A day out in Greenwich?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ash

A day out in Greenwich?

Post by Ash »

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich in the spring, assuming we get one, of course!
I have every intention of going skirted, probably one of my favoured ankle-length denim jobs. It's a train trip to London then, instead of the tube and the Docklands Light Railway, it has been suggested by a colleague that I tube to Westminster and then get the river bus to Greenwich. Brilliant idea, I thought.

It's going to be an awesome day, hopefully for all the right reasons. This will be the first time that I will have attempted a full day out like this in a skirt. I'm nervous about it, but also kinda exhilerated. I think, I hope, it's gonna be great and a huge, huge step forward for me. Public transport, and all that.

A full report of my adventures will follow shortly after the event, probabley sometime in May.

All best wishes,
ash
Daring to be different.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Hope you enjoy it--am sure you will. there are some great little antique places around there selling all kinds of nautical pirate stuff from olden days. it's a very atmospheric place!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Ash - a denim skirt? Hardly anyone will notice, and nobody will react. I hope this won't disappoint you, but it will be a complete non-event.

I had a day out in a knee-length denim skirt with my youngest daughter last August at the magnificent Chatsworth House. It didn't even attract a sidelong glance. So long as you are confident and you team it up with appropriately masculine garments, you can just wear it and forget it. Men can wear denim skirts nowadays as easily as a pair of jeans.

Enjoy.

Stu
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Hey Ash,
Good luck, you'll be fine I think. Your trip reminds me of my first skirted day out in Bath - I didn't come home till the sun went down. I find shopping malls good skirting territory too - and buying an upmarket coffee makes for an embarrassment-free visit to the in-house facilities.
hiker

Post by hiker »

Challenge yourself -- don't take a pair of backup pants. Full committment is a much easier way to live.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Challenge

Post by Since1982 »

It's no challenge for me, I don't own any trousers anymore. The only pants I have are underpants which I also seldom wear. Once I got used to everyone here accepting seeing me in skirts and even backing up my right to do so it's become a complete non-event for me. I just wake up in the morning, decide which skirt and shirt I'm going to wear, get dressed and do whatever I have planned for that day. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Skip,
You make me want to move to Key West!
Ash

non-digital photography>?

Post by Ash »

Hi all,
In connection to my Greenwich trip, I was wondering about photos. I don't have a digtal camera and cost precludes getting one in the near future, so can I use a conventional camera and still post pics here somehow? Maybe scan them in? How much resolution will I lose, if any? Advice please from any one who knows about these things. It would be great to be able to share some images of what I hope will be a great day out!
Help!

Best wishes,
Ash
Daring to be different.
borrowedTime

Post by borrowedTime »

Most photo processing places these days can develop your film onto a CD-ROM if you ask them - at the same time as making prints, if you want both.
Then you don't even need to scan them in, you can just edit and upload them.

Of course you can scan them in instead if you prefer. For a photo which is just going up on the web, the resolution lost during scanning normally doesn't matter very much. Try a variety of settings (different resolutions etc.) when you do the scan and see which provides a satisfactory image.
(A professional would probably use a special film scanner to scan in the negatives at a higher resolution, but this isn't really necessary if you just want a picture for viewing on the web.)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Digital Cameras

Post by Since1982 »

Do you live in a big enough town to have Pawn shops? or Thrift shops? The digital camera I have I picked up at a Pawn shop for $15. and it works great, has a side picture you can watch while taking pics, made by Panasonic. Plugs right into my computer. Good luck with whatever you do. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

Hi Ash,

I made the same trip you are going to take about two years ago. I intended to wear a short denim skirt but chickened out. It was my first time in the UK so I was not familiar with the area I was traveling so I was not sure who I would encounter. As it turned out it would not have been a problem. I saw no one that I felt threatened by.

I enjoyed the observatory. I hope you are in shape to walk up the hill to the observatory. I walked into the Maritime museum first and got a ticket for the observatory. I think it was free but you needed a ticket. You can also get one up at the observatory.

By the way no cameras allowed inside of the observatory. This is typical of museums in the Europe as I understand it. Someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong. I started to take a picture of one of the clocks and someone politely pointed out a sign on the wall. You can take photos outside.

Make sure you get one of yourself standing on the prime meridian. Post it on this site so I can cuss at myself for not wearing the skirt.

By the way, if you are into electronics, take a good look at the mechanical design of the clock. It is the mechanical version of the electrical wheatstone bridge.