Gonna have to carry a purse???

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gonna have to carry a purse???

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have used a purse almost since I started to wear skirts. I use a shoulder bag and wear it cross body so I don't worry about forgetting it some where. My current bag has one pocket on the outside in front and two pockets on the outside in the back. These are great for keys and stuffing business cards etc. in them. I can carry just about anything I need except the kitchen sink in it... :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

For many, many years I used a fanny pack. But technology killed that bag. My smart phone was much too big for it. I found a black leather shoulder bag on the Internet and that is my bag to go now. When walking I have it over one shoulder and when I need to have my hands free, it goes across the body.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

The consensus here seems to be the cross-body messenger type bag. A quick look at Amazon suggests these are pretty substantial. Do any of you have examples of light-weight ones that are natural/comfortable to carry so that you are really not aware of them? Hell, I wear skirts for comfort -- I don't even like heavy skirts -- why add a big bag -- I gave that up when I left the Arctic! Seriously, a billfold, some keys, cell phone, handkerchief and note pad are about all the pockets provided for -- and they did give some 'security'. I'd like to come as close as reasonably possible to that ideal.

Do you keep them on at all times, or rely upon memory to watch and retrieve your bag at each stop? (I already tend to leave things laying around -- could be a disaster in the making with everything in a loose bag.)

Though I'm not as aware of the lines as I might/should be, sometimes using what pockets a skirt may offer does impact the look negatively, so even having a seamstress add pockets does not seem a reliable solution. [In fact, my couple of attempts at getting pockets added or altered, failed rather badly.]

Any other "tricks of the trade" out there? For those of you who have 'graduated' to blouses and more stylish shirts -- a further loss of pocket space seems to be rearing its ugly head.

Flada guy,
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

well it won't help much I suspect but .. I have a small silk wallet that can attach to a bra - to the band under my arm or to a shoulder strap, or to the gore (between the cups in case the terminology is unfamiliar)

There are also silk versions that go into a stocking top - between your thighs etc.. There is likely something discreet out there that will work?

As a side note - you will get used to carrying handbag - its like second nature and you DO know if you forget it... because you always have it. Once it becomes a habit etc then you won't loose your handbag!

cheers
NZF
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:16 am The consensus here seems to be the cross-body messenger type bag. A quick look at Amazon suggests these are pretty substantial. Do any of you have examples of light-weight ones that are natural/comfortable to carry so that you are really not aware of them? Hell, I wear skirts for comfort -- I don't even like heavy skirts -- why add a big bag
I have several, including one I made, that are around 19cm x 15cm. I've had mine a while and fashion changes, but here is something similar in size: https://www.replayjeans.com/cy/shop/pro ... -bag/10597
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I bought a military looking shoulder bag from American Sience and Surplus. It has two outside velcro fastened pockets which are perfect for my iPhone and credit cards. It has a zipper compartment and a larger compartment for what you may need. It was low cost, well designed, well made, looks like it could be a camera case.

A camera case might also do what you want it for. They come in a variety of sizes and the interior can be changed with the velcro dividers.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

have a small silk wallet that can attach to a bra - to the band under my arm or to a shoulder strap, or to the gore (between the cups in case the terminology is unfamiliar) There are also silk versions that go into a stocking top - between your thighs etc.. There is likely something discreet out there that will work?

Thanks guys for the specifics. NZF -- your style may be smart, classy & "spot-on" but discrete is not the first word that comes to mind :shock:-- something more along the lines of antonym, antithesis, & oxymoron -- :wink: ! Anyway, yes I may have a useful old camera bag, albeit one for a newer digital might be better suited. Next time I'm in Ecuador (Cotacachi -- the leather capital) might be a great time to have a custom design made. I may have to go without dollars or keys for a while until I learn that sense of something missing if I don't have a bag in my hands before I risk such deprivation  and consequent devastation!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi Faldaguy,

thanks! And I know I am 'out there' causing trouble - and I actually do like to stire it up - hence I can be a little nervous but also enjoy wearing clothes that frame my body, and pushing some boundaries for fun.

Back to a handbag - I can assure you it would become second nature. Its a little awkward knowing how to handle one, and how to handle different styles, things like how to carry it, how to hold and get things while holding it etc... but once you've done it a bit its effortless. And its just so convenient.

I handbag even in jeans and shorts (admittedly jeans is perhaps literally once or twice per year) but I still carry a handbag cause its better.

Cheers
NZF
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

As stated elsewhere on this thread, there are plenty of very stylish Italian bags out there specifically for men. I own several, all leather. The problem I find is the bigger the bag. The more stuff I carry around. I did leave my bag next to a clothes rack when trying on a jacket. Didn’t notice till in the next shop. I recovered it luckily but it did give me a fright.
Another advantage of a bag over pockets is the easy access when seated. Difficult in a skirt impossible in jeans
:roll:
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hi Faldaguy,

thanks! And I know I am 'out there' causing trouble - and I actually do like to stire it up - hence I can be a little nervous but also enjoy wearing clothes that frame my body, and pushing some boundaries for fun.

Hola NZF,
There is probably a 'private' section of this site for personal messages, so let me know if I need to employ same (and where it might be?!).

Just curious, where in Kiwi land are you? We spent a year based in Auckland (Mt. Eden) and traveled the country from one end to the other -- love north, North Island; in the days before I was wearing skirts full time, but I did often wear my gym wrap-skirt after a swim or workout back to the house, probably a a kilometer along Mt. Eden Road -- a few glances, but nothing of note save the five Asian women that ran a store I stopped in a few times, that brought smiles whether from my attire or hopes of another sale... :)
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Gidday Faldaguy,

Yep Auckland is home for me. Moved up there a few years back. I live 10 mins from Mt Eden.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Since I'm in skirts, leggings, pants with no pockets all the time I have to carry a bag of some sort.

I found a small handbag with a long strap that I can wear cross-body if I like, it will hold my wallet, cellphone, car keys, and room for something else like a checkbook, which I never carry.

I have a larger bag that I can carry all sorts of stuff in but it's too big for an all-day carry bag since it can weigh up to 20lbs.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The option to all this is to wear a utility type kilt with cargo pockets off the hip and where else you need them - - -
Fashionable - well that's to be determined if you walk main street or the back of the beyond.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Pockets?

That's another reason I have a couple of utility kilts, pockets are not only included, but can carry keys, wallet and mobile phone without any issues.

Fashionable? granted, you don't see very many other blokes running around wearing them, but I have seen another 5 or 6 blokes in utility kilts around town in the last year at least.
I'd say 95% of people either don't pay any attention, couldn't care, or otherwise don't provide any visual reaction to you when out and about. I've found that the only people to have ever made a comment have been women, and all have been positive.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Most of my skirts have pockets but few will fit my wallet (not a fat one either) and fewer will fit my mobile electronic device.
Hence, for the last few years I have used this shoulder bag when out and about. Everything I need is already stowed in it and I just have to grab it and go, only carrying car keys in my pocket. It has 3 sections under the flap with magnetic catch and one at the back that is quick to access.
bag_P3016962.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia