Mountain Kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
gshubert

Mountain Kilt

Post by gshubert »

REI and other US retailers are currently carrying the Mountain Hardwear Mountain kilt. Here is a link,
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... REI_SEARCH
and an image,

Other retailers, according to Froogle are TravelCountry.com, Summit Hut, and Mountain Gear.
--G. Shubert
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Buy One!

Post by ChrisM »

OK guys, let's put our money where our mouths are:

Buy one of these. Even if you never intend to wear it. Even if they don't sell your size.

This garment is being marketed as a Men's skirt. On this forum we often lament the fact that the 'big box' retailers don't carry men's skirts. Then we write e-mails to them telling them that there's a market and we'd buy ém if they existed.

Well here's a retailer with the cojones to offer a man's skirt. Send him a message he'll understand. Make sure this skirt shows up in their annual sales report - and not in the "never again column!"

Think of it as a US$50 investment in culture change.

All the best,

Chris
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

I have this and it is, without a doubt, my most favoritist garment. I wear it every chance I get. It's light, very durable, has pockets, stays down even in very brisk winds.
I wore mine on a neighborhood walk just a few days ago.
Gosh it feels good.

Get one. Get 2!
isobar

Post by isobar »

How long is this? The ad doesn't say.
Dom
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

I can't remember, maybe 21" or 22"? Maybe the Mountain Hardwear site would say?

I'm 5'10" and if I wear it where I wear pants, it comes to just below my knees. If I wear it where a kilt would normally be worn -- just above....
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

I'd love to get one, but...They need bigger sizes...got a Macabi. Revision: Found there's a store downtown, so I can order it, they'll ship it to the store, and I can try it on! If it fits, I'm taking it home!

binx
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

I would buy one right now--but buying in America can't be done on the great international network of computers unless you have an american-address credit card.

I've been through all the same hoops before trying to get Christmas presents to relatives in America.. Credit card? nope. PayPal? Nope. I'll send cash? We can't accept it. I'll transfer money from my bank in the UK? Can only be done after filling in forms and waiting a week. Send certified cheque? Will take a week to draw up and a week to send.

It all gets a bit tedious. You can even get onto ebay.com, an American site, go and make a purchase, and find it's a UK company who "doesn't send to America".

Great idea, and I'd like to help, but I have my foot on the gas while 300 people with other ideas have their feet on the brakes. Can't be done!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Foppy

Post by Foppy »

For anyone who owns one of these, is the sizing more of a slim, or a relaxed fit? (i.e., if my waist is 34", should I get a medium or a large)
isobar

Post by isobar »

MtnBiker wrote:Mountain Hardwear site would say?
No, as I said, it doesn't say. Unfortunately 21" or 22" would be woefully inadequate for me :|
Dom
jlhansen

Let's make a deal ...

Post by jlhansen »

iain wrote:I would buy one right now--but buying in America can't be done on the great international network of computers unless you have an american-address credit card. Can't be done!
I beg to differ with you Iain. Email or send me a PM and let's see what I can do to get you one. I am about ready to place an order. I am sure we can make some kind of arrangement.

John (moving 300 people out of Iain's way)
David R

Post by David R »

I have a Mountain Kilt. (I have no trouble with credit card purchases from Australia.) It is a very good skirt for a man. It is stable in winds and even works seated as there is some drape in the front. I would certainly recommend it for warm weather use. I have worn this extensively and it must look right as you are hardly noticed. Even my wife is happy with it. With regard to size, I am 35" waist and Xtra-large fits perfectly. I am 6' tall and the length is perfect knee length. I would say that if your waist size was greater than 36" you may not fit even Xtra-large. For the relatively reasonable price, buy one and send a message to the manufacturers that there is a demand for men's skirts.

Here is the link to the supplier I purchased from.
http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/prod ... title=&N=0
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

ok, ok! they emailed me to say I can use my credit card, so I will do so.

I'm so used to american "inter" (but not really "inter") net sites giving me grief. with bluefly.com, I once had to find someone in the US to receive the product for me, and I had to then send cash to this person in shenectady or somewhere.

of course, when the product was finally sent, the person was out, so they delivered next door. the next door neighbour claimed never to have received it, so the whole effort was wasted.

there's a great hawaiian site with fantastic sarongs and shirts that lets you get all the way to the end of the order form and clears the card--or it looks like it does--the page gets twisted up in its own knickers and has you punching buttons in exasperation before telling you.. "no cards from outside america".

try ordering a camera in canada or america from the UK! try it!! you can try EVERYTHING. you can tap dance round the town, jump through flaming hoops, fill in endless forms, answer endless helpful popup lists, make login and password combinations until you're blue in the face.. even ring up the place when the web forms get tangled up in themselves and choke to death. when you finally get to a human being and not to a tape recorder cheerfully telling you that your call is important (not so important that they'd hire someone to answer it, but, yes, important!) they tell you.. sorry, no credit cards unless you live in america.

there's a site which sells synthovial-7, that helps joints, etc, that does the same thing. at the very very very end of the form filling, because of some programmer's half witted effort, you get tangled up in a loop which makes you go round and round and round until you come up with a US zip code for a UK address, a US area code and state (but with a UK phone and address, remember!), and finally accepts your card! you feel you've done the impossible! you cry with relief!! you attach a note wherever you can explaining their web site is full of holes and can they note you DON'T live in Alaska. but oh, happy day!! you have beaten the system at last!!!!

only they email you a day or two later to say they're sorry, boo hoo, they can't take your card after all because you don't live in america.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

I suppose it depends upon the selling website. I'm in the UK and have ordered stuff using my credit card from Macabi Skirts and Medieval Moccasins (fantastic shoes!) with no bother at all.

Two great sites:
http://www.macabiskirt.com/
http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/

Cheers,
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Foppy - sizing

Post by MtnBiker »

Foppy wrote:For anyone who owns one of these, is the sizing more of a slim, or a relaxed fit? (i.e., if my waist is 34", should I get a medium or a large)
I am a 37" waist -- most of my pants are 38" and just tad loose, and some 36" jeans fit fine.

The XL fits me perfectly.
jlhansen

Order submitted ...

Post by jlhansen »

... now patiently awaiting the arrival; scheduled for next Friday.

Who will be the first to post a photo of themselves in their new Mountain Kilt?

John (checking the "film" in his camera ...)