It's Marie Again!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Marie

It's Marie Again!

Post by Marie »

Hi guys!

I am amazed at the responses. This is a valid problem for men to find quality skirts at a reasonable price. I've read every response and I'm going to try to summarize what you are saying-

1. Waist/hip ratio and fit, fit, fit!
2. Ease of movement but no high splits/slits to show more than you should.
3. Durable quality fabric in dark, solid colors.
4. Offer options of zip fly, belt loops and/or pockets (wallet, keys, phone).
5. Lighterweight fabric for summer-not see thru though.
6. Specific custom length made to each customer's measurements.
7. Offering camo or some other masculine, subdued prints.
8. It must yell "I'M A MAN!!!!" Nothing feminine in any way whatsoever
9. And finally, while we are dreaming ~pray~ , preferably be $100 or less.

How far off am I? Hopefully I am getting the basic idea. Let me do some scouting-thanks to those who gave me links, I will follow up on them- and see what I can come up with. I'm looking to make a very basic utilikilt-like pattern at first, then later add some of the options you've requested. Keep your advice coming-it all helps. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Take care, Marie

Since 1982- :rotfl: Lucky you, you can be my test guinea pig! :dance:
[email]Marie
bcmtnbka

Post by bcmtnbka »

You nailed it and that's why men skirts will look like kilts.
Raphael

Chinese Blood, Kilted Heart, One United!

Join my Yahoo Kilts Night Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KiltsNight/

My Photo ALbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fangfamily

My Blog: http://xingtheline.blogspot.com/
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Smack!

Post by r1g0r »

:badlaugh:

well...

consider where all the current products dwell, and then look at similar ones "for women".

your current availability ranges from mediocre & overpriced (menintime) to crappy yet inexpensive (sportkilt).

if you presented these options in ANYTHING ELSE, or in WOMEN'S skirts, you'd be out of business quick.

women can hit a few stores and find the style they want, the size and length that suits/fits them, and a price and quality that is expected & normal.

go find that in what's marketed to guys, i dare ya!
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

No wonder most of my skirts were intended for women!
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Marie

To clarify.......

Post by Marie »

Whoa! If there are companies who offer products that have all the styles/options that I listed in my thread, then there are lucky customers out there. I don't begrudge you your success, I applaud it.

My specialty is not producing one item. It's figuring out the best way to meet a customer's need. Whether that means altering a commercial garment, dressmaking from a commercial pattern or just completely making my own pattern-often from a picture or an existing piece of clothing.

It also means, quite frequently, I deal with measurements hard to fit, such as plus sizes and the handicapped. I do make "regular" clothes as well but I enjoy being able to make something that the customer is unable to find anywhere else.

In this case, I was very uneducated as to what the customer needed and came to this site to learn. I have appreciated the warm welcome and the patient teaching. The small group I may sew for will, most likely, never be missed by any company, therefore negating any threat of lost business.

I have found that there are too few seamstresses, rather than too many. If anyone would like to offer tips/suggestions regarding men's skirts-great! If not, that's OK too. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks guys-Marie :)
[email]Marie
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Marie wrote:My specialty is not producing one item. It's figuring out the best way to meet a customer's need. Whether that means altering a commercial garment, dressmaking from a commercial pattern or just completely making my own pattern-often from a picture or an existing piece of clothing.
Hello Marie, among your options you hit on the need my guy goes with- alterations. He's one of the guys that will buy clothes from either side of the store but finds the skirts sold for women have designs he likes but the fit needs work.

Individualizing your service as you do is a great way to go. I'm even wondering if there might be a call for something as basic as a shopping service- merely purchasing skirts and mailing them out to those really timid about being seen purchasing skirts directly or even online.

Thank you for what you do, Marie. There are lots of men that appreciate the respect you show them by taking their requests seriously.

Quiet Mouse
Don

Hi, Marie! Some additional thoughts...

Post by Don »

Marie wrote:Hi guys!

I am amazed at the responses. This is a valid problem for men to find quality skirts at a reasonable price. I've read every response and I'm going to try to summarize what you are saying-
How far off am I? Hopefully I am getting the basic idea....
You indeed are!

Let me see if I can offer some deeper insights into this...

Men are willing to adapt – and society is willing to accept – fashion notions that were once believed to be feminine; observe that earrings and ponytails are now quite common on men, and the “manbag” is taking hold little by little. My own experience with the men’s skirt suggests that society will have little objection, once a comfort threshold is reached. Quite apart from the fact that the skirt must be wearable, practical, and affordable, there are some other attributes that become considerations. I’ve always felt that “skirtsmanship” – the technique of wearing a skirt in public – is a rather subtle and sophisticated art, and in my mind, it’s all about impact, about message, about personna and perhaps “panache”. This leaves a tremendous “avenue of creativity” for the skirt designer but also presents him/her with a HUGE challenge!

