short break

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
maninafrock

short break

Post by maninafrock »

Looks like we’re not having a “proper” holiday again this year so we plan on doing what we did last year – several short breaks in different parts of England. To get the ball rolling we’ve just had 3 days sightseeing in the Worcester/ Stratford on Avon area. Didn’t take any trousers, just a selection of dresses and tops. It’s a 5 hour drive so stopped half way and spent an hour at Harlow Carr ( Royal Horticultural Society’s gardens at Harrogate). Cue photoshoot – for me not the plants! Pic shows me in a very comfortable dress for driving. Still had it on when we went for evening meal at hotel and am not aware of anyone even noticing what I was wearing.
On the first full day I wore something much more conspicuous. MOH had bought it for me but I felt it was a bit low at the front so I paired it with a dark green t-shirt. (I did end up going for our evening meal minus the t-shirt). First place we went to was Hartlebury Castle where there was a Costumes Through the Ages exhibition. Cue photoshoot – I think the models look better than me! Then it was onto Whitley Court and Gardens. It was a massive stately home completely destroyed by fire in 1937. The ruins and extensive grounds have been turned into a tourist attraction. Rest of the day was spent wandering around Worcester. Lots of charity shops – picked up a little purple dress for a couple of pounds. Warm day so lots of people just sitting around enjoying the sunshine. Did attract the odd glance but not aware of anyone staring. Surprising considering what I was wearing.
To be continued….

Jackie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: short break

Post by Jim »

Fine look.
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Thanks Jim. Day 2 was spent in Shakespeare’s birth place – Stratford on Avon. On way down we stopped at the Medical Museum in Worcester. Not my cup of tea but wife found it fascinating. Stratford itself was lovely – lots of “olde worldly” buildings. Plenty for visitors to do. We went to the Butterfly Farm only a few minutes from town centre and the MAD museum (Mechanical Art Design)). Full of Heath Robinson style contraptions and automatia.
As was to be expected, Shakespeare was everywhere. OK, Shakespeare tearooms, Shakespeare bookshops are fine but do we really need a Shakespeare shoe shop or a Shakespeare repair shop? (Never did find out what they repaired). And who buys a nodding Shakespeare? Lots of photo opportunities but chose to pose with Hamlet for today’s pic. Alas, poor Yorik.
To be continued…..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

For our final full day we visited one of England’s finest “chocolate box” villages – Bourton on the Water. Started off at Birdland (more to see than just birds) then on to the country’s only grade 2 listed Model Village. The model village is actually a fairly accurate scale model of Bourton on the Water. After lunch at one of the local eateries we visited another local attraction – the motor museum. Far better than I was expecting. A vast collection of motoring paraphernalia, toy cars, agricultural stuff and anything remotely connected with automobiles. And I came across one of my favourite cars - a Ford Zephyr from the 1960’s. In fact it was one of these cars that I learnt to drive on.
The following day, instead of driving straight home, we stopped at the Avoncroft Open Air Museum. It’s all historic old buildings at risk of demolition/collapse which have been dismantled and rebuilt in the museum grounds. They also house the National Collection of Telephone Boxes (more interesting than it sounds!) but it was their little collection of ornamental chimney pots which caught my eye and provided the photo opportunity.
Well that’s the first of our short breaks over. “Dressed” 100% of the time. Felt comfortable in myself, never felt embarrassed, awkward or self conscious even though I’ve only been dressing for about 2 years. I think the secret is just to act normally and don’t think too much about what you are wearing. Yes, you will get the occasional look and maybe a longer stare but look upon it as brightening up someone’s life!
On the plus side I did notice that in many of the places we visited the staff couldn’t do enough to help us – to the point of being over attentive!
Jackie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

All good looks and shouldn't have raised any comments. We have decided to leave our foreign excursions till next year so we will probably be doing day trips this year. Maybe a long weekend to Edinburgh, if they will let us in! We can afford the trips but can't face the disruption at the airports at the moment. We prefer to fly from Manchester because we get a lift to York station, get on the train and off at Manchester airport.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Nice pics, Jackie.

Familiar views too; I live less than ten miles from Stratford.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice lot of pics, MF. Familiar territory. Got a daughter-in-law who blows her clarinet for the Shakespeare theatre people. Nice Zephyr, but I prefer the previous model with the taller bit of grille in the middle.(I inherited one from my Dad). Just personal. Sensible black tights for the prevailing temps. and tight little skirts not 'in your eye' at all.
How you managed to shoo off all the other tourists for the pics beats me. Perhaps you hire a gang of bully boys ?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Very natural looking outfits, would hardly get a second glance.
I am impressed with the chimney pots, well beyong my modest skills as a bricklayer.
I am with Tom regarding the Zephyr, also preferring the poor man's Aston Martin look.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

The mark3 Zephyrs were certainly big beasties. Very American looking, very distinctive, much loved by both the cops and robbers in tv programmes of the day. You either love them or hate them but I think we all have a soft spot for our first car.
Tom, the tight skirts are actually dresses - I have a problem with anything restrictive round my waist. But as you can see I've achieved a skirt look by wearing a suitable jumper on top.
Jackie
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi maninafrock. Meant to reply sooner but as you know, I'm on my own away trip - on last leg now - with limited wifi and £££ data roaming charges. Will send some more pics soon from Dubai.
All great looks in your photos and I see you bravely wore that green dress you didn't think you'd ever ever outside! Well done indeed! As you are finding out, very few notice or even care about what you are wearing which is as it should be.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Must admit did swither a bit whether to wear the green dress out and about. In the end just put it on and went down to the restaurant for breakfast. Barely got noticed so left it on for rest of the day. Despite my man boobs starting to show (side effects of medication) I think I managed to put over the message that I am a man who wears dresses and not a man trying to look like a woman.
I mentioned earlier that we got the best of service in most places we visited. When I was browsing the half price bulbs at our local garden centre yesterday It wasn't clear which ones were in the sale. I went over to ask a young female assistant who took me back to the bulbs and then went to great lengths to explain the pricing. Then she went on to say that if she had her own garden she would choose this and this and isn't that one a lovely colour......do I have a big garden....do I grow veg....have I seen the reduced plants outside. We chatted like this for a good 5 minutes till eventually she said "I'll leave you to pick your bulbs, if there is anything else I can help you with I'm working out the back"! I wonder if I would have received such sevice if Iwas wearing trousers!