The Beatles

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

The Beatles

Post by Since1982 »

IF, when the English invasion of rockers hit the shores of America, starting with the Beatles, they had worn skirts or kilts as well as long hair, we'd have gone through all the good old boy, "Ahm gonna kill yuh if yuh dont look like me" garbage long ago and we'd all have gone through a phase of having long hair and wearing unbifurcated clothes and some of us would still be in that phase for the rest of our lives. Ah me, IF only........"Dreammmmminnnggggg :)"
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Boatman398

Post by Boatman398 »

How true Skip

Bob who also lived in paridise called Florida before it was invaded and ruined by New Yorkers.
Rogon

Post by Rogon »

Actually a lot of 'that' did occurr. Perhaps you can remember the poster from the late '60's/early '70's of the 'guys' standing in line for the urinals and the older guy looks over and sees a 'girl' (person with long hair in a skirt) patiently waiting for 'her' turn, standing in the line next to him.

In my naive state I thought it was a statement about the feminist movement (female equality everywhere). Evidence shows now it was a statement of male equality and the right to look/be female if you choose. To each their own. I never saw this 'movement' or evidence of it then but from what I can gather there was a lot of 'crossdressing' taking place during the 60's/70's. It just didn't take off as we all may wish it would have now. Clearly, we lost a lot of what was 'fought' for during those times. We became 'financially' involved and went looking for careers and spent our lives raising kids instead.

It's simply now an opportunity we can revisit, if we choose.

Rogon
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

A few late 1990's rock stars appeared in black kilts which led to the traditional Scottish kilt becoming readily available in black as well as tartan.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Rogon

Post by Since1982 »

There was a lot of crossdressing/transvestism around in the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's and is still going on. That's not what I meant tho. I was talking about masculine looking men with long hair and a skirt or non tartan kilt. There have been long haired tartan kilt wearers for 1000 years. That's nothing new or different. When the Beatles came, if they'd just have been wearing a normal suit skirt with their suit coats and accoutrements (including long hair) The entire western world would be much different today. :cheer: :ninjajig: :cool:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:[...]When the Beatles came, if they'd just have been wearing a normal suit skirt with their suit coats and accoutrements (including long hair) The entire western world would be much different today.
Somehow I doubt that the USA would have been ready for that. There was an enormous stink about the length of their hair; had they pushed the envelope any farther I suspect they would have been banned -- or at least "highly discouraged" from appearing on these shores.

One must remember that when the "British Invasion" began, the country was still reeling from the repressive conformity of the 1950s; it wasn't until the late '60s that things started to loosen up in any meaningful way outside the more liberal cities. Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones got in trouble for singing "Let's Spend the Night Together" in violation of the various censorship codes in existance at the time; do you really believe that that mindset could deal with long-haired men in skirts, even if the younger generation of girls were swooning over them? No, that'd only amplify their rage and hostility.

All that said, though, it's a nice thought. Maybe the USA is ready now; it seems that Europe already is, which is a big benefit for our European friends. More power to them!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Sure

Post by Since1982 »

crfriend wrote:do you really believe that that mindset could deal with long-haired men in skirts, even if the younger generation of girls were swooning over them? No, that'd only amplify their rage and hostility.
Sure, they were considered "foreigners" then anyway, and the stink for kilts or leather skirts would have just been part of the immense stink there was for the hair. I was arrested twice for having long hair. Only my influential dad kept me from a "jailhouse haircut" and my hair was only as long as half an ear. If a few of the characters in the movie "Hair" had worn plain kilts or simple skirts I'm sure it would be just as allowed today as long hair is. Believe it or not, the Homeland Security we have now actually helps men to wear a skirt today because they inforce civil rights of most of the people far more than the country ever did before. I'm sure that the song "Are you a boy, or are you a girl?" wouldn't have been any less successful if the verse was "Are you a boy, or are you a girl, with your skirt and hair, you look like a girl" See what I mean? :):cool:

crfriend
Master Barista

On music....

Post by crfriend »

Yes, I know it's crass to quote one's own self, but...
crfriend wrote:Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones got in trouble for singing "Let's Spend the Night Together" in violation of the various censorship codes in existance [in the Us in the early 1960s [...]
And along comes this piece:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4891456.stm

which mentions:

"Ahead of the concert on Saturday, the Chinese government asked that the band not play the songs Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Beast of Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together because of their suggestive lyrics."

I hope that I'm not alone in seeing the humour in this.

Are we really moving forward as a species?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!