Remember, the seldom-seen sight of a man wearing a skirt tends to “jar” the eye, so one rule of skirtsmanship is that the sight must be so visually appealing and pleasing to the eye that it’s acceptance is moot point. This is very subjective, of course; I have my own definitions, but so does everyone else. The skirt must be designed to highlite and underscore – rather than violate – conventional notions of masculinity. This is especially challenging; everyone has an intuitive sense of what “masculinity” is but NO ONE can define it precisely! The accomplished skirtsman uses his craft to project qualities that are considered attractive in men; he says “my sense of manhood is so strong, my level of self-confidence is so high, my sense of outside-the-box is so finely tuned that I can not only get away with this, but I can make the result very desirable and attractive!

In these forums, you’ll often see grousing and complaining about the lack of “fashion freedom” for men. I doubt that you could find a woman in the world who would acknowledge this; the ground rules may be slightly different, but I do not believe women to be any freer than men are! In my mind, the real issue isn’t freedom, but something else…

Men can learn something from the women-in-pants movement of about 30 or so years ago. This was the point at which pants for women became ACCEPTABLE everywhere, and at ALL levels of dress. It happened suddenly, and with VIRTUALLY NO sense of revolution! How did this happen? What was the secret?

Simple, really! The women followed the rules I’ve outlined above; they showed the world, an attractive, appealing image that DIDN’T contradict prevailing notions of femininity! The real question is “how do you implement this?”, and we are waiting for you, the skirt designer, to lead the way!

Marie, about 6 years ago – a time when I thought I was the ONLY man in the world who wanted to see skirts metamorphasize into an acceptable men’s garment – I wrote an article I intended for publication in Men’s Health or GQ. Neither bought it, but if you would like to read it, I would gladly e-mail you a copy.

I would also extend that offer to anyone else interested. I’ve made this offer before, of course, but there are always those who “just tuned in”…

Keep us apprised of your progress!
Don
Oakland, NJ
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Marie

Post by Since1982 »

Marie's not posted here in a month and a half approx. I have been in email contact with her since I was the one that originally contacted her. If you all would like me to let her know that there are more persons interested in her abilities/and/or products, I'll gladly do that, if you just want another person to chat with, I'll ask her if she wants that or mainly wants to make clothing for us. :think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Well Said Don.

Post by ChrisM »

Don, your point is very well made. I think you may have hold of the secret, and I look forward to using it as a metric for my own skirt wearing.

I would be interested to read your magazine article. If you will PM me I will send you an email address to which it can be directed.

Much thanks,

Chris
Boatman398

Post by Boatman398 »

With the hundreds of skirt styles already being made I would think that any of us could find a skirt that not only was the style we wish to wear but in a size that would fit. If you have a beer gut or built a shed over your tools then probably should not be looking to wear a tennis skirt or mini skirt, the same would go for a lady with heavy thighs and a gut. If you are in good physical shape and have hot looking legs then dress to show them. The other night I went to check out at Walmart and there was a good looking girl in a pink a-line short tennis skirt and tight fitting matching top in the line I chose to use. What a body with nice curves and tanned legs, I was thinking how good it would be to a little younger. When she turned to pay the cashier I was surprized she was a bit old for me and I am 54. My point is dress for your physical shape not just your age. Also need to dress for the occation. I see styles some of us wear and they just wouldn't do for my life style or flatter my body style. Just like women we have bodies of all shapes and sizes. I have skirts that fit perfect but wish I could find the same one just 2-3" s longer for a little more dress up look. When I am at my normal weight I wear a size 9/10 juniors. Junior sizes fit my body in jeans and skirts better then mens jeans. If I wear a skirt just below the belly button 14" comes 4" above the knee. 18" is half covering the knee but on some of us who are tall and have long legs 18' would seem way to short. At the knee skirts seem to focus attention to my knees being 54 years old. . Mid thigh and I get comment on a great looking pair of legs. Calf length and I hide my best feature. Short strech skirts and I have had comments on nice buns and legs. I live in south Florida so shorts and short skirts are in most of the year. We would need as many styles of skirts as women have to suit all our needs. Some skirts just stand out so much people stare at the skirt where others blend in letting people see the who picture and think , not bad. I have several cordoroy mini skirts that look good on me I am told but the same length pleated tennis skirt I look like an old man in a little girls skirt.

Instead of waiting for some one to invent the universal men's skirt go out and find a skirt that fits your body style , age, and enviorment. The universal skirt is impossible for us as it is for women.
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brandy »

Marie, sent you a PM.

-- Brandy