Are you driving up the Skirt sales?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Are you driving up the Skirt sales?

Post by Faldaguy »

Probably not, but maybe there is some hope we will see more on the street? From CNBC article today on post-pandemic (post stimulus?) spending:
Skirts, jumpsuits and dresses
Skirts have been the top item flying off shelves in recent months. They were selling out at a higher rate than any other category on a weekly basis, according to research by Refinitiv, a financial market data firm, and StyleSage, an e-commerce analytics company. The two companies analyzed the average sold-out rates of apparel and other merchandise on about 20 retailers’ websites from Feb. 28 to March 21. Those retailers included major departments stores like Kohl’s and specialty apparel shops like H&M and American Eagle.

For skirts, the average monthly sold-out rate was 21% for the month of March versus 11% for the prior March, despite the discount levels being nearly the same.

Customers also flocked to other spring-friendly wardrobe additions, including jumpsuits and dresses, according to the companies’ analysis.

Elizabeth Shobert, StyleSage’s vice president of marketing and digital strategy, said people are “allowing optimism to start coming into their decisions.” They are buying clothes for an upcoming vacation or going to a restaurant with friends.
What we probably need is not on run-on skirts, but a run in skirts! An annual Skirt run for some charity? 8)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Are you driving up the Skirt sales?

Post by denimini »

Not I.
I only get the benefit a few years later when they get donated to the charity shops or put on eBay.

I wonder if people are buying skirts and dresses because they want to cheer themselves up, are feeling more optomistic or they are demanding freedom. If they start a run on mini skirts, then it would be the latter two points, going by my understanding from a recent radio program about Mary Quant.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I'm rather surprised about that, given how most people have been working at home because of the virus and don't have to dress up. You'd think the price raise would be on sweats, not skirts. Interesting!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

JeffB1959 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 am I'm rather surprised about that, given how most people have been working at home because of the virus and don't have to dress up. You'd think the price raise would be on sweats, not skirts. Interesting!
Skirts can be more comfortable than sweats. They don't have to be dressing up.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Economist George Taylor theorised a hemline index that the length of women's skirts is an indication of economic prosperity - short in good times and long in recessions. So if women are going for shorter skirts then we must be in line for better times ahead.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

It could be as offices start to open up again, people need to buy more work skirts, especially if you've gone up a skirt size or two during Lockdown :lol:

I've put on weight and am almost a 14 from being a 10 :shock: going skirt shopping was delightful now the shops have opened again in UK :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...