Women's Reactions to Men in Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Women's Reactions to Men in Skirts

Post by skirttron »

I wonder if women's generally positive (so far, except for my wife) reactions to my skirt wearing can be explained thus: The skirt, like shaving, reduces aggressive masculinity and so women will chat to you more as they would another woman, without thinking you want to pick them up.
Men with no other talents, however, will see a cheap opportunity to feel superior for once, rather as some non-smokers treat smokers
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Mixed feelings on this one, historicaly men in kilt type skirts don't seem to have been placid in any way, just ask anyone who was hacked to pieces by a blue woad daubed, manic wee Scot in a kilt wielding a claymore if their assailant was one with their softer side.
However in many cases you are probably right. Just looking through these threads shows that many men in skirts seem to be more aware of feelings, physical, and also the social side of stuff. i,e, many posts on what it is like to flash underwear etc. Maybe it is the type of man who wants to indulge in a spot of skirtocity, or just 'the skirt effect' as in a wafty bit of cloth which needs to be controlled and thus shapes the behaviour of the wearer.
Maybe the habitual skirtist has a slightly less masculine swagger due to the need to manage his skirt. Oh yes, and how threatening can a man in a tight denim number be? as he tries to move threateningly?
Many women make the 'smoothing before sitting' motion even when they aren't wearing skirts. The shorter stride due to impractical footwear and many other female mannerisms will be mostly due to the contents of their wardrobe rather than anything else, I am ignoring various anatomical differences here, such as weight distribution. So what you wear is bound to affect your demeanor to some extent. Tee-shirt, jeans & suchlike fit the macho-male 'swagger' just too well so maybe a guy in a skirt is less of a threat.
I spose most skirted men are also more vulnerable to ridicule which is a good defence for many women. (Not everyone I know!) .
I don't see why shaving would reduce agressive masculinity, in the UK anyway, a shaven head with no beard (Phil & Grant Mitchell on Eastenders for us Brits) is as scary as men get. The old Hells Angles (Not misspelt by accident) are not such a big thing.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
ElBuitre

Post by ElBuitre »

Skirtton, you've raised some interesting points there. I think this reduction of percieved aggressive masculinity is different in the two cases: While sporting a beard is a primary, biological sign of masculinity, wearing a skirt is a secondary, socially conditioned signal of femininity. Moreover, men wearing skirts and/or other "women's garments" are quite often considered to be homosexual (all the while we know it is typically not the case). Also women might see there some interest in fashion, which is not so typical for men but essential for many women. All this makes makes women quite openly chat with us -- that is my experience, too.
El Buitre

-- dresses are for dressing, dressings are for salads --
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirttron wrote:I[...]The skirt, like shaving, reduces aggressive masculinity and so women will chat to you more as they would another woman, without thinking you want to pick them up.
I'm not so sure on that count, if the "most positive" encounters I've had are any indication.

In one, a younger lass of, about 21 years of age, expressed absolute astonishment and outright appreciation of my garb; she offerred compliments and amazement that "a guy could get something so right". This, incidentally, was in front of my wife, so the lass in question knows full well that I'm "straight". A good strong hug ensued.

In the second, and one that took me by surprise whilst on holiday this time past, was a cashier at the local liquor store. She was quite struck by my outfit (scarlet vest, yellow dress shirt, and cranberry skirt) and commented on it, very pleasantly and animatedly. Her actual comment was, "I like your dress", but that was more of an expression that she didn't "get" the fact that I had on three pieces rather than one or two. This was not a comment made to someone who might look "feminine"; it was made to a 6'4" bloke with an almost-ZZ Top-quality beard; she liked it. On a subsequent visit, whilst I was wearing trousers, the same lass seemed visibly disappointed in my "conventional attire" and asked about that, too. The entire exchange I found to be very interesting.
skirttron wrote:Men with no other talents, however, will see a cheap opportunity to feel superior for once, rather as some non-smokers treat smokers
That's their problem. All you need to worry about is whether you can either avoid them, or if the "stuff" really hits the fan, can best them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

I have found a form fitting skirt accentuates masculinity so is a draw. A guy in a skirt is also going to attract positive attention for being perceived as an individual, open minded, and intelligent. Skirts don't take anything away from a man in my eyes, they can only add to his virtues. Besides, why the assumption women don't approach a guy in a skirt to get a date? :whistle:

Quiet Mouse
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

skirttron wrote:I wonder if women's generally positive (so far, except for my wife) reactions to my skirt wearing can be explained thus: The skirt, like shaving, reduces aggressive masculinity and so women will chat to you more as they would another woman, without thinking you want to pick them up.
I'm really not sure about the aggressive masculinity part. I've always considered that the vast majority of men (esp: in the UK) who sport beards are actually openly signalling: 'personal insecurity'. Recent discussions with female friends/acquaintances have (somewhat surprisingly?) tended to re-inforce this viewpoint. Women are, by nature, more curious than men, so are more likely to engage in conversation with someone more, shall we call it, 'self aware'.
skirttron wrote:Men with no other talents, however, will see a cheap opportunity to feel superior for once, rather as some non-smokers treat smokers
I don't know about feeling superior, but I certainly feel more alive! Most of my friends/acquaintances who smoke(d), (in particular, the "right to smoke" brigade!:( ) have passed away, thanks to their adherence to their habit/addiction, call it what you will. Again, the feeling that they smoke(d) because of 'personal insecurity' comes to mind.
Mary Jane Boy

