New to the forum - Help needed

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New to the forum - Help needed

Post by Barleymower »

In a small attempt to bring the thread back to a positive place: Here's my look. I cropped my head off. I'm not sure why. It just seemed like the right thing to do.
I have about 5 other skirts in different styles but all of them are below the knee. I'm a fan of soft, light fabrics. I wear the skirts with men's polos, tees or a shirt. I'm not a fan of tights. I either wear my boots, leather shoes or trainers. Don't get me wrong I like dresses too, I just haven't found one that suits me yet.
Apologies for the catalog pose 😀 I like my look and hope you do too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Barleymower on Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:57 pm
Jim wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:45 amTo me and some others, "non-conforming" is something worth valuing, while to you and some others it is a slur.
I completely agree with you that nonconforming is something worth valuing. It means that we don't blindly follow the herd like sheep.
Importantly, there is no value judgment being made here -- each and every one of us has intrinsic worth and value. The discontent is about the labelling, and the message that the label conveys. Nobody likes getting classified into a box that he does not identify with and may have personal prejudices against.

The statistics don't lie. The overwhelming percentage of guys are gender-normative and hetero-normative. Bur, because of societal shifts, the "box" they're expected to fit into has gotten very "small" indeed -- to the point where the only way "out" has been to essentially lie about their true natures simply so they can be themselves. "GNC" did not exist 50 years ago. It didn't need to. Guys were allowed wide latitudes of expression. That's not the case now due to societal constraints, and that's making the overwhelming majority uncomfortable -- and all they want to do is live their lives unperturbed by those around them, as they could in years gone by. This last point is why I fear a backlash against the current wave of Political Correctness, trans-*, LGBQWTF, and the like -- and I don't want to be in the cross-hairs.

Guys need to take that behavioural latitude back; if that can happen, the entire need for the likes of "GNC" simply goes away. I'm not saying that the 1960s and '70s were a panacea: they were not. It was a very troubled, very turbulent time -- but it was a time when men still had the latitude to be themselves and not macho automatons. The odds of that happening approach nil. So, is it a men's rights issue? Absolutely!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I agree with crfriend that it is a men's rights issue, however as you stated the probability of men taking back their fashion freedom is nil because the overwhelming majority of men just don't care. They are satisfied and sometimes overwhelmed with the very limited clothing options that they have. They care so little that they don't even buy their own clothing. Their wives and girlfriends purchase their clothing.

The positive aspect of the GNC label is that it encompasses all sexualities. In the past men like us wearing a skirt would simply be relegated to the "homosexual" pigeon hole. I would much rather identify as GNC than homosexual. YMMV but that is my opinion.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:14 pmIn a small attempt to bring the thread back to a positive place: Here's my look.
That works well, and if you're happy with it all the better!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Thanks for the kind words.
My wife, who often braves the world with me says they wait until I've walked past and then pull faces at each other. Its teenage girls, mums, older women and the occasional bloke - so I'm told.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:14 pm In a small attempt to bring the thread back to a positive place: Here's my look.
I have about 5 other skirts in different styles but all of them are below the knee.
That is nice. So far all my skirts are plain - I haven't yet stumbled across a patterned skirt that works for me - but that one looks very good.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Hi Myopic Bookworm,
Next are not selling the skirt any more, I got mine from ebay. There are a few on there at good prices. Search for 'Next abstract skirt'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185496115915 ... Sw4BlilL4c

trouble is they are all on the small side ie size 12. Mine is size 16 which fits my 36inch waist
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A size 16 is supposed to fit a 35" waist in the old "subtract 29 from the waist size" methodology. Well, in theory anyway and we all know how often that works in practice.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I've tried a 14 and it's a bit of a squeeze. And if it's silk you have two hopes of stretching it - no hope and Bob hope. Tough stuff silk.
Wearing skirts has been a steep learning curve. Women have hips and women's skirts fit around the navel. I started pulling them up so they fit properly. It's a bit of an effort to keep them up so now I mostly just let them drop down to my man hips and wear the skirt sarong style.
I'm looking forward to the day the make a decent silk skirt to fit men.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I managed to pick up this skirt in a size 12 on eBay. I haven't worn it out of the house yet but it has a nice look and feel. But the separate lining tends to grab the knees, so I may find a way of adapting that.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:58 am I managed to pick up this skirt in a size 12 on eBay. I haven't worn it out of the house yet but it has a nice look and feel. But the separate lining tends to grab the knees, so I may find a way of adapting that.
Well done! Yes the skirt is a tiny bit restricting a knee level. I got used to it. I was more bothered by the zip poking me.

I've just made another purchase - loving it. It's also a silk, cotton combo.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Ed (my youngest) and I went out in London yesterday. I was wearing my new black and white skirt. We went to the London eye, the national gallery, a chicken place and James park for a Solero.
All in, a good reception with a nice conversation with a lady on the train. She agreed with Ed that MacDonalds bagels taste like dried up ice-cream. And another lady in the national gallery who chatted about Josef Israelis fishermen. A nice bit of acceptance all round.
Here's me and Ed at the London eye
Capture.JPG