Blending in

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Blending in

Post by Barleymower »

Pushing my bike through the town centre on Thursday I was struck (again) by the lack of skirts out there.
I know some of the reasons for the lack of skirts:
- Overweight women getting chubb rub;
- The masculineisation of society (and with it the hatred of [rad-fem hate-speed redacted]);

And yet I still find it hard to comprehend. I find skirts so comfortable, the array of fabrics and styles is mind blowing. They feel fantastic and are fun. Yet there they all are, trousers, leggings and baggy shorts on every horizon. Hardly a skirt in sight. It's tragic.

I wish there were more women out there who wanted to dress up. More men prepared to dress as they would like instead of waiting until the coast is clear.

I'm feeling a bit negative today because I want change and change is not happening. I suppose it is wrapped in with my new purchase, a grey crinkle, full circle skirt. It's beautiful but pushing the boundaries of skirt wearing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Blending in

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:28 am It's beautiful but pushing the boundaries of skirt wearing.
Hi Barleymower.
The perfect answer to just why you should wear it is right there in your own words.
The changes, you mention will not be catalysed by "blending", but rather the opposite.
What boundaries are pushed if nobody notices? I'd have thought very few.
Besides, with all the doom and gloom of current times, beauty and a touch of whimsy too are in desperately short supply.
Look forward to seeing some images.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Don't worry about change, it will come, or it won't, nothing more complicated than that. All I can suggest is that you go about life the way YOU choose and wear what YOU choose.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

I share your despair! I think it's part of a general shift towards leisure wear. Here on the Continent you mostly only see leggings and tracksuit bottoms, plus some jeans. Skirts are for either a) older women who have always worn them and b) office attire. In that context my wife stands out for wearing a skirt, let alone me!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Don't wait for change, life is too short. Just enjoy your skirts for all the good reasons you give and the world will catch up later.
If one blends in too much, one might disappear.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:28 am Pushing my bike through the town centre on Thursday I was struck (again) by the lack of skirts out there.
I know some of the reasons for the lack of skirts:
- Overweight women getting chubb rub;
- The masculineisation of society (and with it the hatred of [rad-fem hate-speed redacted]);

And yet I still find it hard to comprehend. I find skirts so comfortable, the array of fabrics and styles is mind blowing. They feel fantastic and are fun. Yet there they all are, trousers, leggings and baggy shorts on every horizon. Hardly a skirt in sight. It's tragic.

I wish there were more women out there who wanted to dress up. More men prepared to dress as they would like instead of waiting until the coast is clear.

I'm feeling a bit negative today because I want change and change is not happening. I suppose it is wrapped in with my new purchase, a grey crinkle, full circle skirt. It's beautiful but pushing the boundaries of skirt wearing.
It’s the age old problem when change is both desired and scary. Those who’ve done it should provide encouragement and wisdom. Those going through it should be able to be honest and “chicken out” with impunity. Everyone needs to progress at their pace.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

If you feel able to go out in public in a skirt why do you feel frustrated. The other people are wearing what they find comfortable. So are you. Everyone is happy. Where is the problem?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I would not assume that all men are happy with their clothes.

A few may have envied those women they have seen skirted (however rare these days).
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:06 am Besides, with all the doom and gloom of current times, beauty and a touch of whimsy too are in desperately short supply.
Look forward to seeing some images.
Steve.
Quite right Steve, I'm glad I bought the skirt before someone else got there. Will send photos.
I'll also get my daughter the beautiful durndle skirt for Christmas. She'll be made up.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255554140443 ... media=COPY
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:43 pm If you feel able to go out in public in a skirt why do you feel frustrated. The other people are wearing what they find comfortable. So are you. Everyone is happy. Where is the problem?
Are they though? I think a lot of people men and women alike really worry what others are thinking. Such a shame.
I picked my youngest up from primary in a grey pleated skirt on friday. So many dropped jaws it was great fun.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:05 pm
rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:43 pm If you feel able to go out in public in a skirt why do you feel frustrated. The other people are wearing what they find comfortable. So are you. Everyone is happy. Where is the problem?
Are they though? I think a lot of people men and women alike really worry what others are thinking. Such a shame.
I picked my youngest up from primary in a grey pleated skirt on friday. So many dropped jaws it was great fun.
That didn't seem to me to be the thrust of the OP. That spoke of frustration that more people did not wear skirts. I repeat that if everyone is wearing what they want to wear there is no problem. We can hardly argue for our right to wear skirts if we also argue against others exercising their right not to.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:29 pm We can hardly argue for our right to wear skirts if we also argue against others exercising their right not to.
Yes, this is brilliant.

If a woman says she can’t stand wearing a skirt, the reply is then don’t wear one.

If someone asks why you are wearing one, the reply should be, because I want to.

If people aren’t wearing something cause they don’t want to, the reply should be, that’s ok.

If people aren’t wearing something they want to because societal norms state they shouldn’t, societal norms need to die.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:29 pm
That didn't seem to me to be the thrust of the OP. That spoke of frustration that more people did not wear skirts. I repeat that if everyone is wearing what they want to wear there is no problem. We can hardly argue for our right to wear skirts if we also argue against others exercising their right not to.
I can see why you would think that. I'll expand on my rational.
When I started wearing skirts I wanted to bring my wife along with me. As much I bought skirts for me I bought skirts for her. The first a midi black pleated skirt from next looked really good on her but was greeted nervously. She said she was too fat and other women would think "why is she wearing that?". I found out that we (men) are not the only ones being judged for our clothing choices. People are not necessarily wearing what they want to wear. They fear judgement.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Grok wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:39 pm I would not assume that all men are happy with their clothes.

A few may have envied those women they have seen skirted (however rare these days).
I had a guy directly tell me he was jealous of what I was wearing at a wedding once. I was in a mocker style Utilikilt, a shirt and tie, and a vest.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:39 pm I would not assume that all men are happy with their clothes.
Grok,

I think we could safely assume that a lot of men, and women, are not happy with their attire.
The envy aspect has certainly been with me for as long as I can remember and that is not yesterday.
For the "few", the decision to act on that desire is ultimately unique to the individual concerned.
The "boundary" mentioned earlier is the comfort zone that they do not wish to leave and that's natural.
However, that very uniqueness also means there is no magic formula for breaking that barrier painlessly.
The only advantage for a guy going out in a skirt for the first time today is knowing that other men have done it already.
Whether it helps to be aware that we were just about wetting our pants too is quite moot.
I honestly did think I was the only one and trusted to pure dumb luck.
Not complicated but not easy either. It was all I had but that led me to "plunge in" so to speak.
There is no magic, no lore and no shortcuts. Ultimately, each one- and every-man jack of us have to decide when the time is right.
It is a voyage into uncharted territory which we take alone unless you are remarkably lucky.
Reverses, there may be plenty for as many reasons too but fall off and get back on is the only answer to that.
Barleymower wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:28 am More men prepared to dress as they would like instead of waiting until the coast is clear.
Returning to the thread, wait and blend-in until the coast is clear, and nobody can condemn that either.
How you choose to dress is your own business, not mine nor anyone else's unless you decide to make it so.
Consider though, you could be part of the small but growing number of men who are working for the liberty and not fretting for the day when it will be handed out gratis and likely grudgingly too.
Barleymower wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:00 pm I'll also get my daughter the beautiful durndle skirt for Christmas. She'll be made up.
Love it, makes me think I wish I was back at that size too.
Made-up would not even begin to express how I'd have felt getting that as a gift at the same age.
To avoid a hijack by drift, I am going to post a previously undisclosed selection of photos, keep an eye on "To Skirt or not to Skirt".
Steve