Now that wasn't so bad was it? ha ha

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dasani

Now that wasn't so bad was it? ha ha

Post by Dasani »

Well tonight was my very first time going around people in a skirt! Got my Macabi skirt today and was dying to try it out. Put it on and saw how good it looked and felt that I figured now was as good a time as any, and I needed to go grocery shopping anyway. So I put on a button up blue mens shirt, put on my black floor length macabi skirt and my sandals and went to the grocery store.

I tried my best to just act completely normal and not pay any attention to my skirt at all and just shop like normal. There were more store employees in the store than anyone else, and they just looked at me and then went about what they were doing. Then there were two college age girls shopping that I walked right by like 4 times as we happened to need stuff on the same isles. They never said anything or paid that much attention.

When I got to the checkstand of coarse the cashier was a fairly attractive young lady, and she was pretty quiet the whole time, then a couple other people lined up behind me and never really paid that much attention.

I did have quite a bit of anxiety over doing it since this was my very first time, and as I was walking through the store for a moment I thought "What the hell am I doing?" But by time I got back out to my car I was like "Hey, that's wasn't so bad at all". And I was almost trying to think of anything else I needed in there for the oportunity to go back in:D The town I live in is a fairly small town of 5,400 people in Northern California, and although I am quite conservative, the people in this town thankfully are rather liberal and accepting of stuff. There are some very redneck jerks here too though.

Anyway, I think it's going to be a wonderful new found freedom for me! Now I just have to get my family used to it. They still don't know I am into wearing skirts. I'm thinking they are just going to find out when everyone else does when I show up to church on Sunday.:cool:

P.S. Got home from grocery shopping and was holding two gallons of milk in the hand I was trying to open the door with. Dropped one of the gallons and it busted open splashing milk ALL OVER the front of my brand new skirt!!! Son of a!!! Ha ha. Oh well. Get to test it's stain resistant qualities right away I guess.
gshubert

don't cry over spilled milk

Post by gshubert »

Hey, I hope everything cleans up well.

>Anyway, I think it's going to be a wonderful new found freedom for me! Now I just have to get my family used to it. They still don't know I am into wearing skirts. I'm thinking they are just going to find out when everyone else does when I show up to church on Sunday.

It is taking me a while to figure out what looks appropriate in which situations and what is comfortable for me and my family. As I get more experience, wearing kilts and skirts gets easier and better.

I've worn a Utilikilt and a long skirt to church, and received compliments and support from those that have spoken to me about them. I hope your experiences will be good as well.
--G. Shubert
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Well done!

Post by ChrisM »

Well done Dasani! We all went through it. Most of us had the same jitters you did. Most of us came through the first one going "Wow - what a non-event."

We do all have different thresholds for how 'far' we will go, and that's OK and good. Take it at your own pace, in accordance with your own morals and convictions, etc.

And let us know how it goes! We love to provide encouragement!

Chris
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Good start, Dasani, as others have said first time seems daunting till you try it and realise its no big deal. Best of luck with church and family and let us know how it goes.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
hiker

Post by hiker »

Dasani

My start was also with a black macabi. I figured it was better to go all the way than to diddle around with kilts. That said kilts also work well. In 3 months af frequent skirt wearing, I've had fewer than 5 negative comments and only one case of direct confrontation. If you're confident no one will care or comment. so enjoy!
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Good first experience! It only gets better...try a busy shopping mall. It's such a great thing to discover how little it matters to most people what you're wearing.

binx