Sydney Morning Herald: Mini skirts are back: Let women wear them in peace

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sydney Morning Herald: Mini skirts are back: Let women wear them in peace

Post by Bodycon »

Dust wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:13 am Societies are not primarily "patriarchal." When men are expected to die for women, that ain't patriarchy. Men have always been expected to take on the risks that keep society moving forward and to protect and provide for women.
I think you are missing something in your synopsis. In a patriarchal society, the very rules you rile against, were instigated by men.

Men chose to let women go first, to die for them etc. What, if any, choice did those women have at the hands of their masters?

So, blame your male forebears; had past society been equal, we would not be where we are now. The control and ego of those ancestors have put us in the merde.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The consensus over here seems to be that the man may be the head of the household providing he does what his wife says!!!!

As for the extreme of male power just look at the rule of the tali ban in Afghanistan. So sad.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:07 pm The consensus over here seems to be that the man may be the head of the household providing he does what his wife says!
Certainly not the case for my "Old man" Dennis.
Changed days, but I'm not sure that there would be a real consensus now.
I have no doubts that our "experience" clouds objectivity too and as for the international differences?
Even for me, it is ironic that most family decision making was mine, other than utter apathy over my skirts and dresses, Mrs K's input was negligible on a whole raft of things.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

The joke from the movies goes “the man made be the head of the household, but the woman’s is the neck. Where she turns the man, he goes”
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Sinned wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:07 pm As for the extreme of male power just look at the rule of the tali ban in Afghanistan. So sad.
I'm told that over there, the males are responsible for the women in their lives, no matter what. A young boy must provide for his mother and older sisters if his father dies. This is regardless of the females' ability to provide for themselves, and could mean hard labor or even something that is essentially prostitution. The fact that he technically has some authority to go with that responsibility is a perverse sort of justice...

There was a small stink years ago about this with military members over there being told not to step in on behalf of the boys being exploited and sexually abused by this system. They were told to stay out of it because "that's their culture" and so on.