Public safety in skirting 2021

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Public safety in skirting 2021

Post by moonshadow »

Well, I wore one of my usual girly boho numbers Sunday to the grocery store, and for fuel.

The reaction was about normal.... none as usual.

I do still expect a [slight] uptick in obnoxious behavior, but hopefully that will be the extent of it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

I live in the purple area called the Shenandoah Valley (cities are blue, counties are red). I wore my usual denim skirt out grocery shopping Saturday morning. I think the staff at the local stores are starting to recognize me! I wore a tartan kilt to church Sunday (it's kind of expected of me now :D ). I wore the same outfit to Costco "across the mountain" in Charlottesville (quite a bastion of liberalism!). In all of my skirting/kilting, I have not gotten any more than a few odd looks from others. I haven't experienced any increase in my anxiety about wearing skirts since the events last week. I do, however, live in a small city that is a bit more open minded than other areas in the Valley.

I have two teenage daughters who encourage me daily to be me. I taught them to be themselves. I guess I am now reaping the rewards of good teaching! I did not vote for the incoming president, but I have felt a bit more at ease about wearing my skirts out and about since the election. (Not that another four years of our current President would have made a difference about my skirt wearing.)

Moon, you bring up a good point. However, those in power are seeking to divide us and subdue us. I, for one, refuse to bow to them! I have the benefit of having kilts as well as skirts. When I feel nervous about wearing a plain skirt, I just put on a kilt!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well... I think I may have misjudged this... I may have been wrong.

Second day out, wearing what (for some reason) is considered one of my less popular skirts. No reaction.

There has been another curiosity in my locale... a complete lack of political discussion.

It's like after January 6th, somebody just shut the spigot off... it's interesting because prior to that, it seems like everybody had something to say, I had to listen to it constantly... set since Jan 6th... hardly a whisper from anyone... not from family, work colleagues, customers, etc...

It's... rather pleasant.

Might this nightmare finally be drawing to an end...?

Peace.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 amWell... I think I may have misjudged this... I may have been wrong.
[...]
There has been another curiosity in my locale... a complete lack of political discussion.
[...]
Might this nightmare finally be drawing to an end...?
I rather think that a lot of people were so gobsmacked that the US Capitol got sacked by an angry mob incited by their own Leader and His henchmen that some sobriety about how their own reactions may have played a role. Whether that will wane or hang on is open to conjecture, but I'm hoping that somehow, maybe, the country can heal a few of its wounds -- and those wounds go deep.
Peace.
We could use that right now.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 am ... since Jan 6th... hardly a whisper from anyone... not from family, work colleagues, customers, etc...
That's the sound of a lot of people mentally back-tracking and trying to work out how to justify their previous stance.  Don't disturb it, the reaction could be violent.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There's some blow back for Trump ex-staffers having difficulty even getting interviews for jobs. Also the Trump organisation is being ostracised, businesses withdrawing contracts and business including New York City. Republican Senators who supported Trump in trying to overturn the election are having political financial support suspended. His trial in the Senate may yet go against him. People may just be getting around to believing it may happen. It may also be the GOP's one chance to rid itself of the spectre of Trumpism and some are beginning to realise that.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pelmut is right Sinned, the "Trump" runs down to the core... his people are just regrouping, working through the cognitive dissonance.

Enjoy the silence... it won't last long... we are just in the eye of the storm.

Nevertheless, provided I don't prance around with a BIDEN button or hat, I should be fine around here...
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:19 amI am irritated that since Ben Chafin (R, VA 38th Senate district) died of covid-19, [...]
That's fake news. COVID-19 is a left-wing conspiracy and even if it does exist it's no worse than a mild case of the flu. Even POTUS had it and walked away with his head held high.
Nevertheless, provided I don't prance around with a BIDEN button or hat, I should be fine around here...
It's worth recalling one's surroundings. "Be careful out there."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:39 am
moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:19 amI am irritated that since Ben Chafin (R, VA 38th Senate district) died of covid-19, [...]
That's fake news. COVID-19 is a left-wing conspiracy and even if it does exist it's no worse than a mild case of the flu. Even POTUS had it and walked away with his head held high.
For the record, I am correctly quoted here, however apparently I edited out the "political jab" prior to Carl's submission. (Lines crossed)

I had second thoughts about me drifting another thread into another one of my political rants... I'm trying to quit...