Post by Mary Jane Boy »

I've never recieved so many smiles and pleasing looks (not to mention compliments) as I do when wearing a skirt.
Mary Jane Boy

http://www.mary-janeshoes.com

"Mary Jane's - not just for girls anymore!"
The Satirist

Post by The Satirist »

I should point out that I don't change my demeanor based on what I've been wearing. I have never lessened my personal traits to become, or allude to, a softer, less assertive personality type. After the early experimenting, I decided I was best suited to be who I am. I wear skirts that give me plenty of room to move, and I certainly maintain my "masculine" swagger. I can't stand any clothing that doesn't allow me to be who I am, or that restricts my movement. I am, who I am, regardless of what I wear. I'm not trying to get in touch with any "inner feminine side", nor am I attempting to disavow my masculinity. I also don't automatically assume that others are doing that either. As a wise man once said, "whatever floats your boat."
Freedom since July 3, 2004.

Genius can be recreated - Stupidity is irreplaceable. -The Satirist 2004-
nitrox

Post by nitrox »

My stand on it is similar as wearing a different pair of jeans, skirt, coat doesn't make me a different person. I wear blue or red and I act the same as green or white. I think people are looking for reason to do something (if that's even the case) to undermine your credibility as a guy. You act the same in a skirt as you would in jeans or trousers and it's just you in a different thing not some freak walking in trying to make a huge statement about their sexuality.

Man, the first time I wore tights (or spandex for that matter) skating I was very very self concious and quite embarassed, but it quickly wore off after a few sessions and everyone wearing the same thing, which is spandex. It's just the idea that you have to grow up and get over the 13yr. old thoughts of do I look stupid and see the greater good. I can imagine that if I wore tights to class that I would get stared at and looked at strange, but it would lessen over time.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

I Like Your Skirt

Post by ChrisM »

the high point of my day last Saturday was when a cute girl stopped me near the Sydney Opera House and asked to be photographed with me. All because "I like your skirt."

However, in direct response to Skirtron, I think yes you are absolutely right, as long as the guy's skirt doesn't go so far that it leaves the woman wondering if he is confused. Hence the subtle line so many of us have tried to find.
isobar

Post by isobar »

nitrox wrote:My stand on it is similar as wearing a different pair of jeans, skirt, coat doesn't make me a different person.
I guess it depends on where the 'person' is. If you consider that what you wear (and particularly when it's something as unusual as a skirt) changes what others see in you, then in that sense you are a different person. This is my experience of wearing a skirt - people really do see a different person. It's a similar effect to walking around with a small child - people do treat you differently. I've heard it also works with dogs...
Dom
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Very interesting viewpoints from everyyone. I hope to wear my kilt out at the weekend. I am straight and married, and my work is male-dominated, but wearing a skirt brings out a softer aspect of me which I like, and, cliche-wise, helps me to relax.
me012247

Post by me012247 »

I went out the other day not really taking proper care of my hemline. At a restaurant down in Miami in line for getting seated a waitress spotted me at the bar and said:"nice slips, sir!". I thought, what the heck, just do it more often.
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It is Snowing Down South[/FONT] :ninjajig: :cheer:
luap

Post by luap »

i know this is an older post, but i haven't been here for a while so -
Big and Bashful wrote:The shorter stride due to impractical footwear
mmm, i'd guess i still stride the same length in 4 inch chunky heels......although the hips do move a bit more than when wearing flats !
Big and Bashful wrote:I don't see why shaving would reduce agressive masculinity, in the UK anyway, a shaven head with no beard (Phil & Grant Mitchell on Eastenders for us Brits) is as scary as men get.
....add the aforementioned 4 inch chunky heels (usually knee-length boots), a short skirt and tight top (or maybe a dress) and that's me - and i still get abuse occasionally ! (although the morons don't get physical)

on the other hand, quite a few girls i know have repeatedly questioned my parentage - usually followed by wishes that their legs looked as good as mine !
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Sunday was "bring your friend to church Sunday." Well, a visitor to the church commented on my outfit (no one else does anymore, there's nothing surprising about it). This Sunday, I was wearing a black SportsKilt, black-and-yellow striped over-the-knee socks and a blue T-shirt. And sandals.

So this lady visitor said to me, "I really like your socks." Then she explained how yellow and black were her school colors.

I told her I almost wore a yellow T-shirt, but felt it was too loud. Her reply: "Oh no, you can never go wrong with that color yellow; you should wear it next time!"

So really, I think that women see it as something they can connect to --- paying attention to clothing and our bodies.