Hooly Dooly!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Hooly Dooly!

Post by trainman »

First day i've ever worn a skirt in public, and wow, more reaction than most people around here say they get...

I had to go and get some parts for my wagon (@%@%~%~%^^& FORDS!!!), and got no adverse comments, a couple of eird looks from people waiting for their cars.

Then on my way home I called into a supermarket to get some lunch. Had a couple of double take's from passer by's, a double take from the girl behind the counter. But their was one woman, well into her fifties, who found it quite fun to laugh at the top of her voice, and point out the "Freak" to everyone else. You'd think that she'd be a little more mature by that age... Or maybe not.

Overall not too bad, but boy it was hard to take the first step out of the house.

BTW, their is a photo of the skirt in the "What did you wear out and about today?" thread.
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
Cams

Post by Cams »

Double takes can be handled, but the woman yelling freak, that makes it hard, I hope you held you head high. I got less reaction when I wore a mini out.
Have a nice Skirted Day :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

trainman wrote:First day i've ever worn a skirt in public, and wow, more reaction than most people around here say they get...
Congratulations! As you mention further down, the first step is always the hardest, but it's well worth it in the long run.

I'm saddened to hear of the abuse you suffered from that ninny who behaved out of turn, but that's really an oddity and not the normal reaction one gets. Don't let it get to you.

As far as your wagon goes, I'm told that "FORD" is actually an acronym meaning either "Fix Or Repair Daily" or "Found On Road Dead". :) I'm surprised you didn't receive any guff at the auto-parts store; they're usually inhabited by massively-macho manly-men (who are mostly very insecure)....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

trousers

Post by Since1982 »

I bet the "freaky" woman was wearing trousers.....go figger:think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Foppy

Post by Foppy »

Well, that sucks. :eh:

I'm sorry that happened. It's pretty different than the reactions I've got, which, in descending order, are:

Complete indifference (about 85%),
A second look (10%),
Some questions & comments (3%, questions like, "Are you Scottish" or "Aren't you cold?" "You'll freeze your balls off", etc.)
and lastly, and this has only happened about two or three times in the last year, rude, blatantly intentional staring (2%).

I've never once had someone be verbally hostile like that though. I think if I was in the right mindset, I'd go right up to her and ask which "freak" she was talking about.
talon2mech

Post by talon2mech »

Congrats...You are on the way to a more comfortable life!

I handle rude people by confronting them. If a woman points and laughs at me I will ask her what is so funny. It shows the rest of the people around there that I am not ashamed of how I am dressed, and I have not lost my "manhood" to a skirt.

I had a similar experience in a bookstore. Some annoying woman started making a scene. I turned to her and asked her what her problem was, she said "nothin" I said "if you have something to say, say it, if not shut up". Several people complemented me on confronting that woman.
-Matt
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

I have never had any negative reactions at all.
I either get total indifference or positivity.
trainman

Post by trainman »

crfriend wrote:As far as your wagon goes, I'm told that "FORD" is actually an acronym meaning either "Fix Or Repair Daily" or "Found On Road Dead". :) I'm surprised you didn't receive any guff at the auto-parts store; they're usually inhabited by massively-macho manly-men (who are mostly very insecure)....
It helps when your handing over more than $300 folding, they generally ignore your appearence, and think of the commision coming their way. As for the car, sometimes it'a a joy, but i'm playing catchup with the repairs, so it's costing bucket loads...

As for the heckler, I don't aknowledge stupidity, I just held my head high, and went about my business as usual. I didn't even notice moct of the time, except when I had to pop the bonnet on my car to check something, and realised I had no pocket to put my keys in.

And yes, the heckler was in shorts.
Trainman is...

davereporter

Post by davereporter »

Which part of SA are you in? My recollections of years ago is that Adelaide people can be rather narrow minded. I remember getting heckled because I wore a beret at the time of the French invasion of a Pacific island. I am not French but to the simple logic of those people in Adelaide
Beret = French
French = pro Invasion
Pro invasion = enemy

Having said that there are places in Melbourne that I wouldn't go skirted either. Let's just say that in the inner city suburbs (where I live) no one cares but as you move further out to the 'burbs the stares increase.

I wouldn't pay any attention to that nutter though. You get them anywhere (although usually poking their heads out of cars as they zoom past).

Dave
trainman

Post by trainman »

I'm actually out towards golden grove, unfortunatly this area is become boganville, since most houses are being snapped up as investment properties.
Trainman is...

Monty

Post by Monty »

yup, your quite right there trainman golden grove is quite dodgy (though getting better recently), though my end of town is no less yokel (north west), and with the influx of petrolheads for the adelaide 500 I fear you chose a poor week to start, the middle of winter would probably have been a better time, the boguns seem to hibernate (dont know why)

regardless, congrats on getting outside though, one has to rattle their conservative cages every now and then
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Alco Haulic's Photo's

Post by Since1982 »

Must be something wrong with my browser or maybe that link is bad. I've clicked on all 3 instances of Alco Haulic's photo's link and keep getting the "that website is not available" page. I'd like to see his pictures but don't seem to be able to. :sad:

I even rebooted to see if that changed anything, It didn't. :sad::think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Hooly Dooly

Post by cessna152towser »

I got through on the link to Alco Haulic's train photos which gave me hours of pleasure as I'm also a trains buff.:drool:
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
trainman

Post by trainman »

Since1982 wrote:Must be something wrong with my browser or maybe that link is bad. I've clicked on all 3 instances of Alco Haulic's photo's link and keep getting the "that website is not available" page. I'd like to see his pictures but don't seem to be able to. :sad:

I even rebooted to see if that changed anything, It didn't. :sad::think:
Okay, I must give a warning. The link sometimes won't work. The server that hosts the free site that the images are on is very unreliable! The ebst time to try would be about 11:30GMT. If that doesn't help, it could be something to do with your ISP, I've had that trouble trying to look at websites from ameria here in oz. Try using this site as a go between, http://www.cgi-proxy.net/ That can solve the problem sometimes.

As for the thread, I actually had forgotten all about the car racing in town this weekend! I have to admit I don't keep tracj of events like that becaus eI know I don't have the time or money to go to them, so I just never take any notice!
Trainman is...

Cams

Post by Cams »

WooHoo, looking forward to the Clipsal 500. Position on couch booked for viewing.
Have a nice Skirted Day :)