It's hard, and there being a fresh one in "off topic"....

Uagh....

But on the reply at hand... I'm actually amazed no locals haven't called it a hoax yet.

One thing is for sure, whoever takes his place will be as Trumpie as the day is long. I read the news article on all of the candidates... then proceeded to induce vomiting. :roll:
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:58 amFor the record, I am correctly quoted here, however apparently I edited out the "political jab" prior to Carl's submission. (Lines crossed)
I hit the "quote" button and realised that what was in it didn't provide the fodder I wanted so I cheated a little bit, used the "back" button on my browser, found what I wanted to quote, and went at it.

I enjoy farce as much as the next guy, but I am definitely going to read the riot act to my table-mates at my local for abandoning me to another local blow-hard -- who had the audacity to challenge me about computer history. The results weren't pretty, and I hope I don't get banned from the place...
One thing is for sure, whoever takes his place will be as Trumpie as the day is long. I read the news article on all of the candidates... then proceeded to induce vomiting. :roll:
Give it time. Sometimes (although not usually) human nature will shine through.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by moonshadow » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Pelmut is right Sinned, the "Trump" runs down to the core... his people are just regrouping, working through the cognitive dissonance.

Enjoy the silence... it won't last long... we are just in the eye of the storm.
I fear it may indeed be the 'eye of the storm' with the latest on Fox and good ole Sleepy Time guy Mike Lindell pushing marshal law via hand-picked Kash Patel swab to CIA. Seems hard to believe but the likes of Dobbs pushing "a new leak of documents" Monday to prove all the horrors H Clinton and crew drummed up.... Well, this does not fit into public skirting safety, but it may not be the time to visit your Capital skirted, yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well... that's all that is missing from this whole ridiculous ordeal...

A good old fashioned pillow fight...
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If you are right, Moon, and Trumpism goes to the core then the GOP needs to be careful and pronounce Trump as guilty as charged and bar him from holding any public office ever again otherwise they will never be rid of him until he dies, and maybe not even then, as he has family that will want to be in on the act. This is a once in a lifetime chance for the GOP to reclaim itself otherwise they may as well rename the party to "The Trump Family Fascist Party". I have learned all kinds of nuances that never even occurred to me as to the Trump problem and the many solutions, most of them not good.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Those distressing scenes on and in the Capitol mad me wonder why people cannot take loosing an election. It happens and was almost guaranteed with Trump and his poisonous words, lies and accusations.

As a European citizen (Irish/ British) I tended to see the US as a fairly stable country in the political sense with strong views on both sides but in the main keeping rivalries on a civilised basis. But now....well I do not know. Sadly there seems to be a minority hell bent on destroying your country and have no sense.

Living in the UK we have our elections local and national (mind the BREXIT vote caused friction mostly verbal) and we accept defeat then learn from it. Winning also has lessons needing to be learnt. We do not turn to violence, lesson learned after the English Civil War.

I hope and pray that the peoples of the US can reconcile and move away from the violence that has shamed the US on TV screens around the world. A peaceful transfer of power would be a great start as would those who shamed the US having the guts to surrender to the Police and take responsibility for their own actions, but I feel they won't do that and blame others. :( :( :(
Newtothis

Post by Newtothis »

I am kinda shocked this is even a topic or worry. I consider myself somewhat of a conservative and very christian. Who cares what you wear? I think there is alot of misinformation online and in the news, then that is carried out into discussions around town. I go out everyday and work, shop, grab a bite to eat, around people with different views, cultural differences, political opinions, and I have never feared for my life or even my safety. I say hello, thank you, have a nice day, and never have a problem. For some reason everybody thinks everything needs to be black or white these days. Then all shades of gray need to pick a side. That is just rediculous thinking, because nobody agrees 100%. It has been proven that diversity really only exists in our personalities. So calling somebody a left-wing lunatic or a right-wing nut job, get us nowhere. Working together respecting each other's views and opinions through civilized discussions is the only way any forward progress will ever be made. Back on track though the proud boys (that some of you are calling trumpsters or whatever derogatory term you have come up with for others with different opinions than yours) even wore kilts, so I still am not understanding the connection between being scared of skirts or kilts in the current times.