Perils of driving

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Perils of driving

Post by Epiceneguy »

Quick question,
I quite regularly drive around wearing skirts and I've noticed in warm weather when I have the windows open I tend to get a fair bit of fluttering (for want of a better word) around the hem of my skirt, it's something I've never noticed with females passengers who have worn skirts when I've been driving (but then again I've never really looked).

Don't get me wrong it's not unpleasant, just a bit Marilyn Monroe esq, lol.
I understand that the fact most of my skirts are just above the knee doesn't help and there's also the added factor of warmer days leading to lighter materials, just wondering if you guys get this too
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Perils of driving

Post by moonshadow »

Heavier skirts won't flutter as bad. Light weight ones tend to. Macabi skirts are pretty bad for this... I usually just tuck the skirt under one leg.

I've also been known to hike up the skirt while driving. The only ones that would be able to see anyway, are probably truck drivers... and if they don't want to see the upper thighs of a "trap" then they ought not to be looking anyway!

Perverts! :lol: :twisted:

As for knee length and higher, it seemed to me those were less likely to flutter as there wasn't as much skirt to catch the wind.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Must be driving with windows down and no AC or off.
Probably more of a problem in a coupe jeep rather than SUV or large sedan car

I don't have that problem of course at this time of the winter year who would
but I drive with windows up and AC on - too darn much pollutents in the air and
other fumes and crap in the air to contend with.
Driving with the AC on de-humidifies the air keeping foggy vapors off the inside windows
yeah in the winter too !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I usually tuck extra fabric under one thigh and then it's not an issue.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My Swede-steed personal conveyance has no sunroof or similar and dropping the windows on a warm day is only for town driving if that. Climate control is just that and works best with windows firmly closed. Near zero wind noise even at speed. MOH can have her own temperature for her seat/feet &c. I just like it at around 20 deg. Centipede and love to drive long stretches skirted. Always a flared mini or knee-length. Denim is safest for garage forecourts & paystations. I'm not into attracting comments.

When heading to our Kerry bolthole I delay essential shopping until I'm nearly there. Almost every garage (gas station) here has its attached little supermarket for such supplies. At my age the greatest peril while driving any distance is the risk of falling asleep at the wheel. On several occasions recently I have had to spot the onset and head the fatigue off with a snack and a slug of liquid. That's a problem with quiet modern cars, they are soporific and there's not enough actual driving to do a lot of the time while one is underway.

The antidote for me here is to rejoice at the sight of that roadside sign 'Welcome to Kerry', past which I have still 73 miles to go, the last 50 of which are the most challenging. You certainly wouldn't fall asleep there!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

What are the perils and who is at peril? Hopefully fluttering won't distract you enough to cause an accident.
I do a lot of driving in mini skirts and never noticed any problems except for when the sun is on my legs and I cover them with my hat or something.
I sometimes wonder if persons monitoring trafic cameras get a glimpse through the windscreen but I can't imagine it causing a heart attack or psychological harm. Perhaps a voluminous skirt could blow up like an airbag and obstruct the drivers vision.
I never wore a miniskirt when I owned a series 1 Landrover on which the top of the doors were below knee level. I have now "progressed" to a series 2 where I am well covered.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here Series 1 Landys are really sought after and become restoration projects. To the extent that a restoration must conform to official specifications and use, second hand if necessary, original Landy parts. Third party or unofficial parts are frowned upon.

Back to the topic. I have driven in a skirt and have not come across any problems but then I have only had hatchbacks/saloons without aircon only heaters. Never been that rich until recently and now little desire for an expensive luxury car even though I could now afford one. Old habits die hard. My late father told me once that I should remember that all cas are just heaps of scrap metal, just some more than others.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

For most part i wear Kilts when driving, They have bit more weight to them so they dont tend to have mind of there own.
As for light weight skirts well depending on car or truck how fast air moves in some strange ways,. My long skirts are very thin but because of how long they are there down to my feet so not going to go any were, Something much shorter would be sitting on your lap. I remember my mom putting nickels in hem of skirt for my cousin so it would fly out when she danced and spun, It also helped keep it down in wind,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Chirp » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:29 pm

I remember my mom putting nickels in hem of skirt for my cousin so it would fly out when she danced and spun, It also helped keep it down in wind,
With inflation, does that require a Quarter today to control airflation? :?

For those keen on things found in skirt hems, try: Six and a Half Deadly Sins by Colin Cotterill! :wink:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The only "Peril" I encounter, when entering the car, is getting the hem caught in the door :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

From this thread, I'm kind of glad that I use public transport.
Only peril there is meeting some sociable people, such a burden you know.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:34 pm The only "Peril" I encounter, when entering the car, is getting the hem caught in the door :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Ha, reminds me of sliding off the Landrover seat with the back of the hem caught up at waist level.
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:38 pm From this thread, I'm kind of glad that I use public transport.
Only peril there is meeting some sociable people, such a burden you know.
Steve.
Oh, there can be some when wearing a mini skirt; bare legs on public seating, seats facing each other, steep stairs in 2 level trains, standing in a train when others are seated, windy weather on ferries (not limited to minis).
All good fun though as it would be boring in pants.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia