot see you'll have any (people) problems wearing a Kilt, even in the more remote parts! I've even worn a short(ish) black skirt (with black opaque tights & boots!) in Dublin, totally 'un-noticed', apart from one gent who kindly informed me, "You're wearing a skirt!". I smiled, said "I know!", and carried on my way!
DavidsSkirts

Aah, the "oirish"

Post by DavidsSkirts »

- you don't have to be oirish to be oirish ...

from a cultural viewpoint, the Irish like to brag that they invented the Kilt and the Bagpipes, and then inflicted them on the Scot's..

- one day I want to visit there, as around half my ancestors came from there.
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I suspect Dublin would be more cosmopolitan but my only experience of Eire was flying to Waterford on a day trip last summer. I was wearing a smart pair of knee length golf shorts teamed with matching kilt hose which in Britain on a warm summer's day, worn by an older man like myself, doesn't usually draw any attention. However in Waterford several people stopped me and asked me why I was thus attired; one asked if I was a referee; another asked if I was off to play rugby. All in a friendly way and certainly no hostility but I was amazed that my shorts drew such attention. And I don't recall seeing anyone else wearing shorts or a kilt all day. The people there were very pleasant and friendly but seemed very limited in their choice of clothing.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/